Console Problem

I got the console  bushes done on on my Fabia put in Meyle ones, also done new wishbone arms , ball joints and replaced all the bolts. Drove the car for about 20 miles all seemed fine.

Got up today and drove to work and the car was handling like a pig and also had a strange groaning and creaking noise from the front with the occasional knock going over the larger potholes that pass for roads these days. I wasn't to concerned at the time as I had the car booked in for alignment after the suspension work and just thought it was needing truing up. Wrong! 

The front console bolts on both sides had come loose, and when they were attempted to be tightened up again they just spun so, obviously the threads are stripped despite the care taken to do them both carefully and properly.

So, my question is this, can longer bolts be put in and nuts added to save having to strip all the suspension down again, or am I just going to have to bite the bullet?

I am only looking at this option as I have already spent £200 for the work I have had done and Swmbo is less than pleased at the prospect of the same again to do new consoles.

Not helped by new wheel bearing, alternator, timing belt kit and alternator belt tensioner having been done in the last 3 months.   :( she thinks I am just throwing good money after bad now and is less than enthusiastic.

The bolt snapped in one of mine so I picked a second hand one up for £25. You'd probably be best off doing that and saving the hassle. If I remember right a new one is about £106.

cant you drill them all the way through and put a nut and longer bolt in?

That's what I'm trying to find out mate, I was hoping that someone in the forum would maybe have done it or one of the techie's might have a professional opinion.

Which bolt is it?

The front bolt for the steel wishbones which goes through the front bush and into the alloy console which also holds the rear bush(the troublesome one, lol). Could a longer bolt be put in (approx 125 mm) and secured with a nut and negate the need for a new console, perchance?

Edited by Coffin Dodger

well if your consoles ****** you could try drilling it and putting a nut on .... if it doesnt work out its still ****** so your no worse off

Good point! Think I'll just get new longer bolts and nuts, save the drilling part.

For the hassle its worth, just buy some second hand consoles. I paid £25 for one of mine after the bolt snapped. You won't have any room to fit a nut due to how the casting is made. You'd need to grind a fair amount of material for a nut to be fitted. 

Day

New console, if you have a look I'm sure there isn't enough room.

well if your consoles ****** you could try drilling it and putting a nut on .... if it doesnt work out its still ****** so your no worse off

I'll check this out, (crosses fingers, toes, lol)

Yep, checked today you're both right, could get a longer bolt in with a little fiddling but no room for the nut.

Out of curiosity I got my torque wrench out and checked the settings on the two bolts (I had the job done in a garage that I trusted), they were both loose! 

So, I have re torqued them to the correct setting and I have managed to get them to lock out (torque wrench made clicking noise as it should), I am now having trust issues with the garage which is a little sad as I have been using them for years without problems. 

I usually get them to do stuff for me where a ramp is needed,  if i'm stuck for time or if special tools are required. I feel there are somethings now that I am not fit to do at the road side any more as I am getting on a bit and no longer as fit as I once was.

All I can do now is re-check the bolts in a couple of days and listen for any odd noises and deal with whatever crops up (if anything).

Fingers crossed  :yes:

Thanks for everyone's assistance guys!

Edited by Coffin Dodger

• 1 month later...

My VRS threads had gone in the aluminium console. The garage put a longer bolt through. It still knocks. The part (not sure what its called) where the head of the bolt sits has become oversized now. The bolt moves around and clunks. I think I am looking at replacing said part and also the nearside console. Anyone done this? Anyone tell me the correct name of the parts please?  I aint looking forward to it.  Anyone have a link to an underside parts diagram etc so I may correctly identify the parts I require?

Many thanks,

Phil

It's the classic fault of using a pneumatic nut runner which they use for all bolts, by the time they come to use a torque wrench, if at all, the damage has already been done.

DB.

Looks like a new subframe and a nearside console then.  I can see a pair of consoles on ebay for £140, anywhere else for the nearside only and a subframe?    Is it a job I can undertake myself or am I best using a garage?

Thanks for the replies,

Phil

• 3 weeks later...