Water Ingress front passanger footwell Skoda Octavia 2006 Estate

Hi,

Please help!!! My fathers 2006 skoda octavia has water building up in the front passanger footwell. Sorry I know this topic has been propbably covered, but this has been hell for the last year. With many a visit to the loacl garage. They say they have checked the pollen filer and drain holes.

I've noticed water dripping down the side of the glove box.

One of the inside door rubber drain bungs seamed a little gunked up and water came out when a screw driver was pushed into it a couple of minutes ago (since coming back from the garage). Please have a look at the photos thanks....

post-107117-0-03599100-1377005786_thumb.jpg

post-107117-0-61970500-1377005800_thumb.jpg

Welcome.

Behind the glovebox is the fan for the Air Con and the flap that recirculates the air (or not). I'm not sure where this draws air into the vehicle from, but it seems quite likely that this may be it.

Lower down is a rubber grommit that goes from inside the cabin into the engine bay (appears beneath the battery tray).

However, both of these seem too low for what you are indicating (the latter definitely is).

Have you checked the scuttle panel under the wiper arms to see if that is clogged or has any obvious signs of water?

Just a thought, but given how dry it has been recently (don't know about York), has there been any change in the amount of water coming in?

Hello,

That might be the drain for the sunroof - does it have a sunroof?? - in which case the water could have been overflowing the sunroof and travelling down the 'A' pillar before appearing where you see it near the glovebox.  If the car has a sunroof park it on the level, open the sunroof and pour some water in - you should see it appear on both sides of the car.

T

Can anyone help?

My fathers 2006 skoda octavia has water building up in the front passanger footwell.

I've noticed water dripping down the side of the glove box (see picture).

One rubber drain bungs inbetween the hinges on front pqassanger footwell seamed a little gunked up and water came out when a screw driver was pushed into it a couple of minutes ago. Please have a look at the photo.

Its been to the garage and had the usual suspects checked but no one can find the problem. The whole of the dash has been taken off and we can't find any water marks anywhere. Any suggestions would be greatly appeciated!!!

post-107117-0-95009600-1377080600_thumb.jpg

post-107117-0-60276200-1377080644_thumb.jpg

Is it the condensation drain from the air con, a friend recently had this problem, the pipe had a split in it.

Regards all

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

Hello mate & welcome.

Have you changed your pollen filter recently? It's situated just under the glovebox and is easy enough to remove. I'm sure I've read on here that if it becomes contaminated with leaves etc it can cause the symptoms you are describing.

Also, remove or partially remove the wheel arch liner and have a look behind. I did mine and as you can see from the attached photo, it was chocca block with leaves and composted leaves which looked like soil. This can seriously impede the drainage of water away from the vehicle by blocking the drainage channels and can cause water ingress as you describe.

Is it clear water or does it have a smell / taste?

Sometimes the rear wash / wipe tube which is routed in this location can spring a leak and enter the vehicle. Earlier in the year I had a very slight leak of coolant from a pipe at the rear of the engine which was dribbling ever so slightly into the front passenger footwell. It was quite difficult to diagnose and was only remedied after the system was pressure tested a couple of times. I was also losing coolant, albeit very slowly. Is your coolant level as it should be?

Hope this helps & good luck.

FP.

Edited by flying pig

wow, thanks for all these replies its great to have a few more heads on this as its stumpted me and my mechanic.I'll show these replies to the old boy and report back. The car does have a sun roof and I think the drain hole that was blocked (inbetween the door hinges) is the drain hole for the sunroof? Thanks again everyone!!!

The leak is definately not coolant or wiper wash. Rain water I think....

Wheel Arches have been checked...

Will check the sun roof again and let you know...

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi everyone,

I have been looking at threads for ages regarding water leaking and am stumped too.

At first it was the driverside footwell and passenger side footwell so I thought it may be door seal cards. No such evidence of this.

Then I thought it was the sunroof drainage pipe - cleared this out and removed a tonne of compost from under the right side wheel arch.

However it's been raining again and i've managed to catch the leaking in the act - any ideas?

I appreciate any help!

Thanks

post-115634-0-01031100-1399994017_thumb.jpg

post-115634-0-11705300-1399994035_thumb.jpg

post-115634-0-13771700-1399994053_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

Hi folks

I have been struggling to find out why my front passenger footwell carpets on my 4 year old Skoda Scout are getting wet. Now having stripped out all the wadding and insulation , and pulled the carpet back, I finally have it dry, and having spent several weeks driving around with the floor exposed, I have found the source of the water ingress into the car, but sadly not the actual soource of the leak. Water is getting into the small box at the base of the door pillar where there is an inspection hole to get to the bottom hinge bolt, It then builds up and flows out of the big hole onto the floorpan ( I sealed the lower smaller holes. i have tried to ctreate the leak with a hosepipe without success (how can that be ??? ) My car does not have a sunroof, and I put a food dye in the washer bottle , and that's not leaking from  above either. 

Solution I can live with ??? Strip out wheel arch lining and drill a hole in bottom corner of this box area from the wheel arch. It took a bit of drilling as it is double skinned ( inner wing & body shell . Outcome.... water ingress now flows out of hole onto the ground, and can no longer build up and overflow onto the floorpan. Not perfect but at least I have dry carpets again. This was never a job I could intrust to a garage as I have spent hours waiting for this leak to appear, as it only occurs after days of long steady rain.

Really not sure I will buy another Skoda as this is the first one I have owned , and not that impressed with a wet car.

Shame really as in most aspects it is quite nice to drive.