Bought some winter wheels and tyres... now to paint them! (pics)

Look to be a family run powder coaters.

What's wrong with Bradford?

It's a long way for me...other than that I hear it's a wonderful place.

You wouldn't expect me to say anything else on a public forum now freedom of speech in this country has been curtailed, would you?

I've got a set of those Leon alloys in my garage for track wheels

I can't advise on the tyre side really but I have now done 3 DIY refurbs so can help in that department

Have a throgouh read of

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/188435-pastyboy-diy-alloy-refurb-and-recolour-project-thread/

and potentially

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/235637-pastys-new-alloy-project-finished-fitted/?hl=%2Bmontreal

the same questions you asked were asked in both those threads and it should provide a useful guide if nothing else.

I did consider recolouring my Leon alloys but due to the small spoke gaps decided against it as it's be a load of work and pretty hard to get right given my poor spraying experience/technique

The other option might be plastidip or similar.

These guys  http://www.cardipuk.com/we-dip-your-car/ do a "pack" specifically for alloys (essentially a primer and 4 tins of spray) http://www.ekmpowershop28.com/ekmps/shops/cardipuk/neon-aerosol-packs-x-5-400ml-cans-241-p.asp

This way you can spray them, use them for the winter and not have tworry about how you shift a set of luminous green wheels, you just peel it off and sell them as silver....

If you feel like parting with the centre caps let me know ;)

Mr Pasty,

Are you aware that you linked to the "Neon" spray kit? Please note, I sir, will not be the Guinea Pig for some mad man trying to outdo a certain set of Gold BBS!!! :rofl:

Dave,

Have I missed the part where you sanded your wheels or did you just apply the etching primer straight off. The Leon alloys are near perfect condition apart from the outer lip which as you see from the pics above is pronounced/proud of the alloy face, I assume to eat up all the kerby goodness and save the spokes and face from impending mulleration. Given that the etching primer uses acid to prep the surface, is that why you didn't sand?

Most important is de-grease & de-wax the wheels.

Do not sand or cut back good paint or lacquer to bare alloy.  Not if you have non flaking wheels with a good coating from the factory on still.

( Etch can be used & must be on bare metal, but sparingly. very sparingly.)

But you can use etch on other coatings, you test and look for a reaction, and not just hash on.

Read up on the Etches & Etch Primers, very very light spray and its to aid the keying of the first coat.

If you are tidying up bare/scrapped bits, kerbed parts of the wheel,

then get them ready then some etch on that before you then prime, then etch primer. Just a light coat.

Anyway, no need to go to bare metal/alloy, just prepare the good surface by keying/sanding it, neat and not rough sanding.

and an etch primer used, again very lightly.

then a light primer or build primer. then colour coat, with then lacquer or not.

Preparation. Just do that well, the painting is simple. you just do not spray too close and cause runs.

Do the hard bits first lightly and then the obvious faces of the wheel are easy to do.

Do not cause your self work by rushing things..

Clean wheels. masked. sanded.  light etch, *Do not touch the etch.*  that does its job,

then gets covered with a coat of primer before an more sanding is done. or further painting.

george

PS.  Painting wheels are like anything else, not where it is too cold, damp or even too hot. Work where Clean, dust free and dry ,

and free of wax or silicones. (use a clean bucket)

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/286005-fabia-side-protection-painting

Brilliant, really helpful George, mercifully the wheels are in good condition, prior to me getting my hands on them they were run on 55 profile tyres and only the part of the alloy, I will from here on in call the scuff guard for simplicity, has any received any knocks, all the rest is decent and the OEM paintwork has no marks or bubbles, these have held up really well.

One bonus is I am massively well kitted out to get the wheels really clean, part of the reason for my forum name :) , I'm a tad OCD on cleaning kit.

I'll Snow foam 'em, then strip as much gunk as possible with APC from a sprayer, hand wash, de-tar with Tar-X, De-ironise with Iron-X, have some medium BH Clay then a wipe down with IPA, then if they aren't clean after that we have issues.

I am intrigued by Pasty's link to the cardip spray wrap as it would appear not to even require a primer aslong as the OEM paint is really clean, plus if I bodge it, 100% reversible.

• Like 1

Mate, my alloys were bargainously cheap and came with some tyres for me to sell on cheap to some lucky person. I'm only ordering something like Nankang SV2's and that cost looks massive compared to the alloys. The whole idea is that I don't have to worry about them. With that said, doesn't mean I won't give them a fettle to look nice.

Do we think the cardip spray will bond to exposed metal, I.e when I sand the kerbed rim, I don't want to apply primer if not needed, I would also worry the primer will show through or react chemically with the spray wrap.

.........my finger is literally hovering over the checkout now button.

not sure... I have never seen it used, so dont know what result you will get, but will be interesting to see!

SV2's are good when the weather is BAD (below freezing, ice, or snow) , not so good when the weather is normal, but as long as its cold enough they will outperform good quality summers by miles (I used 'em for 2 winters)

I didn't notice i'd linked ot the neon I thought i'd just linked the standard stuff.

The videos and all the stuff relating to the own brand plasti-dip seems to be genuine.

I too hovering incredibly close to ordering a set of neon purple to do the wheels on Mrs Pasty's car whisle s'e away this week on business - do however like my testicles being attached to the rest of me.

I am tempted by bodging my montreals back to full fitness though.

Sand and slap some filler in the spoke kerb damage, sand again, clean, then just spray over with plastic.

Saves all the hassle of doing it properly ;)

Alternatveyl when i get bored of gold i might do something to the Leon alloys. It;s cost me as much for the kit as it did to buy them in the first place though!! :D

• Like 1

Hey Dave,

I need to revive this thread as just done the same, I've invested in some alloys for winter and they would really benefit from a DIY refurb.

These are they:

9A8AF179-09AA-4079-8B26-9E17797CACA5-250

486CC7B7-9C64-4227-91C6-6FFD2DE29C9E-250

Would you be able to post up what paints you used and any advice on how you got the nice even finish.

Also if anyone who's clued up on paint can chip in, I'll take any advice going as this will be a first for me.

There are also some medium weight kerb scuffs on the outer edge of the alloy, what would be the best process to smooth these out?

Thanks

Edit: also how much did you need of each prod.

I bought the same wheels for my winter set,also put on some 205/46 16 SV-2's  :)  Sitting at work waiting for it to get a bit colder.

• Like 2

I didn't notice i'd linked ot the neon I thought i'd just linked the standard stuff.

The videos and all the stuff relating to the own brand plasti-dip seems to be genuine.

I too hovering incredibly close to ordering a set of neon purple to do the wheels on Mrs Pasty's car whisle s'e away this week on business - do however like my testicles being attached to the rest of me.

I am tempted by bodging my montreals back to full fitness though.

Sand and slap some filler in the spoke kerb damage, sand again, clean, then just spray over with plastic.

Saves all the hassle of doing it properly ;)

Alternatveyl when i get bored of gold i might do something to the Leon alloys. It;s cost me as much for the kit as it did to buy them in the first place though!! :D

Don't think JUST DO IT!!!!!!!

Neon Purple For The Massive Win

I do my best thinking whilst away on work away from the stifling influence of more sensible minds :rofl:

The glossifier might make a difference. A couple of people have said the standard gunmetal finish looks like grey primer.

Aha, well I have the gun metal, which I will follow with the metallic clear coat, then gloss on top.

I also do not want primer look.

:thumbup:

interested to see how this turns out.

start a new thread of your own when the work begins

this is a video from cardipuk rather than the 1000s of american plastidip ones

looks like good stuff

I've sat most of the day at my desk watching people coating all manner of things in spray plastic.

Amazing, so unproductive.

........in case my boss is following my build thread (actually did some work too)

well seeing as oulton park detroyed my fronts and they no longer work in the rain, I have put my winters on for the comming monsoon.....

looks quite odd with 16's on! bear in mind they are near as dammit the SAME rolling radius! interesting....

from offside:

mnf5.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

front:

jwwy.jpg

rear:

8kyi.jpg

nearside:

3gts.jpg

what do you think?!

I like it, with a clean car and some good tyre dressing to darken up the tyre sidewalls it would look spot on.

The extra tyre side wall and rugged tread look ready for the season.

They look a bit further under the arches than the 17's what is the ET on those wheels.

My Seat alloys are ET42 so will be a bit more sunken than the Gigaro's - the anti-spacer effect.