wiper issues

richk

mornign all, justa quick one regarding the wipers on my wife's fabia. basically she was using them and the driver side one stopped (the passenger side still worked). i removed the trim and found that the linkage had popped off the wiper unit (or wiper wheel box). very quick repair, but after a few minutes of using the wipers, the same happened again. i have repaired this several times, and it keeps happening. i am assuming that the joint in the linkage/wiper is worn. does anyone know if this is a servicable/replacable part?

cheers

Rich

Hi richk

Used one of these on my daughters Suzuki Swift whilst sourcing a more permanent repair (Suzuki wanted £325 + VAT for motor linkage wheelbox assembly!!!) - http://www.askthemechanic.co.uk/wipers/index.html

Eventually got new linkages from - http://www.wipex.co.uk/

Not sure if they have kits for 08+ Fabia though!

The clip from askthemechanic was quite effective over the few months it was fitted.

Hope this is of some help.

Alan

Edited by aak

• 11 months later...

Regarding front wiper, or wiper linkage, problems on Fabia Mk2's.

My drivers side linkage / wiper stopped working.

The problem, is the "pop-off" wiper linkage "pivot cups".
This, apparently, is symptomatic of many new cars across all makes.
Please excuse "My best efforts at technical terms".
Haynes do not currently have a manual for the Mk2 Fabia.

I offer the following - hoping that someone will add to it.

1: Simple "get me home" bodge - re-engage the wiper "crank arm" pivot back into the plastic "pivot cup" of the linkage.
1.1: To gain access to the linkage
1.1.1: Remove both wiper arms - you may need penetrating oil and a wiper puller.
1.1.2: Remove the two plastic nuts and the rubber weather strip holding the trim that sits under the wiper arms.
1.1.3: You are now able to MOVE the trim and, hopefully, be able to press the "pivot" back into its pivot cup.
          It is just a push fit. I have the, previously mentioned, spring clips from Wipex on order.
          Some grease or lube should / may help.

2.: Factory standard fix - replace the complete wiper linkage including the "pivot cups". The drivers side linkage with cups cost only a few pounds from your Skoda dealer.
2.1: Remove wiper arms, trim and bits as above.
2.2: Remove lower "trim", after undoing the five M10 plastic nuts.

2.3: To remove the complete wiper assembly, including linkages.

2.3.1: Remove the two securing nuts.
The wiper motor is now held on a centrallly located post via a large rubber bush.
2.3.2. Un-plug the electrical connection, you will have to squeeze the small detent on the connector. It works like a small spring loaded see-saw.
2.3.3: The wiper assembly can now be wrangled out - with some difficulty. (That central fixing post could be three mil shorter).
2.4: Wiper linkages can now be prised off and replaced.

Note: The wiper arm cranks (actually the right term - I believe) have ball joints - they look similar to olives on a plumbing pipe to me.
This affords some play in the mechanism.
The LHS wiper crank has its "ball" at the end whereas the RHS is lower down the post nearer the crank.
Is this normal? I do not think so as the linkage fits at a slight angle on the drivers side (UK).
The best fix would be a washer and either a "U" spring clip (after demelling a couple of grooves for them to sit in) or a split pin.
However; there does not seem to be enough length, on the "wiper crank pivot" to do this.

I am going to try to drill and tap the pivot post on the wiper crank in order that a washer can be screwed to the end as a stopper.
IF it will drill. There I go getting cynical again.

I hope that this helps.

Edited by phlogistan
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have the exact same problem on my Mk2 09 fabia so really pleased I have read this as I have been told I have to wait till the 23rd December to book it into halfords who my finance company use so I will be checking mine in the morning.. this site is a god send for all things skoda etc. Thanks guys

Very, very cheap repair. The replacement is available direct from Skoda for under a fiver so don't go to anyone else as you'll probably get sting!!!     Done mine a few months ago and now I just seen a few more popping off!

The replacement arm/link part code number is 5JO 955-325

As I look at my old part, in a poly bag with that number, it is listed as volkswagen group picking slip. Don't know if that means it fits more then just Fabia's though.

They pop off easy and just pop back on with help perhaps from a mole (vice) grip. Most of the work is in removing and refitting the plastic scuttle and wiper arms. Worth doing properly though as it allows enough room to work easily.  Part costs £2.95 from dealers. Fits 08 to 14 models apparently.  Oh, just to be sure... This is listed as right hand drive vehicles... Those driving lefties MAY have reverse wiper parts so check your old part number against this first to be safe, although pretty cheap to get wrong. It'll serve you right for insisting on driving on the wrong side of the road DESPITE us Brits telling you not to!

Edited by mrgf

• 4 weeks later...

I guess thats the added weight of snow on the mechanism! Its not the best design in the world, I must say. Does the job to a degree but fails after fairly light wear and tear to the ball joint! If it was an expensive fix, I'd have used the screw in the base bodge!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 19/12/2015 at 16:19, mrgf said:

Very, very cheap repair. The replacement is available direct from Skoda for under a fiver so don't go to anyone else as you'll probably get sting!!!     Done mine a few months ago and now I just seen a few more popping off!

The replacement arm/link part code number is 5JO 955-325

As I look at my old part, in a poly bag with that number, it is listed as volkswagen group picking slip. Don't know if that means it fits more then just Fabia's though.

They pop off easy and just pop back on with help perhaps from a mole (vice) grip. Most of the work is in removing and refitting the plastic scuttle and wiper arms. Worth doing properly though as it allows enough room to work easily.  Part costs £2.95 from dealers. Fits 08 to 14 models apparently.  Oh, just to be sure... This is listed as right hand drive vehicles... Those driving lefties MAY have reverse wiper parts so check your old part number against this first to be safe, although pretty cheap to get wrong. It'll serve you right for insisting on driving on the wrong side of the road DESPITE us Brits telling you not to!

I've just read your interesting and useful response to the wiper linkage theme... My 12 plate fabia elegance has just the same issue... In removing the trim I  note the assembly is a Valeo part, does this sound right? I couldnt see any numbers that corresponded with the vw part, although I haven't removed the part yet. Looking how cheap the part is its worth a punt? 

Hi, I think it may well be a Valeo... I had the new ball joint start to pop again since then so its not really a great design! I am a driving instructor though, so my students always have to practice using the wash/wipe, among other things and my car has now clocked around 120,000m. (New engine fitted, under warranty, at around 50,000m).

I ordered and purchased another arm but whilst waiting, fitted a small, steel clip, advertised as a temporary repair, from a well known auction sight. I never bothered to re-fit the new part as this clip has been just fine since! It basically goes over the joint, preventing the joint from popping off, regardless of how loose it may have become. It really does not take a lot to pop the joint or re-fit but once they start to pop, they are like Pringles... you just can't stop! I think I also lost the small, rubber gasket/shield type thing that may help prevent water getting into the joint. Not sure if the makes it wear faster or if lubing the joint would help preserve it or even make it easier to pop open again. It seems the joint is fighting against gravity too. I'd have passed my part on to you but postage would most likely be as much as a dealer wants for the part. I do though, Thoroughly recommend getting one or two of the temporary clips as they are so handy! Fiddly to fit and you will want to strip off the wiper arms/scuttle, just the same as if you are replacing the arm but my guess is you will only ever replace it once, unless it corrodes. I think it might be stainless though but if it was just mild or galvanised, it may rust away over a handful of years. Buy two as they may fit the other side of the linkage, keep the spare in the boot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/07/2017 at 10:58, mrgf said:

Hi, I think it may well be a Valeo... I had the new ball joint start to pop again since then so its not really a great design! I am a driving instructor though, so my students always have to practice using the wash/wipe, among other things and my car has now clocked around 120,000m. (New engine fitted, under warranty, at around 50,000m).

I ordered and purchased another arm but whilst waiting, fitted a small, steel clip, advertised as a temporary repair, from a well known auction sight. I never bothered to re-fit the new part as this clip has been just fine since! It basically goes over the joint, preventing the joint from popping off, regardless of how loose it may have become. It really does not take a lot to pop the joint or re-fit but once they start to pop, they are like Pringles... you just can't stop! I think I also lost the small, rubber gasket/shield type thing that may help prevent water getting into the joint. Not sure if the makes it wear faster or if lubing the joint would help preserve it or even make it easier to pop open again. It seems the joint is fighting against gravity too. I'd have passed my part on to you but postage would most likely be as much as a dealer wants for the part. I do though, Thoroughly recommend getting one or two of the temporary clips as they are so handy! Fiddly to fit and you will want to strip off the wiper arms/scuttle, just the same as if you are replacing the arm but my guess is you will only ever replace it once, unless it corrodes. I think it might be stainless though but if it was just mild or galvanised, it may rust away over a handful of years. Buy two as they may fit the other side of the linkage, keep the spare in the boot.

Thankyou very much for your excellent, in depth response... I've just fitted the new part this morning, iI see what you mean though, about them. Popping off again. I'm not holding my breath!! I'm going to order the mentioned clips, and fit one too. Like you say, the other can be a spare. Seems like a badly arranged part to me, cheap I guess at manufacture time. The car has been superb though, it's a 12 plate with 42k on the clock, it's had recently timing chain tensioners etc and water pump done, could do with getting the console bushing done though. Thankyou again for your help, many thanks, 

Tom

• 2 years later...

My son has just called me to say that his NS wiper has ceased working. I've just read this thread on Skoda fabia wiper issues. His is a Mk2 1.6 TDi.

He's a long way away so he'll have to wait 'till he's back home and able to get his car into my shed to be 'looked at'.

What I have found on 'tinternet is this; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Fabia-Windscreen-Wiper-Motor-Linkage-Link-Rod-Repair-Clip-1999-2014-/252811197950

Which folk may find useful.....

cheers,

Shim.

Hello Mr mrgf,

Love the input that you can find ten for a fraction of the price......... Now I'm sitting here doing my research and I can't find anything beyond a X3 spring clip for £11 deal. Possibly your London location means the local vehicle parts place will have X10 but here in rural East Anglia there simply isn't this opportunity! I'm quite content though to have an 'emergency' repair to hand delivered to my door for £5-.😎

What I have found is a replacement link-arm kit from Wipex which may do a better repair than the actual Skoda part. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172730942012 😉

Anyways, hope this info helps as there is nothing worse than wiper issues. I'm going to ring Bickerton Skoda which seem to have become Rainworth Skoda in the morning for a price comparison.

My Mk1 Cortina wipers, back in the day were occasionally operated by string. Quarterlights were a godsend.

My Series 1 LR had a 'manual' mode on each individual wiper motor, but then the roads were a lot less busy! Remedy was to get a Morris minor wiper rack fitted and ended up with a proper 'park' too.😃

Shim

10x Car Windshield Wiper Windscreen Motor Arm Linkage Repair Clip Link Metal ALI

copy and paste that on eBay and its actually a fiver!

10x Car Windscreen Windshield Wiper Motor Linkage Arm Link Repair Clip Kit Metal

That lot is actually £3 but the first listing states its U.K. stock so should be quick to arrive!

Im actually thinking of ordering a bunch to sell on so people know they can get them quick or pre-own one for the inevitable so I should really keep quiet about the price! 😇

Ah-ha, thanks.

What I have found out this afternoon from Skoda is that you need to check which company made your wiper assembly ie, Valeo or two other manufacturers. The parts dept have a selection of linkages for these three units, left and right hand, and they range in price from around £4 to around £8. They are all stock items. No issues with the mk1 skoda but plenty with mk 2's & 3's. They do have a mk1 linkage in stock but they tell me it has been on the shelf for a very long time!

Super helpful stores.

So the Wipex I posted is a little over priced.....I'll let y'all know how I get on as the car with the broken wiper is due back soon and I will acquire the relevent parts when I know which to order.

Shim.

• 2 months later...

I fitted a clip to the drivers side linkage a week ago now the square arm has come off the ball joint, the clip is still in place. should they last a while or is it temporary?

I fitted the clip to the ball joint then bent the clip while I pushed the arm on. The black rubber washer had fallen off already and lost.