Tell tail signs

With a diesel look for the dirty muck around the filler flap, sometimes diesel will make a dirty black mark if people dont really care when putting fuel in.

I believe externally they are the same, if you are close to a car, you could peek through the window and look at the rev counter, pretty sure the diesel one goes up in 500rpm increments, the petrol 1000rpm increments.

Does the Octy still have red callipers on a diesel and green on a petrol?? (Might be the other way round)

Nope the cars are completely identical the only tell tale being the rev counter graduations. As others have said the rev counter is scaled similarly to the petrol but goes up in 500rpm steps rather than 1k; unsure why.

The exhaust on a petrol is likely to be dirtier as they do burn a bit of oil, the diesel with the DPF prevents any build up. On the move a petrol would also likely smoke a tiny amount under hard acceleration where as a diesel wouldnt; also whilst the diesel is still quite refined the noise it makes when revved hard is unmistakably derv.

Easy....if you can keep up with it then its a diesel  :giggle:

......and if, during the course of following it in your petrol vRS you have to stop and refuel way before it does.......it's a diesel  :giggle:

Oh, and forgot the  :kiss:  for all you sensitive coal burning types ;)

You can walk the walk, but can you talk the torque?

I think not. ;)

Rev counter - redline for diesel 5k RPM, red line for petrol 7k RPM.

Petrol exhaust tips probably black, diesel exhaust tips probably shiny/clean.

TDI rev counter goes up in 500rpm incriments because there is more space to fill in the gauge than the TSI. :)

EDIT: Also, if the car goes up hill and you see it shift (either driver moving or slight lag in performance) then its a petrol, because the diesels are better at life. :P

Edited by Mysticality
  • Like 1

Its a proper performance vehicle rather than something that looks like it but has a tractor engine in it. 

A proper performance vehicle....really? A vRS, be it Petrol or Diesel, is still a family car with a big boot and room for the kids.....albeit slightly faster than standard models. 

In my book, a 'proper performance vehicle' has a minimum of 8 cylinders under the bonnet and is rear wheel drive.  

• Like 1

A proper performance vehicle....really? A vRS, be it Petrol or Diesel, is still a family car with a big boot and room for the kids.....albeit slightly faster than standard models. 

In my book, a 'proper performance vehicle' has a minimum of 8 cylinders under the bonnet and is rear wheel drive.

Hah! "The only Diesel that should be found in a performance car is Van Diesel!)

Oh, and forgot the :kiss: for all you sensitive coal burning types ;)

we're so sensitive we'll be there with the tissues and give you a shoulder to cry on when you get your trade in quote. LOL

• Like 1

It was tongue in cheek. Jesus, lighten up you miserable buggers!

• Like 1

Indeed its a silly argument.

For me the vRS offers more or less everything the MK6 Golf GTI/GTD does, but is alot more practical and vastly less expensive. I quite fancied a GTI but to buy a half decent used one was going to set me back new vRS money and it wasnt going to be big enough.

I ended up with a CR because I bought a Blackline and consequently had no choice, anyway was more interested in the 2k free equipment upgrade than the power source but each variant has its merits. The petrol is a cheap Golf GTI and gives more or less the same driving experience for significantly less and the diesel offers the same sort of ownership experience; a still reasonably quick car but cheap to run as well as own.

I guess it'll be relative to the 3k saving i made when i bought it vs the diesel model of the same age?

gettling slightly sensible what pipsyp says above is very true and the same reason I bought my blackline. What you say sort of sums it up really-secondhand the tsi is so much cheaper than the cr, which is great if your the buyer but a bummer if your the seller. Buying new the cr makes more sense IMO because its cheaper all round to run and the residuals are so much better which is I guess why last year it outsold the tsi by 2:1.