Rear brakes stuck on slightly

gfwc

Evening chaps, hope you're all well.

Need some help to fix another problem with my Fabia :( noticed it earlier today when slowing to a stop in a car park, had a horrible brake squeak, but wasn't pressing the brakes.

So tried again by pulling away very slowly to see if it was definitely me and not just a passing car, but yes, it was mine.

It looks like the rear brakes are slightly ON all of the time.

Don't know how these work, can they be spaced? Is there caliber alignment that can be done?

Or are the pistons stuck?

Also got knocking on my bloody NSF side but that's another matter. :(

Done that now mate, thank you. Would never have even thought of calliper springs.

Had a good read, I'll give them a go seeing as they're so cheap and can be fitted super easily.

Once again, thank you.

Going to give this a go and hopefully will work.

G

I'm sure you've read about some having the anti-mooing ...thing....so worth sticking your head under to check you don't have em before ordering, though I believe someone may have modded that to fit the springs.

Also, one last thing, your dealer probably won't have em instock so worth ringing before heading down.

I'm sure you've read about some having the anti-mooing ...thing....so worth sticking your head under to check you don't have em before ordering, though I believe someone may have modded that to fit the springs.

Also, one last thing, your dealer probably won't have em instock so worth ringing before heading down.

Didn't see anything about the anti-mooing. I'll check up. Never heard of it.

Thanks for the advise, I saw a couple part numbers for the spring in question, I have VRS calipers. 

If you search on bickertons skoda part site, (on sponsors?) Think they show up in search but for an Octavia. Just search for 'spring' on there for right part no.s

So it's the same part for the octavia too?

Disc pads are always in contact with the brake disc to some degree.

Could it be a rust build-up on the discs, as the rear brakes are little used, as most of the braking will be up the front..

Disc pads are always in contact with the brake disc to some degree.

Could it be a rust build-up on the discs, as the rear brakes are little used, as most of the braking will be up the front..

The rear discs are quite corroded, and are quite low. I definitely need new discs and pads but I still don't think they should be squeaking without the brake pedal being touched :(

I have standard size rear discs with VRS callipers. What is the size of the standard rear disc? and because i have the VRS calipers, could larger discs be put on the rear? and what size? 

The wear on the rear discs isn't distributed over the entire disc. Its only wearing about 3cm or so of the disc with the rest not being touched.

Ordered springs today picking them up and fitting tomorrow.

My disks are like that too, worse on the nearside than offside though, seems to be a common issue but I haven't seen any cause or solution ...probably on account that I havent looked that hard..

So if anyone wants to propose a solution...?

• Like 1

Mine are more corroded on the offside. but I've had it up in the air and it still spins freely and brakes stop the wheel too. mine has the anti mooing bush so I couldn't fit my return springs :(

I'm thinking one pad is seized and the other still functions.

• 2 weeks later...

The rear discs are quite corroded, and are quite low. I definitely need new discs and pads but I still don't think they should be squeaking without the brake pedal being touched :(

I have standard size rear discs with VRS callipers. What is the size of the standard rear disc? and because i have the VRS calipers, could larger discs be put on the rear? and what size? 

The wear on the rear discs isn't distributed over the entire disc. Its only wearing about 3cm or so of the disc with the rest not being touched.

Rear disc size 232mm with the Front 288mm.

If I'm not mistaken the 232mm solid rear disc is the general size for most, if not all the Fabia range?

You can usually get Rear discs and pads c/o E-Bay around the £30 mark.

They're corroded, rusty, banjaxed... Think of the squeak as the change brake disks indicator and you'll be fine.

if they're anything like mine were, once you get them off and look at how worn they are you'll wonder why you delayed.

They're corroded, rusty, banjaxed... Think of the squeak as the change brake disks indicator and you'll be fine.

if they're anything like mine were, once you get them off and look at how worn they are you'll wonder why you delayed.

My rear brakes started making a noise after I fitted new pads and discs, so your theory doesn't always follow,

A happy noise?

Or maybe, "I've just fitted some very cheap pads that don't have anti-squeal bits added - but a bargain!" noise?

Just changed my rear callipers for new ones. Handbrake lever on both had become ceased again, so for less than £80 for two reconditioned ones and a touch of green hammerite, I didn't think it was worth messing with again.

Only a 45 min job to change two and works like new now.

Or a Genuine parts from TPS sort of noise

Oh, my bad!  TPS genuine VAG pads causing squealing - now that is handy as they should have anti-squeal material on the back!

I don't think the 'anti-mooing' bushes get in the way of the springs. I have the bushes and the springs fit fine.

The callipers are still knackered though so looks like ill have to buy some £80 callipers soon.