Knob worn out after just one year...

Got my 170 Manual Combi a year ago brand new, have done 15k miles in it. I'm incredibly careful with the car, also do mainly motorway miles so not too many gear changes.

The plastic "chrome" on the gear knob started flaking away a few months ago and today I noticed that the leather top coat on the gear knob is worn away and looking really shabby. Very disappointed after only one year of light use. The quality of leather seems really poor.

Has anyone else had this issue? Hoping that I can get it sorted under warranty but it doesn't fill me with confidence. Leather on the steering wheel seems poor quality too - might need to give it some TLC with the Gliptone.

Same story here - my fault for marrying a much younger woman.

• Like 4

Got my 170 Manual Combi a year ago brand new, have done 15k miles in it. I'm incredibly careful with the car, also do mainly motorway miles so not too many gear changes.

The plastic "chrome" on the gear knob started flaking away a few months ago and today I noticed that the leather top coat on the gear knob is worn away and looking really shabby. Very disappointed after only one year of light use. The quality of leather seems really poor.

Has anyone else had this issue? Hoping that I can get it sorted under warranty but it doesn't fill me with confidence. Leather on the steering wheel seems poor quality too - might need to give it some TLC with the Gliptone.

88,500 miles and no sign of wear at all on my knob, maybe you have rough hands.

Same story here - my fault for marrying a much younger woman.

There are electronic alterative available for your lovely young bride, or I am sure there are " members " who would  be glad to help out with regard to your distressing problem.

• Like 1

Hoped to provoke a few well worded replies!

Next time I am at the dealer I will get them to take a look at my knob. Hopefully the warranty will cover a new one, and hopefully the new one will last a bit longer.

I do wear a wedding ring so maybe that has been scratching the leather?

I flay my my knob twice a day and it is still in perfect condition.  Have you tried some sort of lubricant?  Friction can do nasty things to your knob if not careful

• Like 1

I changed my knob to a nice aluminium one even though my original knob was standing up furious abuse from my left hand without any signs of wear. The aluminium knob is cold in the hand especially on a cold day.

Out of interest is it possible to change just the knob or does it come as one part with the gaitor attached?

Mate, the genie's out of the bottle - you are not going to get ANY serious responses on this topic. :giggle:

The reason may not be cheap leather,

Every person has their own brand of sweat and some simply gnaw away at leather like no tomorrow, it's down to acid and salt levels and I can take the sheen off a steering wheel in a matter of 20k simply by driving style and hand sweat.

The reason may not be cheap leather,

Every person has their own brand of sweat and some simply gnaw away at leather like no tomorrow, it's down to acid and salt levels and I can take the sheen off a steering wheel in a matter of 20k simply by driving style and hand sweat.

OK, you might get ONE serious response...

My mk1 Octavia diesel 51 plates gear stick was wrecked by 2005 and 222,000 miles it need duct taped up to hold it together. The next 2 octys gear sticks were lightly worn but no where as near as the 51 plates

88,500 miles and no sign of wear at all on my knob, maybe you have rough hands.

That's it then isn't it, should be a warning in the manual to state users refusing to or not using Fairy washing up liquid may reduce the life of leather components in the car :sun:

• 2 weeks later...

Not replaced yet but I did treat the leather on the steering wheel, gear knob and handbrake with Gliptone yesterday and it looks and feels much better.

My plan is to get the gear knob replaced shortly before the warranty expires.