Induction kits, air filter, exhausts... how's it actually work?

Evening all, 

So in anticipation of the end of the month or maybe a bit before when I get to drive my old heap to my Skoda dealer & come away with my vRS I've let some more petrol-headed mates fill my ears with talk about mods. With my warranty in mind & the possibility of trading in at the end of my PCP for something else I think I'll stay away from remapping however I did choose the vRS over a 1.6 so clean it's got no road tax Civic because the test drive won me over & I guess if I can make it a little more nippy with a few simple mods then why not.

So an induction kit & air filter seem easy enough with some picture guides, even for someone whose car knowledge ends with a tire change! I maaaaay think about a performance exhaust that I'll have a garage install for me later on. However I was just wondering if anyone would mind giving me an idiot's guide version of how all these bits make a difference & would it be a noticeable one?

Ta :)

• Like 1

An induction kit helps more air get to the combustion chamber quicker. The more air that goes through, the more fuel the ECU decides to chuck in and more fuel+air= bigger bangs.

Sports exhausts help the gases created by combustion get out quicker than a standard exhaust. If the gasses were slow moving through the exhaust, the engine can't run as efficiently and as powerfully because some are still in the cylinder, meaning less oxygen gets in, meaning smaller bang.

Hope that makes sense

@dobbey - thanks that was a really simple explanation. My eyes were glazing over when I looked on websites that sell the things! I've just gotta weigh up the risk v fun factor with citygate Skoda saying the warranty won't cover anything they can blame on installed mods.

Enjoy your car when you get it, and see what it is like before making Modification plans.

The Manufacturers Warranty is on the car as they sell you it.

If you intend doing changes for performance then you need to think if you are happy with doing that without being covered by a Warranty on the engine and gearbox.

Worth reading this one,

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/281414-beware-of-bhcom

See # 15,

& looking at the Engineers Report done by the expert.

http://www.more-bhp.com/user/downloads/Tiguan.pdf

Here the Tuner is maybe not to blame, but advising a Customer to remove a Re-map to try to fool when trying to get a Warranty Claim 

can land the Customer with a big bill and rightly so, they are trying to defraud a Company or the Insurance Company that covers the Warranties.

george

PS .

Maybe a Good Engineer to get to do a report, or one very similar in the part of the country that owners live.

That is for anyone having trouble with getting Skoda to take them seriously regarding fitting a good new engine in their car,

when its the maunfacturing at fault and not the driver.

It is a shame that Skoda/VAG and not giving detailed reports on the engines they dismantle then replace under warranty.

The OP said he would steer clear of re- mapping and only mentioned induction kits,filters and performance exhausts.

I think you will find that these will result in negligible performance gains but will definitely increase noise levels,....he can then convince himself the car is faster when it isn't.

• Like 1

@xk140 - steering clear of remaps initially cos that's definitely writing off my warranty. I was however letting myself get convinced the mods I mentioned would lead to performance gains. The more I ask around the more it seems opinions are divided about them so I'll probably just get my roof painted black to match the spec I originally wanted & just enjoy the car until my pcp draws to a close.

P.s. are remaps fine on their own without any hardware put in?

A stage 1 map is fine without any other mods. As all the oil use age and reliability issues have come to light tho you'd be mad to consider it. Plenty of folk on here have found that mapping the 1.4 tsi 180 only highlights its issues and makes them more likely to surface - i.e misfires etc. The induction and exhaust mods alone will add sweet-fa amount of power although they sound good depending on your taste!

Im a massive advocate of remaps and have them done to all my cars, but IMO judging by the issues on stock engines and personal experience of repairs on this car which I have paid for myself, obviously due to lack of warranty, I would say dont tune this engine.  I would even go as far as to recommend peope against purchasing this car full stop which is a shame as its a great little package when its not being unreliable.

2009-2012 the Ibiza Cupra, vRS, Polo GTi & Audi A1 185 ps have the exact same engines and gearboxes, 1.4 TSI Twincharged, 178bhp/180ps S-A with 7 speed DSG

& any of them can have the same issues,

The SEAT was available first and was the first to have the reported problems.

From late 2012 the Revised engine went in the vRS and in 2013 in the SEAT.

Some vRS with the CTHE engine have reported problems already. No idea yet on the SEAT, not reading their forums.

george

It appears to be much more prevalent on the seat forums than on here, no doubt due to a larger customer base maybe, or maybe because the general age of a Ibiza Cupra driver will be younger than the Fabia vRS driver, so more likely to use forums?

Ever since this engine was announced I thought great use of technology to have a turbo and s/c to give large engine performance from a small engine but wondered whether this would bring about reliability problems.

I won't be touching my engine,I use it as an every day car,appreciate it's ability to achieve 40+ mpg,and now and then I will click the paddles and get a healthy burst of acceleration out of it...that's it.

There are plenty of faster cars out there for the same money if you go slightly used, e.g.Focus ST old shape,which can be cheaply and reliability modded to nearly 300 hp,I believe.

I'm sure Sy has got a lot of enjoyment out of what he's done to his car,and how we all spend are money is our business and no one else's....but with the benefit of hindsight he may think he picked the wrong car.

• Like 2

As said above.

I have just used 3 tanks of Super Unleaded in 3 days of driving and having fun in temps above 27 degrees.

Never once wished i was going or could be going into a corner or coming out of one quicker than i was doing.

If i needed to, the throttle can be pushed down further and runs out someplace above 130 odds.

Low MPG was sometimes an indicated 21, & the high was in the high 40's sometimes.

21,000 miles on a Rebuilt vRS engine and not using a drop of oil.

george