Fix for electric window issues when things start operating strangely.

There have been many posts about electric window issues with most being related to the loss of 'convenience' one-touch opening and closing. This can happen when the battery is disconnected or, as on my car, when the battery was getting a bit tired and the voltage dropping enough at startup to cause issues with the convenience system needing resetting.

Doing this is via the usual key-in-door, hold in open position until windows are fully open, then hold key in locked position until the windows are fully up. This is described in the car owners manual (or can be downloaded from links on this forum). Sometimes you also have to hold the window switches in the fully up position for a few seconds even when the window is fully up.

However, I have had other more weird problems similar to other posts. I have had the passenger window stop working completely and the window switches on the drivers door getting swapped (left works right and right works left).

The fix for me to all these symptoms has been to pull the fuses for the electric windows (or alternatively disconnect the battery although some people don't like doing this for some reason).

However, this doesn't work unless left for about 1 hour. If it's done for a few minutes, it doesn't reset the symptoms. There must be some residual current left that has to drain away to cause the system to reset. I think similar things happen with airbags as they can still be live when unplugged if not left for an hour or two.

On my vRs, which only has 2 front electric windows, the fuses are number 46 and 58 and they are both 25amp (white/light grey).

This has ALWAYS worked for my windows when they start doing weird things.

By the way, the convenience system has to be reset after this to get one-touch operation back.

Hope this helps with anyone having problems.

Edited by Shadowphax
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Bringing up an old-ish thread, but this is the most applicable to my problem.

I have just got my car back from the garage, and the passanger window doesnt work at all. There is a white/grey fuse in the car, which as described above, seems like it could be for the passanger window.

Another problem, is that when I hold the key in the open position in the door, the windows dont open. Could this be due to the fact that the passanger window fuse MIGHT be removed? or should this work anyway?

Thanks Guys :)

Bringing up an old-ish thread, but this is the most applicable to my problem.

I have just got my car back from the garage, and the passanger window doesnt work at all. There is a white/grey fuse in the car, which as described above, seems like it could be for the passanger window.

Another problem, is that when I hold the key in the open position in the door, the windows dont open. Could this be due to the fact that the passanger window fuse MIGHT be removed? or should this work anyway?

Thanks Guys :)

Not sure about the fuse, but occasionally my passenger window stops working completely and the drivers side loses 'one touch'. If you take the rubber cover off the passenger door loom, take out the top plug and put it back in this normally sorts it. The top plug is also pretty prone to corrosion which may need cleaning up. If isn't the fuse then I would give this a try.  

• 3 months later...

There have been many posts about electric window issues with most being related to the loss of 'convenience' one-touch opening and closing. This can happen when the battery is disconnected or, as on my car, when the battery was getting a bit tired and the voltage dropping enough at startup to cause issues with the convenience system needing resetting.

Doing this is via the usual key-in-door, hold in open position until windows are fully open, then hold key in locked position until the windows are fully up. This is described in the car owners manual (or can be downloaded from links on this forum). Sometimes you also have to hold the window switches in the fully up position for a few seconds even when the window is fully up.

However, I have had other more weird problems similar to other posts. I have had the passenger window stop working completely and the window switches on the drivers door getting swapped (left works right and right works left).

The fix for me to all these symptoms has been to pull the fuses for the electric windows (or alternatively disconnect the battery although some people don't like doing this for some reason).

However, this doesn't work unless left for about 1 hour. If it's done for a few minutes, it doesn't reset the symptoms. There must be some residual current left that has to drain away to cause the system to reset. I think similar things happen with airbags as they can still be live when unplugged if not left for an hour or two.

On my vRs, which only has 2 front electric windows, the fuses are number 46 and 58 and they are both 25amp (white/light grey).

This has ALWAYS worked for my windows when they start doing weird things.

By the way, the convenience system has to be reset after this to get one-touch operation back.

Hope this helps with anyone having problems.

thank you yet another really helpful post on briskoda :o)

• 2 weeks later...

i have a 56 plate vrs with window issues, i have tied a switch set from a friends fabia and didnt work i also tried mine in his and worked, changed fuses still nothing, removed motor from door and took the pcb out of motor and put 12 volts directly onto 2 pins and motor its self worked, checked voltage on plugs that connect to motor, 12 volts on 2 pins permanent and 4 volts on what i presume is the switch wire when button pressed.. so i think the fault must lie in the electronic board mounted to the motor. unless any one else has a different option to try ?? i have also plugged in to a snap on diognostic computer which registered no faults.. can any one help         

• 1 month later...

I'm fed up with my windows not working. Just had the drivers door trim off to check the wiring with a multimeter. Got 12 volts through to the motor and the drivers side window switch is okay. So I presume I need anew motor? If so I'll have to grin and bear it. Don't really feel like going to my local retailer because every time the car goes their the Service Adviser seems to create a job creation scheme! 

I've been without working windows for months now! Bought a motor but it was the wrong one as it had 4 plugs and I need a 2 plug one which seems to be more elusive than anything else for the fabia. I should think as the warmer weather comes I'll end up lubing myself up and letting skoda parts have my pants down for a new one as I reckon it will triple figures for one :(

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I've got a similar problem now.  On the driver's door 2 switch control the windows would only open/close when pressed half way.

Now both windows don't work, but if I remove both fuses, wait an hour and start the car, then replace the fuses the passenger window works from the passenger door only.  This only works if I start the car first.  if I replace the fuses before starting the passenger window will not open.  The driver door control unit doesn't open or close either window.

If I switch the engine off and leave it a while neither window works.

So I went and bought a new drivers door 2 switch unit.  Makes no difference :-(

Opening and closing the windows with the key doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

• 2 months later...

Hi, has anyone found a fix?

I have a Fabia MK2. Both front electric windows doesn't work even open with the key. Like there is no power - DEAD!

They were working one day and then a few days later nothing.

I have got my volts meter and current is going to the switch as well as the motor, so there isn't a problem there.

I really don't know what to do and i have spent hours on trying to fix the problem. Any help will be great. Thank you

I've fixed mine, so my little story....

It started that both front windows stopped working, next day they worked. I found its worse on old days and better when the cars warm.

I checked the drivers switch because this operates both front windows, or was fine.

I checked the wiring in the door to find some worn but no damage or splits.

Checking fuses is pointless as it's an intermittent fault, fuses don't fix them selfs and break again... But something to note and narrow down your fault. If you unplug the correct fuse and plug it back in and the windows work again the chances are the motor is at fault.

I stripped the door down and unplugged the motor and plugged it back in, both windows worked no problem. Left it for an hour, had some dinner and tried them again, nothing! Again as above, unplugged and put back in and worked. This told me the motor is possibly at fault. It's worth noting it isn't just a motor, it's got a module attached that controls window position and controlls both front windows.

So with a new window motor my issue is fixed!

Am I wright in thinking that both front windows should be running one touch as my drivers is fine but passengers dosent work ... Not really fussed as mine works lol just something else to play with on a Saturday morning at work cheers

• Like 1

Have you tried resetting the one touch function?

With it fully up, press the switch for the passenger window button down and hold is down until the window is fully down and hold for two seconds, then hold up on the switch until the window is fully closed and hold again for a few seconds.

Do this twice in a row and it should be back to being one touch.

Had intermittent trouble with both sides on ours during the week before last. After reading a few things that suggested dampness as a possible factor, I stuck a dehumidifier in it most of the Saturday, taking maybe 1.5 litres of water out (even though there are no known leaks). Windows have worked fine since.

Coincidentally, the unknown-age AA-branded battery died the next day, and was replaced that Monday morning. Both windows have been fine every time they've been operated since. No idea if the dying battery was related in any way, but thought I'd mention it just on case anyone else had seen a similar coincidence.  

• 8 months later...

I have been some truble with Electric windows since the Cables were changed earlier, doe to a broken Cable.

During my searche Ifound this site, and this statements could be very important:

http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/fabia-mk1/body/body_work/self_diagnosis_v.a.g_inspection_service/self-diagnosis_for_convenience_system_with_lin_databus_cable/fault_table_of_lin_databus/control_units_for_window_control_in_the_individual_doors/

The funny thing was that when there had not been Power to the window motor for more than ½ minute (I found out after) the motor worked - only once. Then nothing.

But after Reading all the posts under "Self diagnostics" (the bar on the left on the previous link) I startedto udnerstand that purhaps its very important to do Everything in the right order and have doors closed, wait for right number of seconds if Power is dismissed and so on.

After Reading here I also found out that this problems with window motor could appear doe to an unlubricated window slide (Post #5 http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/299454-fabia-ii-2-2008-model-problem-with-drivers-electric-window/). After I got the windows working, I took the fuses out for 30 secs, I got them working. I also started to gues that maby they have to be resetted. So I did so, directly. I then heared that the passenger side window motor was working very heavily! So tomorrow, in the day light, I'll lubricate it!

But, after the resetting I still could operate both windows- this was more I never could do Before! I also started the Engine - and still was able to operate both windows! JIPPI!!

The car is not mine, but if I can get the windows work for all that time its gonna be here - I'll let you know =O)

• 3 months later...

I have a 2005 Fabia VRS Mk1. The electric windows have stopped working. I have removed the fuses and replaced them with the same fuses (I tried new fuses and they didn't work?) and this fixes the problem for a while then they stop working again.  I have isolated it to fuse 46 if remove then reinsert the same fuse it fixes the problem temporarily. Obviously I don't want to keep doing this any ideas of a permanent fix?

I have a 2005 Fabia VRS Mk1. The electric windows have stopped working. I have removed the fuses and replaced them with the same fuses (I tried new fuses and they didn't work?) and this fixes the problem for a while then they stop working again.  I have isolated it to fuse 46 if remove then reinsert the same fuse it fixes the problem temporarily. Obviously I don't want to keep doing this any ideas of a permanent fix?

Seal your doors if you haven't already, a lot of Fabias have leaking doors and they muck up the electrics inside the car.

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking it might be damp as I had it valetted recently and it seems to have only started since then.  I'll check the door seals and maybe try some electrical contact cleaner. Hopefully it will just need to dry out properly.