Rear fog swap R-L?

the posts above relate to us lot in the forces that serve in Germany. we have to get the fog lights changed to the lhs. you as a normal person who would like to visit Europe have no such problems!!

as we are residents in another country this is part of the lighting check that the vehicle has to go through to be registered with bfg ( the army in Germany )

Edited by john96

Thanks for the response John69.  I suspected that it applied to the rear fog lamps, had something to do with not causing confusion with the brake lights and even that it might only apply to members of the Armed Forces in Germany - does it not apply to any misguided Brit who might to choose to take a holiday in Germany?  However, I think that before my brain exploded I saw some mention of bi-Xenon lamps?

What really baffles me is why nobody at Skoda (or VAG) appears to have anticipated the possibility of people travelling between the UK & mainland Europe and provided a cheaper, simpler solution?  Perhaps like optional accessories it is just another hidden "Gotcha!" to permit further extortion by the dealers.

Having investigated this further, I have just discovered the most enlightening "Octavia III VCDS Adaptations" thread and seen that you can get a VCDS Interface Package to connect your ECU to a laptop for as little as £263 - SOOPER!

Tramell, the other part of our lighting check requires us to either fit lhd headlights!(!) or tourist mode on ( I have xenons now so that was a relief! )

But up until fairly recently, bfg lighting testers would not even accept the tourist mode/ flat beam even though the german tuv had no problems! I know of guys having to buy lhd xenons just to get the car registered here!

and yes. if skoda had either both fogs on ( which is against eu regs???) or a similar tourist mode for the rear I would have saved 160 quid!!!

Edited by john96

I had to pay 700 euros for LHD headlights for the car I have now (Superb) only for the law to change 3 weeks after my 45 day registering period, I am now stuck with 700 euro LHD xenon headlights as well as LHD halogen headlights (for the same car), so if you hear of anybody that require them please give me a shout. I am  posted back to UK at the end of Feb so they need to go.

Good luck shiffting them the BFG market place is shrinking all the Time i have the headlights for my Superb Along with the winter wheels no takers. Gonna take the winters back to the UK and Sell them over there, as for the Lights they will probably go in the bin.

Didn't do it right then!!

You only have a limited amount of time in the controller to make changes before it locks again, and if it does you have to come all the way out of the controller, go back in to the controller, enter the security access code again and then go in to adaptations again.

Cycling the ignition and removing the key in between changes helps as well.

Needs to be VCDS 12.12.0 as a minimum as well.

Not found an O3 this can't be done on yet, and I have done cars that were from April, June, October and end November. Mike Holroyd enabled them on a 1 week old vRS yesterday, so I doubt if it is a restriction on the controller that has been recently introduced.

Don't know - if you are thinking O2 facelift or Superb, are the lights configured the same way via adaptation channels on controller 09?

I think this may be a MQB platform only mod, so should work with Golf VII etc, as long as the bulb is there :-)

Long way from Germany!

I don't mind doing the odd few at a weekend :-)

I am collecting mine in February and driving up your way before going back to Germany. Any chance you can do mine and a couple of other changes like the auto closing boot, etc for a bottle of your chosen poison.

I am collecting mine in February and driving up your way before going back to Germany. Any chance you can do mine and a couple of other changes like the auto closing boot, etc for a bottle of your chosen poison.

gizmo68 lives near Canterbury if you are picking up from motorline. he was going to set a few things up on my yeti on pick up last year but due to my lack of sleep I had to bail out on him last minute! ( sorty again mate!!)

Not a problem - I have been known to have a drink with my friends Jack & Jim, but I don't expect payment etc.

PM me nearer the time - weekends are best for me :-)

That works for me. Living here does have some perks. I'll be in touch once I have dates.

Don't know - if you are thinking O2 facelift or Superb, are the lights configured the same way via adaptation channels on controller 09?

I think this may be a MQB platform only mod, so should work with Golf VII etc, as long as the bulb is there :-)

Yes, was thinking the FA, Superb etc.

Might be worth getting someone to try, as if it works, you'll have a lot of happy folk!

I have just collected a new Mk 3 estate and am due to be in  Germany next month and will be after the car being BFG compliant.

Apart from lights and fogs are there any other changes? Winter tyres I gather? I have the 18Inch wheels fitted.

Can any one help out on the lights swap? the car has not got the xenons! 

Thanks

I have just collected a new Mk 3 estate and am due to be in  Germany next month and will be after the car being BFG compliant.

Apart from lights and fogs are there any other changes? Winter tyres I gather? I have the 18Inch wheels fitted.

Can any one help out on the lights swap? the car has not got the xenons! 

Thanks

You have 45 days after arriving to get everything sorted. If you need to get the lights you should be able to purchase tax free when you arrive. Most of the guys in the bfg test centre or someone in a REME LAD or Battalion should be able to sort out fitment or if buying lights from the dealer fitment charges may be reduced. Other than the lights the only other things to consider are insurance and first aid kit, warning triangle, spare bulbs, hi-vis vests and breatherliser kit - if driving through France (safety kit and bulbs are very cheap in uk dealer - cheaper than halfords). Insurance needs to be one of the German providers (insurance brokers on most camps) or TFIS in uk. Expect to pay approx 50% more than uk cover for insurance but very much dependant on your personal circumstances.

...and European breakdown cover. My Octy came with 3 years euro Skoda assist but not to sure if UK supplied come with too. ADAC (equivalent to AA) cover costs approx 90 euros per year versus 250 pounds from UK breakdown agencies for similar cover.

Many thanks, it's ten years since last there and it is coming back now you mention the issues.

Will look into the first aid and triangle, guess VAG save again on these as standard fit!

• 1 year later...

Don't suppose anyone can help me out with this. Either the colours for the left and right foglight cables so i can manual it, or some help in helping me tell the guy at Skoda how to fix it.

Just been to Skoda in Bad Driburg and he had a go with his vcds laptop to no avail.

This is a huge pain and the lighting cables arent straight forward so I can tap it out from the bulbs to the connector. I'm guessing the light cluster has a microcomputer controller in it!