DSG or manual

I currently have a Superb Elegance 170 on order for my company car. There is a significant difference in CO2 emissions between the manual and DSG - 122 for the manual and 141 for the DSG. This equates to a real premium on BIK. Simple question ... is the DSG worth it?

Really depends how much you value a DSG box. I wanted a 4x4 170, so at the time I had no choice but to order a manual. The need to depress the clutch to start engine still annoys me, but apart from that it's a good box. Will I have a manual again though? No, as DSG is now available for 170 4x4, and for me being a private buyer,manual has no benefit.

So personally, I'd have a DSG, but I also have no financial penalty in owning one.

What you have to say to yourself is am I the diner or the butler,

In the league of things it goes like this

Man - You are doing the cooking

Auto - You are having it served to you

DSG - You are getting served by a naked waitress and she says, is there anything else Sir :giggle:

• Like 4

having come from a manual Superb 4x4 Estate that had a lovely manual 'box, i'm not sure i could go back to a manual - now driving an E class 7 speed Auto (altho not the biggest fan of the flappy-paddles; the Auto does a good job being an auto!) 

Al. 

dsg auto always. why would any one want to mess about changing the gears. unless you need to save money then yes manual.

bill

If you like using the remote to change channels on your TV get the DSG

If you get out of the chair and walk across the room to change the channel on your TV using the buttons on the set get a manual

Simple as that really

Regards all

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

Autos are overrated. I couldn't stand the superb DSG.

If you don't care what gear your car picks, want higher running cost, higher servicing cost and unknown future repair bills then try a DSG.

Edited by Kiwibacon

BTW I have never had an automatic before and now I have reached middle age I fancy letting the car take the strain, but not at the the likely cost impact on BIK.

BIK is the only consideration as servicing etc is picked up by the company and the car will be replaced in 3 years.

Edited by hulahoop7

Thanks all. Does anyone know why the DSG has such a negative impact on emissions? Does DSG mean that you loose stop start or brake recuperation?

It's the extra weight and I don't think you get start-stop even though it is possible with a DSG as some audis have it.

We recently went for a DSG. I think it's really nice with a diesel as it irons out the diesel and makes it feel completely different to a manual car.

Phil

The need to depress the clutch to start engine still annoys me...

IMHO you should always start engine with clutch depressed for the sake of engine "health" :giggle:

IMHO you should always start engine with clutch depressed for the sake of engine "health" :giggle:

Plus for safety.

You might forget to put into neutral or it might seem like it is but could be jammed and the gearbox actually isn't in neutral.

And as you say for the sake of the engine, flywheel, starter motor and battery.

Phil

If its not in gear there is no benefit to depressing the clutch. I'm quite capable of checking that a car is not in gear, and have always been capable of doing this. Just an example of Skoda dumbing down the car to cater for people that often forget to check that its not in gear.

You might forget to put into neutral or it might seem like it is but could be jammed and the gearbox actually isn't in neutral.

Lets assume that this unlikely event happens. Being unaware that the gearbox is jammed in gear, you lift you foot off the clutch, it jolts forwards and stalls. How's that beneficial? ;) ;) ;)

Actually even in neutral the innards of the box are still turning so there is still more effore required from the starter etc.

If it's jammed in gear and you turn it over it can jold forward. The starter motor on a car is quite powerful enough to actually move the car.

It's just good practice and something everyone should do anyway. I always do and and also check the car is in neutral.

Phil

• Like 1

If you like using the remote to change channels on your TV get the DSG

If you get out of the chair and walk across the room to change the channel on your TV using the buttons on the set get a manual

Simple as that really

Regards all

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

If you like the TV changing channel for you - get a DSG

If you like to change your own TV channel - get a manual :hi:

• Like 2

Actually even in neutral the innards of the box are still turning so there is still more effore required from the starter etc.

l

I'm not sure this is the case. I would say there is more drag from the crank thrust bearing than there is from the input gears turning freely in transmission fluid, so it would be difficult to argue in favour for this benefit. I'd bet it's there purely as a safety feature for the people that forget to check its in gear before starting.

As I stated above, it's only a personal annoyance so no big issues and I won't be writing any letters to my MP about it. ;) ;)

Steve :)

The need to depress the clutch to start engine still annoys me,

So personally, I'd have a DSG, but I also have no financial penalty in owning one.

I seem to recall in my last car, an Octy vRS I had to depress the brake to start the car as that had DSG. So either way a pedal has to be pressed to start the car.

I did have a financial penalty for owning the DSG as it was higher tax and less efficient and also the extra £160 for an oil change every 40k.

To the Op though, it was a pleasant drive and made motoring simple, but i'd say not to the tune of £120.

I have done the maths and it will cost me an extra 120 quid a month for the DSG. Looks like I will be using my left foot for a while longer.

For £120 a month I'd use whatever they wanted :giggle:  I was going to suggest the usual lengthy test drive to see which you prefer and as I've never driven a DSG I couldn't say which I would prefer, much would depend on the type of journeys you do too- if you did loads of stop start commuting stuff the DSG would be a big plus, if you spend hours at 70ish on the motorway the advantage would be limited I guess. One thing that bugs me with my Blackline (same engine) is that 1st gear is really low compared to 2nd which is a PITA when you're coming out of slow junctions etc. Either way enjoy your superb :thumbup:

The BIK for the manual would be £5104 against £6476 for the DSG. But these are the BIK values which you then pay tax on @ the appropriate level. So at 20% rate, the tax liability is only £1020 pa against £1295, so actually only £22-23 per month difference in tax. I'd pay that for a DSG.

This assummes standard P11D values and emissions from Skoda brochure. No allowance made for car fuel benefit.

Manual = 122g, £26,685 and 19%

DSG = 141g, £28,160 and 23%