Corrida Red or Race Blue?

wingco

Hi to All here,

I've whittled it down to these two colours for my new Octavia.  Please can someone tell me what sort of match I can expect from the Corrida red touch up pen brush.  I'm tempted to stick to a solid colour but all reds seem to suffer more than other colours from sun fade. 

Maybe modern paints and regular waxing is the answer but what about the "old tech" cellulose based Corrida red touch up pen, will I end up with orange spots (not me....the car)?

As for Race blue I've really got "the hots" for it and it would be my first metallic on what will hopefully be my last car (getting a bit long in the tooth you see!....

Thanks for your advice.

Don't mess sbout with touch up, I got my corrida red front end stone chips resprayed after 5 years and it looks good. RB is nice but very common now. Tbh if you are getting a new VRS it would be good to see some more distinctive colours. The current ones are a bit old hat.

I have both these colours so you have very good taste :rofl: I also have both touch up sticks and the paint match is good on both. They are both nice but my findings are that unless the blue one is cleaned and waxed all the time its lustre is lost under the general dust dirt etc. However the Corrida Red does a real good job of looking clean even when its quite dirty. I wash both cars at the same time same process - Snow foam pre wash, then a proper shampoo, then a decent polish and finally a wax / sealer. The blue seams to be dull within two days and barely gets a second look even with the black wheels. Where as the Red one gets lots of nice comments about how it looks. I think the red will be the stand out colour in the New Mkiii as well all the other colours look very bland.

One thing to remember with Red Paint though is that it oxidises badly. Although with a bit of colour restorer about once a year mine comes up good as new. Its only ever cloudy white on the spoiler and easily buffed out and re-sealed. Not sure if you can still do this with the new water based paint though worth considering. 

Thanks for your replies gents,  needless to say, I'm still undecided.  I can only add that whatever I do decide upon I'll have £500's worth of Autoglym's "Lifeshine" applied before I pick it up.  This is the dealer's recommendation. 

At the time, (Sep '10) when I got my candy white Mk2 FL, I acted upon the same dealer's recommendation that I had it "Silver Sealed" before collection, which I did.  In the near 36 months since, the car still gleams like the day I got it.  All it's ever had in that time is not too regular Autoglym shampoos.  If the lifeshine performs as well as the silver seal has then I'll be happy.

Were I to keep my mk2 FL I would really like to give it a good waxing but alas it's physically beyond me.  It's lasting shine is down to silver seal and/or the shampoo.  As I write this I'm coming to realise that perhaps the Corrida red with it's tendency to oxidise more readily than other colours, might just be a bit too high maintenance for me.

I still like my candy white but the touch up pens are not a very good match so I'm thinking I might go for RB as it can't be any worse.  As I said, the next car I hope will be my last one and have avoided, but always admired the look of metallics.  In over 40 years as a steering wheel attendant, to end up with RB which I think is a beautiful colour is very much a decision of the heart and not the head.  I just hope I don't live to regret it.

Thanks again chaps for your input.

If I had £500 to spend on protecting the paintwork, I wouldn't give it to the dealer for Lifeshine! My wife's Hyundai had this applied when she brought it new in December and it no longer provides any protection whatsoever. From what I know, it's little more than a combination of Autoglym Super Resin Polish then topped off with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection which can be picked up in Halfords for less than £20. 

Given the chance, I'd take it to a professional detailer who would machine polish it to remove all marks on the paintwork (you'd be surprised how many there are on a new car) and protect the paintwork with something such as GTechnic EXO which should protect the car for 12-18 months easily. You'd end up with a car with perfect paintwork and a great product protecting your finish for ages. 

Thanks for your replies gents,  needless to say, I'm still undecided.  I can only add that whatever I do decide upon I'll have £500's worth of Autoglym's "Lifeshine" applied before I pick it up. 

Its up to you but I wouldn't bother. I had it applied to the Blue Backline as it was thrown in as part of the deal and I have since removed it with claybar and re-applied collinite Wax which gives a much better shine and better durability. If the life shine is two part protection it will require you to apply a conserver of sorts to it to prolong its longevity anyway. I would just wash it regularly polish it now and again and use a decent Wax or sealer. Will save you £500.

Has to be Yellow

The End

It will be 'the end' if he choses yellow. Only JCB's look good in yellow and its clear that they will be a bug attractant ;-)

^ cobblers. But you're right about the bugs....

Wingco - visit a certain site called detailing world and read what they have to say about Autoglym. I've had it on mine and haven't regretted it. Just needs a regular top up - around every quarter or so.

Well I've opened a can of worms here!...I've just found a whole new world of clay bars, C-Quartz ceramic coatings, Swissvax, ph neutral snow foam & all sorts of fings I've never heard of.  I obviously need to get out more. 

In view of your comments I'll give the Lifeshine a miss I think. As for the Silverseal my candy white still looks great as I say.  So is it the silver seal, is it the irregular Autoglym shampoo, or is it after all because I chose candy white twice in a row on my mk 1 & 2 for the very reason that white just doesn't show the imperfections that other colours show?

As for trying to decide on a different colour I now feel like the ball in a pinball machine going from pillar to post.  Perhaps I'll stick with what I know and choose candy white yet again.

I've found a couple of pro detailers in my area so when the time comes, with whatever colour I decide upon, I'll take it to one of them.

Thanks again to you all for pointing me in the right direction and advancing my education.

Corrida Red is clear coated just like all other colours on new cars.

If the spoiler is showing signs of UV degradation I'd suggest it's somehow missed being blown over with some lacquer in the production process.

I'd pass up the dealers offer of Lifeshine @ £500!

99% of dealership valeters get neither the time or training from AG to apply this properly - hence why it has a bad reputation on the www.

Having said that if applied properly it's actually a reasonable product - how do I know? I used to work at a main dealer & I trialled it on my bonnet next to some G-Techniq C1 & Zymol Vintage after a bet with a man from AG.

Here is a link to the writeup I did on DetailingWorld -

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=279652

Corrida Red is clear coated just like all other colours on new cars.

If the spoiler is showing signs of UV degradation I'd suggest it's somehow missed being blown over with some lacquer in the production process.

Nope Red paint is a bit of an oddity. I know they have changed the base coat since the days of the Pink Corsa's but its still a problem with modern Red's just to a much lesser degree. It only happens on the Spoiler maybe its a fibre gel coat or the formula is slightly different to stick to abs plastic. Haven't looked into the materials. However im on my third and red is the only colour I have had a problem with. The lacquer is the bit that goes hazy the cutting action buffs out the haze and restores the paints original colour. It didn't start happening until about 5 years old but she's getting on for 8 years+ now so I put it down to age of the paint work and exposure to the elements. Its got plenty of lacquer on though first thing I did before using AG colour restorer cutting compound is check the micron thickness with an elcometer. Also had it professionally resprayed recently after a small prang on the boot.