Some questions for Scout owners

The base car, which already has tons of kit

There's the key issue. VAG seem to like to keep the starting price down and allow to customer to add lots of additional upgrades.

The confusing, but not direct, overlap of fitted equipment between S & SE Skoda vehicles doesn't help matters.

Still, if I find one that has the hard / expensive to retrofit things I'm looking for, then I can add the rest myself later.

Leather seats are not a deal breaker: I actually quite like the cloth interior.

Neither are heated seats, especially after seeing Eddie_NL's walkthrough on here.

Options are one of the things that bug me most about VAG cars, makes the used market very much like picking one out of a hat plus possible insurance quibbles. I'm looking at a Subaru Outback for my next car. You can choose between 3 models: The base car, which already has tons of kit standard (S), with leather seats (SE) and satnav (SE Nav Plus) and your engine choices are 'petrol or diesel' :)

I got a used Subaru outback as a courtesy car at the last service. Worst car I've driven since the new xv. It was just weirdly disconnected feeling, noisy, big outside and small inside. Even the seats felt wrong.

Edited by Kiwibacon

I got a used Subaru outback as a courtesy car at the last service. Worst car I've driven since the new xv. It was just weirdly disconnected feeling, noisy, big outside and small inside. Even the seats felt wrong.

Thanks for that. I haven't actually been to see one in person, its just on my last as its in the same group as the Scout.

Thanks for that. I haven't actually been to see one in person, its just on my last as its in the same group as the Scout.

The first thing that had me looking at the scout (way back in 2008) was it would do everything a subaru would do, but better.  The driving experience is not comparable, nor is the build quality, packaging or design.  I much prefer driving the scout to even the 200kw RSK-B4 subarus with someone else paying the fuel bill.

Anyone know what size the disc brakes are?

It seemed to stop better than mine and mine are 288mm at the front!

288 sounds about right.  Definitely smaller than the 312's on VRS, superb and the like.  But has no problem stopping at the limit of traction.

• Like 1

288 sounds about right. Definitely smaller than the 312's on VRS, superb and the like. But has no problem stopping at the limit of traction.

Thank you. Didn't think it would have 312mm discs, but it did seem to stop a but better than mine on 288mm.

I've just traded a Subaru legacy for the scout. I loved the drive of the Subaru, felt agile and had amazing handing because it has permanent 4x4 rather than the haldex. However it drank fuel, mine was petrol, but drove as good as new after 90 k miles when I sold it. Absolutey bullet proof. I think the scout suits me for the economy and it will be better in snow I'm sure, but when it comes to an engaging drive the Subaru won hands down for me. They are long because the engines are not transverse , also a good thing ( perfectly balanced left to right). It felt just as practical as a scout inside, if not a bit better because the boot floor was completely flat with the seats down.

Thanks for the opinions on the Subaru, but I'll be sticking with Skoda as I've been very happy with the Octavia and have learned a lot about it (most from this forum) which I want to be able to put to good use with my next car.

You will love the Scout! I was lucky enough to pick up a 2012 ex static demonstrator with lots of toys thrown at it (Columbus, Bendy Xenons, Maxidot etc) and with almost no mileage on it (< 1K). My previous car was a 105bhp 1.9PD 4 x 4 and the 140CR Scout really is a step forward on every level.

We also own a 140CR 2wd Octy estate with less toys. The fuel economy difference isn't huge, I'm getting just about 50mpg in the Scout and 56mpg in the 2wd version.

You mentioned outdoor stuff and kayaks in your original post; within 2 days of picking up my Scout it was loaded up with two sea kayaks and a ton of kit for a paddling trip, it's done the same with great regularity since :o) I had wondered whether the additional bit of ride height would affect the handling with a pair of 5 metre plus, 25kg composite missiles strapped to the top, but the car is just planted. It excels for outdoorsy type load lugging and practicality. Winter performance is massively capable - the only thing which stopped me getting places safely was when the depth of snow was heigher than the ground clearance.

If you've not used bendy Xenons before, they are a revelation. I live in a really rural location and they are simply superb - well worth the cost. The gearing of the CR is better (in my opinion) than on the 105 4 x 4, it's a bit shorter than the 2wd version but 1st isn't the very short ratio found on the 105PD.

Hold out for the best Scout you can find - there are quite a few still out there - and enjoy it!

Kind Regards

Ian

The Scout is one of the most versatile vehicles I have ever had. Having had cars, MPV's and 4x4's I can safely say that it combines the lot with very little loss of functionality over all.

It is incredibly capable on the rough stuff with only a small loss of ground clearance over many of todays 4x4's but is far more efficient to run, see my fuelly if you don't believe me http://www.fuelly.com/driver/anddenton/octavia-scout

Running out of ground clearance doesn't stop it in snow either, this is where I got in and out of a local car park in last winters snow and you can actually see where it has dragged the underneath of the car through the snow.

20130324_121828_zps879a8389.jpg

It also has a huge load lugging capacity. Mine regularly attends camp sites looking something like this:

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

which doesn't seem to have any effect on it whatsoever.

OK maybe a small effect to ride height in some situations:

20130527_112737_zps2218c20e.jpg

But its perfectly comfortable cruising up the M6 at 80 fully loaded.

I can't think of another jack of all trades car on the market at the moment that combines everything in such a reliable value for money package.

Having done 70k miles in mine over 3.5 years I would recommend it to anyone (Maybe not the dealers, but definitely the car).

Only thing to look out for is this:

IMG_0269.jpg

Easily dealt with but annoying non the less.

Happy hunting.

Thank you both.

Having seen mine (on Eibach's) fully loaded with full camping kit & 4 bikes sitting right down (probably on the bump stops!) it's definitely time to do something about it.

50 mpg would be perfect and I think I'm going to hold out for a CR (which will mean having to wait until January at the earliest).

I know I'm asking a biased audience, but have any of you tried a Volvo XC70 (the estate one not the SUV)?

Only asking as I'm sat next to one in a car park and never really considered them before.

Or an XC60 which I've never seen before (but does look nice).

I discounted it because its hideously expensive, ferociously thirsty and weighs about 2 tons. Plus every Volvo I've ever been in has been cramped for me.

I thought you won't allow talk of Scout competitors in this thread? ;)

OK maybe a small effect to ride height in some situations:

20130527_112737_zps2218c20e.jpg

I have a 2007 4x4 2.0 PD with kots of toys (so not far off scout spec) and have just fitted grayston spring assistors at the back to help with that sort of compression when fully loaded and the last week or so travelling over to Belfast fully loaded with 4 bikes on the back they have made noticeable difference to both the ride height and handling. For the 20 odd quid they cost I would recommend them if you travel loaded.

Also to add to others here it is one of the most capable cars I have driven regardless of weather over the last 6 years we,ve had it. we had a dpf problem 18 months ago but that was soon sorted by shark...

That's about where mine is at the moment. On the bump stops!

Heavy tent, four bikes, camping kit, etc. and four bodies. Oh! And Eibach's springs...

Not pretty. Hence the search for a Scout.

I've seen the spring assisters, but think a trailer would be preferable. Tent and kit inside and bikes on top of the trailer.

Quite a bit this week...

post-59543-0-31103300-1376088458_thumb.jpg

Almost grounded it today joining a flat road from a steep incline. Was scraping the under tray, exhaust shield and sills... Had to reverse and approach at a rather obscure / acute angle.

Quite a bit this week...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Almost grounded it today joining a flat road from a steep incline. Was scraping the under tray, exhaust shield and sills... Had to reverse and approach at a rather obscure / acute angle.

OK, so pretty loaded but your bikes and their position they are in relative to the rear axle will not help; a little weight but a long distance from a fulcrum will create a considerable moment and compress your rear suspension much more than if they were, for example, on the roof (however sure you know this already and it's not like there's any room on the roof - maybe you need a truck!) :)

Considering a small trailer with roof bars on top for bikes rather than boot mounted or towbar mounted carriers for exactly those reasons.

I'm keeping an eye on what's available at the moment and I've seen quite a few with rear PDC, a handful with none and only one with front and rear.

I'm familiar with the potential rewiring and change of module issues having fitted front & rear PDC/OPS to my car, but does anyone know what part numbers the collars are for the front sensors?

Also, what colour are they as they are part of the black plastic bumper trim? (Are the sensors also plastic coated or painted black?)

Are there any issues specific to the Scout when it comes to adding front sensors?

Thanks.

Only just spotted this thread, interesting to see other people getting similar fuel consumption to my 2.0PD, I'm getting just under 44mpg.

Just to add a little bit more info, AFAIK the pre FL cars (Scout and 4x4) are Haldex 2 whilst the FL is Haldex 4.