Looking at a remap for pd170 - what to expect.

Looking at getting this done in the near future, plans are egr delete kit (darkside), removeall pipework inc the cooler.

No other mods other than the above.

cars on 108,000miles

aiming for a bit more poke, 180bhp ish and a healthy torque curve.

what could I expect it to achieve?

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

200 should be the realistic average.  A decent map might push for a real 210.  Trouble is you are playing the dyno lottery ultimately and there as so many variables.  Someone who knows what they are doing can LOOK like they are strapping a car down well, but in fact are setting it up to lift off the back rollers a bit, faking a bit of extra power. ;)

I always say try to go to as many places as possible, especially at dynos not operated by the company that did the mapping.  :thumbup:  Law of averages will dictate a realistic BHP in the end. :)

From experience, I'd say that the PD170 engine doesn't feel particularly refined after a remap. I had my pre-fl vRS remapped about 4 or 5 years ago by Celtic Tuning and the results, whilst initially being a real hoot, soon became a cause for concern.

Firstly, it was very hard to drive the car smoothly. The accelerator pedal became like an on/off switch. Secondly, fuel consumption went through the roof. I lost more that a hundred miles to a tank. And most concerning of all, the engine kept going into dpf regeneration mode, with regular warnings of a blocked dpf. After a couple of weeks of problems, combined with numerous attempts to refine the map, I decided to go back to standard.

Celtic were fine with this and refunded me in full, but then a few weeks later the car suffered a exhaust pressure sensor failure. Whilst in the garage, it was also noted that the DPF was blocked and they managed to flush it, then run the DPF regeneration cycle to clear it.

Having discussed my experience with other guys that I know who perform remaps (Superchips, Motech & Oscarli), I'm not alone in my experience. No one that I have spoken to has a positive word to say about remapping the PD170 engine.

You might say "well, I'll remove the DPF too". This in itself can lead to problems with exhaust manifold temperatures (apparently).

Also, with the peaky extra torque that the remapped engine delivers you'll struggle for grip when setting off on a damp road. I found this particularly hazardous when leaving a busy junction as the car struggled for grip on the wet road, forcing traction control to kick in, meaning that I was left floundering in the middle of the road with fast moving traffic closing in on me.

My advice, from experience is don't have the PD170 remapped. It's just not a great engine to fiddle with successfully. Sure, remapping it is easy as the ECU isn't locked, but just because something is "easy" to do, it doesn't mean that it should be done.

Had you been enquiring about the newer CR TDI, I would have said "go for it" and pointed you in the direction of a remap company as my experience of the remapped CR170 is entirely positive, with none of the Ill effects experienced on the PD.

Hope this helps.

Damian

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't happy with a remap I tried compared to the Tunit box I had been running previously so the remap was removed and I refitted it.

I'm going to stick it in the For Sale section along with another one I used on another PD engine. No DPF problems with either of them and definitely worth a try.

I'll now duck waiting for Ben's condemnation (although it wasn't a Shark map that I tried on my PD170)...

I had it, with one of those "industrial" remap: you but the box, read your file and send to the provider who returns a modded one. You load it and done.

Well, power was not a huge leap, but for both smoothness and economy it really was!

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

I gave had my dpf taken out & a mapwith Ben @ shark, my car made 212bhp with 470nm of tourqe and I'm really happy with it, no problems at all, like Ben said if it's done proper it's a good investment because not only is the car a hell of a lot faster it's a lot better on fuel, now I'm going to up rate my clutch and add a fmi, then I'm going to book it in again with Ben for a tweek, I would 100% say go for it mate it's money well spent

• 2 weeks later...

There is no problem remaping pd170 engines like "damianscott71" said...probably what happened with him was that he had a bad experience with the guys that remaped his car. Here in Portugal (i guess we are the top country with Diesel power up's LOL) there are many remaping garages, some highly recomended! But even those, sometime, make mistakes...

I had my pd170 remaped! now it has 208bhp and 440nm. Remap only!! My Octy is on the carshop removing the DPF and to make a full 63mm exhaust inox line straight! EGR will be deleted and the hot air pipe to air induction is closed.

After get this job done, I will upgrad the remap to this mods. Hope to get between 215bhp and 220bhp, without ECU errors, low fuel consuption and torquy has hell LOL

I was only speaking from experience of having the PD remapped. Yes, it was easy to have done as the ECU isn't locked and the results were astonishing. However I found the power delivery to be far too savage to be driven sensibly and the fuel economy to be awful too. Even after numerous refinements of the map, it was still not a pleasurable driving experience and caused constant dpf regeneration. However, this was back in 2008 and I expect that respectable remapping companies have been able to resolve matters. My broader opinion regarding remapping the PD170 engine comes from a conversation that I had with the guys who remapped my CR170 vRS & CR170 4x4 Yeti, who agreed that the end result of a PD remap wasn't particularly refined and was prone to DPF problems and problems with the exhaust pressure sensor due to high manifold temperatures.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I was only speaking from experience of having the PD remapped. Yes, it was easy to have done as the ECU isn't locked and the results were astonishing. However I found the power delivery to be far too savage to be driven sensibly and the fuel economy to be awful too. Even after numerous refinements of the map, it was still not a pleasurable driving experience and caused constant dpf regeneration. However, this was back in 2008 and I expect that respectable remapping companies have been able to resolve matters. My broader opinion regarding remapping the PD170 engine comes from a conversation that I had with the guys who remapped my CR170 vRS & CR170 4x4 Yeti, who agreed that the end result of a PD remap wasn't particularly refined and was prone to DPF problems and problems with the exhaust pressure sensor due to high manifold temperatures.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

yes, it's a remap tune issue...Here in Portugal people get used to remap and modify Diesel cars than Petrol cars! Here there are many good companies that can make good remaps on diesel car without any problems. We have Diesels cars like Seat Ibiza, for example that makes the quarter mille near 8s...just youtube it :)

A remaped car with the DPF it's like you said, it goes on regeneretion more faster and the DPF see it's life getting reduced...but if you get a remap, you should reconsider remove the DPF.

The PD was my 4th remapped diesel, after a Passat 1.9tdi 110, which ended up with close to 200 Bhp with a bigger turbo and bigger injectors and a custom rolling road remap by superchips. That was back in 2002. The 2nd was the mk5 Golf 2.0 pd TDI that went from 140 to 180bhp, again courtesy of Superchips. next in 2006 I had the Honda Civic 2.2CDTI and took it from 148 (I think) to 220bhp with the help of Celtic Tuning. 4th was the vRS PD that, like I've said, didn't seem to react well to being remapped. Next the Octavia vRS CR 170, remapped by Motech using an Oscarli map which was absolutely perfect, very smooth and powerful. Next (number 6 I believe) was my previous car, the Yeti 170 CR 4x4 Elegance, which being 4x4 was an ideal candidate for a remap and was very fast under all conditions. I now have the next CR vRS estate..... We'll see what happens next!

My point is, we do know a little bit in the UK about remapped diesel cars too!

(I did have a couple of remapped petrol cars prior too, prior to becoming a diesel convert!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone had experiences with the later locked ECU's?  Looking at a remap and know most of the established tuners can unlock them, but concerned about what happens if the dealer reflashes the ECU again at service.

Most reputable tuners will reinstate the map for you FOC if it is overwritten by a dealer update. We do and I expect so do most of our peers.

This is good to know :)

Is there an easy way to check if the Dealer has reset it after a service (apart from a loss power?)

yes, it's a remap tune issue...Here in Portugal people get used to remap and modify Diesel cars than Petrol cars! Here there are many good companies that can make good remaps on diesel car without any problems. We have Diesels cars like Seat Ibiza, for example that makes the quarter mille near 8s...just youtube it :)

A remaped car with the DPF it's like you said, it goes on regeneretion more faster and the DPF see it's life getting reduced...but if you get a remap, you should reconsider remove the DPF.

Sorry to go off topic with this but, do you have a link to this "near 8s" ibiza?