Engine Dilema

Yetski

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been posted already, I've just joined the forum.

Musts - Would like a 4x4 and 0-60 under 10secs

Car will be used within a 3 mile radius of home during the week, shopping nursery etc and maybe one 40mile trip per month.

Test drove the 140 4x4 se+ and really liked but Ive just found out about the DPF and the problems that go with....

On the other hand, really like the 4x4 and the mpg but I don't want to have to deliberately drive to consume more diesel just to burn off excess soot.

I see they do a 4x4 Tsi but then you lose on the mpg - 35 I think....?

Which one should I go for? Am I asking for trouble with the diesel based on the low mileage per week/year?

Any Advice much appreciated!

J

With such short daily runs a Diesel yeti will never get anywhere near hot.

You wont see good fuel consumption or any cabin heat in winter.(Probably lots of DPF regenerations too.)

The current Yeti engine list is very limited because of the run up to the Facelift at the end of the year.

Do you really need 4x4?

Currently I'm waiting for the new Facelift 1.4 TSI ,which I think will hit the spot for me.

I've previously owned a 170 TDI elegance,and currently a Greenline elegance,neither have quite been right for me. :wonder:

I'm afraid that at that mileage you need petrol.  You won't get decent mpg out of a diesel because it just won't warm up.

With such short journeys you'll never get a diesel engine warm enough to either benefit from the potentially high mpg or to properly look after the engine.

Skoda specifically recommend against diesel engines for this sort of driving, since you will inevitably end up ruining the dpf.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/15364_DPF_Leaflet_v2.pdf

I was under the impression that changes to the MOT rules coming soon will make dpf deletion a fail?  Even if it's not an automatic fail, I would think the tightening of tailpipe emissions would make it difficult for a diesel to pass without a dpf.

At 5k miles a year, does mpg really matter much?  You'll only use a couple of tanks more of unleaded than diesel, which will be at least partly offset by the 5p a litre difference in price.

Won't removing the dpf raise issues with the M.O.T aside from being illegal?

I'm not convinced it is illegal to remove a DPF.

The car will need to pass an emissions test for the MOTbut it probably won't need the DPF for that, especially if the vehicle is warmed up before the test.

Would like a 4x4 - live on a hill and its like a 2wd graveyard in the winter

Winter tyres on a 2WD are just as effective (possibly even better than a 4WD with summer tyres). I live in north of Scotland...

• Like 3

Given your requirements I would be looking at a used 1.8 petrol if you can find one. Quick, smooth and a 4x4. OK a tad thirsty compared to the figures touted for the oil burners but diesels are at the most economical when hot (diesels take a lot longer to warm up) and can be worse than the petrol engines when cold. So given the shorter miles the 1.8 seems to fit the bill.

• Like 2

With such short journeys you'll never get a diesel engine warm enough to either benefit from the potentially high mpg or to properly look after the engine.

Skoda specifically recommend against diesel engines for this sort of driving, since you will inevitably end up ruining the dpf.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/15364_DPF_Leaflet_v2.pdf

I was under the impression that changes to the MOT rules coming soon will make dpf deletion a fail?  Even if it's not an automatic fail, I would think the tightening of tailpipe emissions would make it difficult for a diesel to pass without a dpf.

At 5k miles a year, does mpg really matter much?  You'll only use a couple of tanks more of unleaded than diesel, which will be at least partly offset by the 5p a litre difference in price.

Ngee is 100% right. I've just traded an excellent 140 Elegance for a 1.8tsi and my mpg has dropped by nearly 10mpg (maxidot figures not measured but comparing like with like)  My journeys are predominantly short and so a diesel was my wrong choice the petrol 1.8 is a fine device. If you drive more sympathetically than I do you would probably find you use 15% more fuel at 5p a litre cheaper. 5000 miles is 200 gallons of fuel if you use the 1.8 to its full performance and the diesel would use around 140.

The Petrol costs less for equivalent spec so it would take several years for a diesel to save you money.