Some questions for Scout owners

If the car was made after September 2010, it's guaranteed to be a CR......that's when Euro 5 emission standards had to be complied with, and only CR cars are Euro 5 compliant.

Of course CR engines started to be fitted quite a bit earlier than this (Spring 2010?), so you'll probably find a slightly earlier car with a CR engine easily enough.      

• Like 1

My PD140 is classed as Euro 5 on the V5. Only the 1.9PD was dropped in september 2010.

What date was your car registered? I can't help wondering if it might be a DVLA c*ckup (not uncommon), as my recollection was that even VAG themselves never claimed any of the PD engines were Euro V compliant. The 2.0 PD140 engines had already gone out of production a few months before September 2010 in any case.

My PD140 is classed as Euro 5 on the V5. Only the 1.9PD was dropped in september 2010.

Actually the PD140 engines fitted to the scouts from June 2009 - May 2010 were actually Euro 5 compliant. They were very slightly detuned to achieve this (it's actually 138 bhp). Not sure why VAG did this before the deadline.....perhaps some parts of the world required it before the European deadline....and before the CR engine was ready.  

Never the less they dropped all PD engines from May 2010.  

Actually the PD140 engines fitted to the scouts from June 2009 - May 2010 were actually Euro 5 compliant. They were very slightly detuned to achieve this (it's actually 138 bhp). Not sure why VAG did this before the deadline.....perhaps some parts of the world required it before the European deadline....and before the CR engine was ready.  

Ah, I stand corrected. Having said that the April '10 UK brochure I have for the Octavia still listed the Scout 2.0 as a PD with 140 bhp and Euro 4...but then errors in the brochures aren't unheard of either.

OMG! (Sorry)

I've just found a FL 2010 one with Xenons & Maxidot (I think) & MFSW (for stereo & phone) with sat nav aerial (but with Bolero?) and rear parking sensors with less than 30k miles.

It doesn't say whether its a CR or PD but as its Euro 4, the above info leads me to believe its a PD140 with DPF.

CP10 WDM. Anyone on here know it?

And it's in my nearest city...

Test drive? Yes please.

Although I'm also testing a newer one at the local dealer on Wednesday.

Fingers crossed.

I was really surprised that Scouts were fitted with different 8v PD engines (BMM) than the 16v PDs fitted in the standard car (BKD). I'd love to know why - I've driven both and preferred the BMM - it actually felt more refined but that might be an effect of having less valves and a DPF.

What date was your car registered? I can't help wondering if it might be a DVLA c*ckup (not uncommon), as my recollection was that even VAG themselves never claimed any of the PD engines were Euro V compliant. The 2.0 PD140 engines had already gone out of production a few months before September 2010 in any case.

2008. I just looked it up on the government's road tax page and it says Euro IV there...

Great as it means theres no DPF delete issue, when it dies.

Edit: Just looked at the V5 and it doesn't list the emissions standard. No idea why I thought it was Euro V.

"No opinions on the 1.8 petrol Scout have been out forward suggesting that its not very popular (or is a secret success);"

I have had a 2011 FL 1.8TSi Scout for about one year now and they are fairly rare. The engine is really smooth, it returns about 33mpg just running round locally, but it is OK for a petrol car on a long run.

I have just returned from France in the scout, 4 people in the car, boot fully loaded, air con on all the time, and cruise set to 70mph, it returned 40mpg (41 on the computer), which I thought was pretty good for a petrol.

As long as you stay below 75mph they are fairly good on fuel, at 80 though they like a drink, barn door aerodynamics I guess?

• Like 1

I was really surprised that Scouts were fitted with different 8v PD engines (BMM) than the 16v PDs fitted in the standard car (BKD). I'd love to know why - I've driven both and preferred the BMM - it actually felt more refined but that might be an effect of having less valves and a DPF.

As far as I can find, the earlier A3 audi was the main other car using this engine.  So possibly using up overstock and possibly the 8v has better off-idle torque (fewer valves = more swirl and better air/fuel mixing in the cylinders down low at the expense of top end).  No-one quotes those figures so it's a bit hard to directly compare.

My fuel economy is around 42mpg all up.  I could get it to under 5.5 litres/100km if I drove like a nana.  But normal driving on trips is 6 litres/100km and normal running around is 6.5-7 litres/100km.

Sadly I haven't been able to try mine in snow yet.  This winter has disappointed in that regard.  The big snow storms have gone clean around my area.  I have haldex 2 (last of the pre-fl) and find it almost completely transparent.

One great benefit to the PD140 engine (BMM code) is it can be remapped through the OBD2 port.  No ECU surgery required.  I have an eco map which shuts down EGR, advances timing a little, raised the torque limiters but doesn't richen up the mix like a performance map would.

This is saving around 8% in fuel, but it does take longer to warm up with EGR shut-down.  Torque is improved, power not really changed.  I have corrected the speedo and the fuel consumption reading with VCDS.  I now have similar figures to when I bought the car, but they are now accurate.  The remap and calibrating the maxidot reading pretty much cancelled each other out.

*edit*  Mine is manual, expect DSG to chew more fuel.

Edited by Kiwibacon

One great benefit to the PD140 engine (BMM code) is it can be remapped through the OBD2 port.  No ECU surgery required.  I have an eco map which shuts down EGR, advances timing a little, raised the torque limiters but doesn't richen up the mix like a performance map would.

This is saving around 8% in fuel, but it does take longer to warm up with EGR shut-down.  Torque is improved, power not really changed.  I have corrected the speedo and the fuel consumption reading with VCDS.  I now have similar figures to when I bought the car, but they are now accurate.  The remap and calibrating the maxidot reading pretty much cancelled each other out.

I have the same setup as you and would be quite interested in an economy remap (when I pull the DPF out). Good to hear its a simple and effective process. And moar torques! :)

Edit: Except I get 42mpg real (calibrated on display too) before all that.

I have the same setup as you and would be quite interested in an economy remap (when I pull the DPF out). Good to hear its a simple and effective process. And moar torques! :)

Edit: Except I get 42mpg real (calibrated on display too) before all that.

I've still got the DPF.  VCDS shows it's in excellent health at ~90,000km so it might do 300,000km before any problems.  With EGR shut-down my engine will be producing less soot which will help that too.

Before the remap I couldn't really get it below 6 litres/100km on a flat road at 100km/h.  Now I can even see low 5's when everything is warmed up (oils up to temp etc).  Most of my driving is hilly and winding so that takes it's toll on fuel economy.  One 800km journey I have done several times shows 5.7 l/100km for the flatter half and 6.3 l/100km for the half with the mountain pass.  Total journey, bang on 6 l/100km.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone so far.

I've just had a short test drive in a 62 plate CR Scout thanks to Startin' Skoda, Powick and...

I'm pretty impressed with the ride comfort and cornering ability and quietness of the engine.

OK, we only hit 60ph around one corner and the roads were pretty good, but its enough to make me look closer.

I'm hoping to test a 10 plate PD low mileage Scout this weekend to see how that engine stands up against the CR.

I've also discovered that the shark fin aerial is fitted as it has factory fitted BT. Bonus!

Despite the dealer suggesting that I'd have a long wait (two years was suggested) to find a Scout with Xenons & Maxidot let alone any other factory fitted options I would like, I've found two locally!

The latest one (in Birmingham) has Xenons, Maxidot (I think), MFSW, BT, Columbus, electric part leather seats, etc. but the dealer isn't listing any if those features!

It's a '60 plate and CR engine I think. Low mileage and a nice colour (grey).

Seems most dealers aren't listing their vehicles properly to make the most of the 'extras' which makes it harder to find the right one.

No rush at this stage as I suspect there will be more CR 3 year old cars coming on the market in the next 6 months.

A towbar would be nice, but I'd be happy to retrofit that myself when I add front parking sensors (I know the towbar is at the back but I need to remove the boot trim to change the PDC mode, so may as well do both at the same time).

But of a rant coming - sorry!

Why can't the car sellers list cars properly?

I've been looking online and a Skoda dealer in the Midlands has one listed that says 'sat nav' but is fitted with a Bolero and they neglect to mention its a DSG / auto vehicle anywhere. And no mention of Maxidot or Xenons.

This makes it very hard to find the right ones to go and see...

Surely if they advertised them correctly then they could sell them for more or at least easier?

Rant over.

I'll keep looking.

I bought mine a year ago after nearly 2 years of looking as I wanted a 1.8tsi with Xenons and side airbags. (It was an ex Skoda press car and has appeared in a lot of the motoring press, including this little video clip http://www.nicarfind...a/Octavia/2327/ .)

It has a very nice spec:

* Xenons

* Curtain airbags

* Maxidot

* Silver roof rails

* Spare wheel

* Detachable tow hook

* 1.8 tsi engine

Positive:

* Engine is very quiet and refined and has a surprising amount of grunt with potential for more with a Shark remap. Averages around 31mpg. I have seen it as high as 37 and low as 25mpg. But it is not driven very gently on long runs and has a lot of very short journeys. But I don't have to worry about DPFs or a cam-belt chain. But is does drink a bit of oil!!

* Ride is great, soaks up pot holes without a murmur.

* It is a very easy car to drive.

* Great vision out of the car

* It grips! With winter tyres unstoppable. The Haldex 4 seems to be as good as my old A4 quattro.

* Very comfortable - no aches and pains after driving the car non stop for over 3.5 hours.

* It has masses amount of space - boot is huge and a great shape.

* Storage everywhere.

* I can sit behind the drivers seat when it is set for me (6'2") and my knees don't touch the seat in front.

* Toys for days. Maxidot is great. It has puddle lights. All interior and puddle lights are now LEDs.

* Everything feels light - steering, gear change, clutch.

* It looks great and has a real road presence. The neighbours came over to have a look and the general conclusion was it had a passing resemblance to the A6 Allroad and that it looks an expensive car.

* Xenons are great. Make quite a difference to night driving.

* Everything feels nice to the touch. Not quite as solid as my old A4 but not far off the newer A3 / A4 which are not, in my opinion, as solid as my old A4.

* Clip for parking tickets on the windscreen.

* Aircon works way better than my A4, which never worked as I expected.

The not so positive - but very minor:

* The dashboard had a passenger side squeak / rattle which took sometime to hunt down - but now fixed.

* It seems to have rattle or more of "loose" sound somewhere in the back

* There is a bit of road noise. But this could be down to the tyres needing to be replaced soon.

* The alloys were badly delaminated but have been reprinted in silver - not diamond cut this time. Can't really tell the different as the paint is a little metallic so when clean they look great.

Overall:

Highly recommended. It is the car that does just about everything. With the 1.8tsi it also has a little sporty side to its character and is great for a quick blast around the country lanes. A remap would make it very interesting!!

I hope some of the above helps.

James

James: thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts. Especially on the petrol engine.

I'm think I'm set on another diesel engine (preferably the CR) due to the low torque and fuel economy (I'm up around 14/15k miles p.a). But thanks for confirming the ride and the economy figures.

I'm also set on Xenons & Maxidot as essential, whilst privacy glass, Columbus, BT, spare wheel, towbar, MFSW, heated seats and folding mirrors are all on my 'desirable' list.

One thing I haven't checked out yet is the DSG option...

Sunset privacy glass was standard on the Scout. Elec. folding mirrors were only available with the electric driver's seat.

Hope you find what you're after. It'll be a cracker!

Sarge.

Thanks Sarge. Glad to hear privacy glass was standard: this just gets better and better.

I've seen one advertised in Birmingham with electric seats but I'm put off by suede/leather. I think its probably Alcantara, but I'd prefer full leather or the standard fabric seats TBH.

I guess that the standard fabric seats weren't an option with electric seats. Oh well. Not a deal clincher.

You could not get full leather as an option on the Scout. But you could get electric and heated seats in cloth. I would have liked leather as the cloth seems to stain quite easily - especially with kids!!

Good luck with the search.

Thank you 180quattro.

I've found it hard to discover what was 'standard' and what were 'options', but you guys are clearing things up for me.

Thank you 180quattro.

I've found it hard to discover what was 'standard' and what were 'options', but you guys are clearing things up for me.

Options are one of the things that bug me most about VAG cars, makes the used market very much like picking one out of a hat plus possible insurance quibbles. I'm looking at a Subaru Outback for my next car. You can choose between 3 models: The base car, which already has tons of kit standard (S), with leather seats (SE) and satnav (SE Nav Plus) and your engine choices are 'petrol or diesel' :)

• Like 1