Will my 14" Toyota Aygo wheels/winter tyres combo fit the Citigo?

JimmyR

OK, I know that August 1st was the hottest UK day for 7 years but I do love the snow so like to plan well ahead!!

Apart from some smartie pants telling me to pull off a wheel, will my set of 14" Toyota Aygo wheels/winter tyres fit the Citigo?  Yes, I use the Goodyear UtraGrip 7+ tyres on the front and the Vredestein Snowtrac 3's on the rear.  The combination of new, skinny winter tyres, little power and no electronic traction control made the Aygo truly amazing in the snow.  The only thing stopping it was a lack of ground clearance and the 15mm lowered Elegance Greentech will suffer from exactly the same problem.  I'm hoping that the Citigo won't ruin things by having its clever computer systems tell the wheels to do strange things in the snow.  What I did hate was the ABS system on the slippery surfaces because I couldn't tell if the front wheels were actually locked or not!  Sometimes these 'aids' are just a little too cunning and counter productive on snow and ice.  I do realise the the 155/65 x14" is slightly too small but narrower equals better in the snow and in any case, I won't be driving flat out (not exceeding 70mph of course) up the M23 on them.

If anybody actually knows the answer to my question, I'd be delighted to hear.  I do know that the wheel stud holes are the correct distance apart so it's more down to offset and brake caliper clearance etc.

A word of warning, do not ever under any circumstances think that it might be possible to save money and just have winter tyres fitted on the front only.  Believe me, I tried it in December 2010!!  The winter tyres were so brilliant and the Continental EcoContact 3 summer tyres were so dreadful that it was a truly lethal combination.  It was as if a ghost passenger was pulling the handbrake on which is fine but not when cars are coming in the opposite direction.  Even when driving along a cambered road at a relatively slow speed, the rear was just sliding towards the nearside kerb, necessitating opposite lock with hidden built-out kerbs ready to take the back wheel off.  Luckily the rear winter tyres arrived swiftly (before the next snow) and with balance restored, the transformation was absolutely amazing.

9424798748_60be1aae81_b.jpg

9424799864_ed641e3d7f_b.jpg

9424804356_2a4b6e177d_b.jpg

Edited by JimmyR

You are going to have to fit and see. I have tried some other wheels and found clearance problems with the caliper and the rim touching the track rod on full lock.

well surely all you will need to do is find one of those tire size calculators online.

if the rolling radius the same on both types or within 10% then wont be much chance of it fowling on the suspension etc over hard bumps and surely a thinner wheel wont collide on anything anyway.

IIRC a 175/65 R14 tyre will have a Radius of just below 235mm. whereas a 155/65 R14 will have a Radius of just over 228mm.

So in that respect theres almost a 3% difference. Which i think is acceptable regarding the speedo correction etc.

Try here:

http://www.wheel-fitment.com

Type in your aygo and check all the dimensions against the citigo.

Regards

According to that they will not fit, center bore is too small and the offset is a bit higher so the wheel will sit further in, could cause caliper clearance problems (easy to fix with spacers). The center bore is the main problem.

Edited by Stonesie

Thank you all for your valuable input and advice.  It certainly looks like I've been sunk by the 3mm centre bore difference so it's obviously not even worth trying a wheel on. 

At least I have a few months left till the snows arrive, to sort something out.  Continental Tyres have informed me that the Continental ContiWinterContact TS 850 (winnner of the Jan 2013 Auto Express Best Winter Tyre) will be available in 175/65 x 14" size very soon.

Thank you and with full acknowledgement to Wheel-Fitment.com for providing the excellent data below.

9454874964_4e9208bc22_o.png  9452094529_2e86028173_o.png