Isle of wight ferrys, low car friendly?

joe_vrs_tdi

Never been to the isle of white or on a ferry to anywhere so just wondering if the ferry to and from there is low car friendly. Also if there are any good sites to book my ferry crossing you can recommend that would be great.

Thanks.

I was recently on a ferrie with the superb with P&O going from cairnryan - larne, it's just a ramp you drive onto the one I was on was perfectly matched to the road it wasn't like a speed bump up to it,

It does depend on the ferry/terminal when we drive to guernsey the ferry ramp and dock ramp are at odd angles so catching will happen but I have seen them make wooden temporary ramps to reduce the angles as they have some seriously expensive bit of metal coming off and on the island

It does depend on the ferry/terminal when we drive to guernsey the ferry ramp and dock ramp are at odd angles so catching will happen but I have seen them make wooden temporary ramps to reduce the angles as they have some seriously expensive bit of metal coming off and on the island

But would they do this for a tatty old skoda?

they had to do that when SWMBO and I were coming back from Germany at Esbjerg. Coach had no air suspension so they got the scaffold planks out

Never been to the isle of white or on a ferry to anywhere so just wondering if the ferry to and from there is low car friendly. Also if there are any good sites to book my ferry crossing you can recommend that would be great.

Thanks.

Both ferry companies have websites you can book and pay through (Wightlink or Red Funnel). Just be warned you need to have fairly deep pockets! Shouldn't be a problem having a low car.

You don`t need deep pockets if your an insomniac. Travel for 21 pounds each way midnight to 3 am with wightlink. Ramp isnt too steep either.

Yeah, I forgot about those! I imagine it's a little like being on the Marie Celeste. My daughter paid £115 last week for 'short break' crossings. :bandit:

Judging by the ferry prices, they are not friendly to any cars - its cheaper to do Dover Calais, than Lymington/yarmouth,  or Portsmouth/Ryde (Southampton/Cowes ?).

Earlier this week the Daily Telegraph listed a bridge to the Isle of Wight as one of the 13 capital expenditure projects it thought worth undertaking if the HMG fancied doing some Keynesian "Good works" !!

So, there we are, another thing that's always been the same (Or as long as I can remember it, i.e. 1960s) - overcharging for the ferry link to IOW, as if Red funnel and co haven't got their capital investment paid back several times over by now.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

Judging by the ferry prices, they are not friendly to any cars - its cheaper to do Dover Calais, than Lymington/yarmouth,  or Portsmouth/Ryde (Southampton/Cowes ?).

Earlier this week the Daily Telegraph listed a bridge to the Isle of Wight as one of the 13 capital expenditure projects it thought worth undertaking if the HMG fancied doing some Keynesian "Good works" !!

So, there we are, another thing that's always been the same (Or as long as I can remember it, i.e. 1960s) - overcharging for the ferry link to IOW, as if Red funnel and co haven't got their capital investment paid back several times over by now.

Nick

Big bone of contention on IOW. Be interesting to know how many inhabitants would welcome bridge, there's a very noisy anti brigade but suspect silent majority would favour one!

Big bone of contention on IOW. Be interesting to know how many inhabitants would welcome bridge, there's a very noisy anti brigade but suspect silent majority would favour one!

HMP Parkhurst might not be a supporter. :giggle:

Afterthought

Well, if they didn't want the cars, make the bridge trains only - they could get a decent light tram running on the track served by the existing ex-LT stock and run it over the bridge to Pompeii. There must be loads of commuters nowadays who do the IOW/pompei route daily.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

HMP Parkhurst might not be a supporter. :giggle:

Afterthought

Well, if they didn't want the cars, make the bridge trains only - they could get a decent light tram running on the track served by the existing ex-LT stock and run it over the bridge to Pompeii. There must be loads of commuters nowadays who do the IOW/pompei route daily.

Nick

HMP Parkhurst no more, now known as HMP Isle of Wight after closing Camp Hill and merging with Albany. The tunnel/bridge debate comes up every few years but no one thinks it will ever happen. I'm afraid ferry companies have islanders and visitors by the short and curlies!  :evil:

Ferry fares are a rip off.  Last year I took the family to Disney in Paris.  The fare for the Ireland to Wales route cost almost exactly 10x what the Dover to Dunkirk crossing did.  Yes it was a longer crossing, but by about 50% not 1000%.  Trouble is competition is lacking compared with the channel.

And that's not saying much, especially if you want to go to the West of France.

Brittany Ferries has bought up virtually every route west of Boulogne, with the exception of One Transmanche route , One LD lines route and the limited service by Condor to Cherbourg (The indirect service to St Malo doesn't compare as it takes too long during the day), and has set the pricing point (about double everybody else) under which the rest hide.

When LD first came on the scene about 6 years ago, I could get a return Portsmouth/Le Havre on a weekend at the end of the season for £160, now I'm lucky if I can get same for less than £250 in the middle of the week.

As far as I can see, more competition (Without regulation) has Just  resulted in more of the "Lets rob the UK Citizen, they are a bunch of stupid *******" attitude.

What's needed is another tunnel, say Ventnor (IOW) to Cherbourg, which at 66 miles, isn't out of the realms of technical achievement - might be a better investment for an export led Birmingham than HS2, as it would open-up the whole of western france as  a market (An area which the official statisticians tell us is going to increase its population significantly over the next few years).

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick