Engine Dilema

Yetski

Your original post starts "Musts - Would like a 4x4 and 0-60 under 10secs. Car will be used within a 3 mile radius of home during the week, shopping nursery etc and maybe one 40mile trip per month". Your "musts" seem inconsistent with your needs for the car. A number of owners on various posts have been very positive about the 2WD Yeti with winter tyres, the advice you are being given is that diesel is unlikely to be your best option and that you are unlikely to get the sort of mpg you are hoping for and of course there is the overall cost of ownership where very low mileages means other factors such as initial cost, depreciation and insurance are probably far more significant than fuel consumption and you will of course pay more for 4x4 and bigger engines. You mention "nursery" so perhaps ease of getting a child/children in and out at least as big a consideration than 0-60 in under 10 seconds for a 3 mile trip? "Shopping suggests a need for a decent boot capacity. That you ask whether the Yeti is front wheel drive suggests you are very early in your search.

My advice would be find a dealer with a 1.2 Tsi petrol engine and ask for a test drive doing the sort of journey you will mainly use the car for. You may be pleasantly surprised at just how quick and responsive it feels, and sure what the drive feels like is more important than the figures laid out in a brochure? I've moved from a 2.0 litre diesel to the 1.2 Elegance and haven't regretted it for a minute and my use is very similar to yours - daily trips of 5 miles each way, occasional longer runs and I'm getting just short of 40mpg measured brim-to-brim - I've only done 1500 miles so things are still settling in so mpg may improve a little over time).

If having had a test drive you think a Yeti will suit your needs but feel the 1.2 doesn't have enough power/acceleration at least you will have a better idea of whether to look around for a 1.4 or 1.8 and accept it's not going to be economical on fuel (but again, with low mileage it may not be important).

When I was looking to change initially i was put off by the Yeti's distinctive looks but fortunately I got past tha, bought one and now know it is a really great little vehicle, even in 2WD. 1.2 petrol form.

• Like 2

Your mileage is totally unsuited to running a diesel.

DPF removal is a grey area at the moment, but VOSA would like to make it illegal.

4x4 is NOT the cure for snowy conditions, in fact it can be worse, especially for inexperienced drivers. Much better is front wheel drive and winter tyres. Remember that gravity always wins!!

And why the sub 10 second figure when you live in traffic clogged Surrey?

• Like 2

I we have just changed from a octy 1.6 diesel to a yeti 1.2 tsi dsg what a great motor this is wil go all day at 80 on motor way and good round town,,have now done 1500 miles with brim to brim does 40 mpg that includes a lio of town driving,I would suggest you should take a test drive in one,good luck

I must be getting paranoid! Another one for the ignore list?

Fred

No - I don't think so, Fred! I think we engage, assist, advise, and then sit back and observe and enjoy the fruits of our collective support.

This could run and run... ...

• Like 1

Ok, 4x4  and 0-60 times aside, I like the sound of the 1.2 dsg - I keep reading how nippy it is up to 45mph...oddlly enough the standard 1.2 reports quicker 0-60 times by about half a second......

Only thing putting me off is lack of overtaking speed on Motorways ( around 70mph) How does the 1.4 handle overtaking speeds compared to the 1.2?

There is no 1.4 available at the moment unless you can find a used one.

The 1.2 (manual) had no problem overtaking at 70mph (in 6th gear) on motorways for me when I drove it home 475 miles last week. 

Apologies in advance for trying to teach anyone to suck eggs here but could I suggest taking a 1.2, 1.4 2WD and a 1.8 FWD petrol cars out for a test drive in the real world? A mixture of town country road and dual carriageway.

Try them, you may be quietly surprised at how good the 1.2 unit is in the real world compared to its more powerful siblings. The 1.4 gives more torque and the 1.8 gives more power than you will need most of the time but adds 4x4 it may be better for overtaking on country roads at the expense of economy, insurance costs and road tax. 

Remember that a 4x4 on winter tyres should be better than a FWD on winters (but maybe not as much as you think)  but both will be lots better than a 4x4 or FWD  on summers during the colder weather.

Please let us know how you get on with the tests.

Regardless of the power plant the Yeti is a cracking car however I may be just slightly biased  :blush:

Cheers hairball, taking the 1.2 and 1.4 out this sat - not sure about DSG option as not a fan of auto's and apparently it puts another 20kg of weight on but I guess that's splitting hairs :)

Having driven the 1.2 DSG and 1.4 manual almost back to back, I reckon (subjective view of course) that the 1.2 DSG feels faster than the 1.4 manual.  Why?  I wonder if it is because the turbo stays on boost through gear changes because they are so quick.  Has anyone else noticed this?

Would like a 4x4 - live on a hill and its like a 2wd graveyard in the winter

Reigate hill :lol:

You don't have much choice at the moment. 1.2tsi 2wd, 1.8tsi 4x4 for petrol, or the CR140/CR170. 4x4's

I personally would not go for diesel with the milesge you are doing. 4x4 will cost you about £4k extra last time I looked, whereas 4 steel wheels and winter tyres will cost around £200 or less a corner. The difference will pay for many thousands of miles motoring.

Check out all the winter tyre videos on YouTube. 99% or more of people would be better off with 2wd and winter tyres than a 4x4.

Having a Yeti 4x4 doesn't mean you will get up the steep hills in Surrey- the Police won't let you up many of them. They get closed in bad weather. Reigate always seems to get badly hit as it is at the bottom of the North Downs in a dip. The other problem is vehicles abandoned blocking hills around here.

But the official figures state that the 1.2 on paper is 200th's quicker than the 1.2 DSG and the 1.4 is a whole second quicker....

But the 1.4 doesn't appear to be available new at the moment, so it is academic. :lol:

200ths

But the official figures state that the 1.2 on paper is 200th's quicker than the 1.2 DSG and the 1.4 is a whole second quicker....

Sorry, but whoopie-do!

Performance figures are taken in perfect conditions on a rolling road. You, me and Joe Public cannot replicate it and, more importantly, wouldn't be able to tell the difference in real life.

• Like 1

200ths

Sorry, but whoopie-do!

Performance figures are taken in perfect conditions on a rolling road. You, me and Joe Public cannot replicate it and, more importantly, wouldn't be able to tell the difference in real life.

Got to agree with this and many tests I've seen comparing the same car with manual and dsg boxes prove time and time again that in the hands of  mortals the dsg wins out every time.

Oh well if you're driving on paper then that's a whole different story  :giggle:

• Like 2

That's all well and good, but most of us don't do 0-60 sprints. The problem is that the 0-60 (or 0-62 for 0-100kph equivalent) figure is the only relevant performance figure that's always available. So if you're looking for some indicator of likely performance from an engine then the 0-60 figure is all that there is to base a guess on. That is unless eg Autocar have done a detailed road test, in which case all of the individual in-gear acceleration figures will be available - but you've got to be very lucky to find a test for the particular model/engine combination you're interested in.

But it's presumably got to be a fairly good bet that the in-gear acceleration (which is what most of us would use for at least the vulnerable part of an overtake) is going to be noticeably better on the 1.4TSi. And that's without factoring in the slight extra uncertainty of a DSG overtake, unless you're adept enough to flick it into Sport mode as second nature.