L&K Parking sensors

Morning. Bought my first Octavia yesterday - L&K 54 plate. Lovely car, but I've got a parking sensor niggle that I've not seen an answer to on the forum. 

The sensors seem to be active and sensing all the time, not just in reverse. It's not that they're on all the time because of the damp, but in traffic queues, if someone draws up behind me, the sensors start to beep. Pretty annoying, frankly. 

Any help would be great.

M

My 2012 L&K has the same "problem" but its only very occasionally that they're activated in a traffic queue. Generally, considerate drivers will leave a 3ft gap between cars and that doesnt trouble the sensors. Agree the noise can be pretty insidious and mind numbing but frankly it has only happened to me twice that I can remember in the last six months that it goes on and on. However Newcastle is not particularly traffic infected - at least when I travel.

That said the sensors are very touchy and even getting close to a low kerb behind can activitate them - perhaps thats not a bad thing anyway.

I think you may be under the misapprehension as well that they should only be activated when you've selected reverse. Not so - they are there to show the approach of an obstacle at the back of the car. I selected front sensors as an option on buying new and they do exactly the same job with the caveat that I have an off switch for them, whereas the rear sensors can't be switched off (without internal programming).

Hope you'll see the plus side and not be too disappointed with the arrangement of the feature on your new car.

That is true for me too on a pre fl, which I note the OP has being 54 plate. I can also turn them on manually below 15kph using a switch as I have front sensors but I must be in reverse for them to come on otherwise.

To the OP, does your rear wash jet work? If not they are known for popping the pipe in the boot trim, right next to the PDC module. I am hence suggesting possible water ingress to the module causing strange behaviour from trying the rear wash jet in the past. Its just a thought, and worth ruling out if nothing else.

Adam

Pressing the button or selecting reverse activates all sensors.

Pressing the button again deactivates all sensors.

Driving over c.15kmph also deactivates all sensors.

Otherwise the sensors should not be active.

I've never had any problems with cars stopping 1ft off my back bumper in traffic queues or with pulling up to fences forwards setting off the sensors.

If this is happening them I'd suggest you both have something up with your sensors.

I think you may be under the misapprehension as well that they should only be activated when you've selected reverse. 

My (2010 L&K) rear sensors definitely only work when in reverse. If I roll backwards without reverse selected then they don't activate. If I have my tow bar mounted bike carrier on then they don't activate until I select reverse at which point they go nuts. If the sensors are going off at other times I would suggest there is a fault with the wiring/switch.

If I have my tow bar mounted bike carrier on then they don't activate until I select reverse at which point they go nuts.

Plugging a light board (I'm presuming you have one on your bike rack?) should deactivate the rear sensors for exactly that reason if it is a proper VAG towbar electrics that have been fitted (and done vehicle specific electric kits also).

Well there's a thing - we disagree so there must be a reason and I think I know why.

I have a shortish garage and always use my front parking sensors at night. When I drive out in the morning I am sometimes too lazy to swith them off so the underlying sensor setting is on.

When I come into traffic the sensors are activated front and rear whether in reverse, neutral, drive or sport. I've just done a test to prove this.

So getting back to the original post - perhaps the underlying switch is on for the new car. All thats needed is to unwitch the overall sensors. Hope this is so as I don't think I've got a fault.

Pressing the button or selecting reverse activates all sensors.

I've often wondered about the front ones: surely they wouldn't be needed when going backwards?

(Not got them....yet. Thinking about  doing the fronts when I upgrade to OPS/RVS)

I've often wondered about the front ones: surely they wouldn't be needed when going backwards?

(Not got them....yet. Thinking about  doing the fronts when I upgrade to OPS/RVS)

They come on I believe for the fact that the front of the car can swing round hence it warns you if you come close to something.

On my 2011 vRS selecting reverse will enable front and rear, if going purely forward into a space you need to press the button to switch them on.

I know because I reverse into my drive and my Mrs gets out and walks past the front before I reverse into the garage and that will trigger a front detection.

Paul

As I said above, front and rear are activated simultaneously.

They shod not be active in the morning, after restarting the engine, etc.

Pressing the button or engaging reverse activates both sets of sensors.

I regularly park facing a tree (front bumper a few inches from the leaves). When I arrive, no beeping unless I press the button (I'm travelling forwards).

When I leave I start the engine - no beeping - until I engage reverse then the OPS kicks in warning me of the trees at the front (and any students who happen to be wandering along behind my car).

As the car detects reverse movement it prioritises any warnings from the rear of the vehicle and will stop the front beeps & activate the rears.

Every VAG car I've been in with front & rear sensors has worked in the same way.

Think about parallel parking.

You go to reverse into a space. If activating reverse gear activates only the back sensors then when you go to move forward to straighten the car up you'd have to remember to press the button to start the fronts.

Makes it kind of pointless!

The car knows which direction you are going and prioritises the sensor / buzzer warnings in that direction.

Wow, what a debate I've sparked!

So, to clarify, my model only has rear sensors and according to the manual they should only be operational in reverse.

I don't have rear light washers (did have to go and check), so that's not going to be the cause.

I suspect it's a switching issue, so may be a pain to sort out. It's not a major inconvenience, but definitely not normal operation. Guess I'll ask the garage to take a look at its next service.

Cheers for all the suggestions.

So, to clarify, my model only has rear sensors and according to the manual they should only be operational in reverse.

Putting it in reverse will activate the rear sensors (that's the only method if you only have rear sensors) and either driving over 15kmph or turning the engine off deactivates them.

• 2 weeks later...

It's the rear screen washer that often leaks causing wet electrics & carpet in the boot.

Doh! Next time I'll read and think before replying ;-) Well, there's no damp in the boot ...

Does your reversing light work OK ?

Just checked, and no it doesn't :-/ 

So, there's an issue with the reversing electrics in general. Do we still think damp or is it something more involved?

Edited by mew001

Possibly the switch that detects reverse gear is engaged is faulty (or the wiring to it).

Get your car scanned with VCDS and see what that shows.

Possibly the switch that detects reverse gear is engaged is faulty (or the wiring to it).

^ this.

Reversing sensors being active when not in reverse and no reversing lights is your best clue to the issue.

Had a similar problem with my reverse sensors and also no reverse light, quick look at the reverse switch near the air filter and it turned that one of the wires had snapped, resoldered the 2 broken wires and everything is now fine.

• Like 3

Had a similar problem with my reverse sensors and also no reverse light, quick look at the reverse switch near the air filter and it turned that one of the wires had snapped, resoldered the 2 broken wires and everything is now fine.

Snap for me actually

Now, that sounds like something I could fix myself :) But I don't have a Haines manual to show me the schematics yet, just the owner's manual that came as standard with the car. Where abouts should I be looking?