Citigo Service Schedule

Owens

Here is the service schedule I have been given by the dealer where we got our March 2013 Citigo from. Hopefully it clears up the confusion over costs

The cam belt is checked at 160,000 miles or REPLACED every 4 years. This seems to be a bit OTT.

I have made up a 5 years schedule as follows

Year 1         ££85.00 at todays prices              

Labour                                   0.5 hours

Part No.                                  Qty                              Part/Service 

ZGB115QLB00511              3.4L                               Oil

04E115561H                        1                                   Oil Filter

G052164M4                          1L                                Screen Wash

N90813202                           1                                  Sump Plug

Year 2         £160.00 at todays price

Labour                                   1.3 hours

Part No.                                  Qty                              Part/Service

04E115561H                        1                                   Oil Filter

G052164M4                          1L                                Screen Wash

N90813202                           1                                  Sump Plug

?                                           1                                  Pollen Filter

?                                            A/R                             Clean Rear Brake Drums

Year 3           

Labour                                   ? hours

ZGB115QLB00511              3.4L                              Oil

G052164M4                         1L                                 Screen Wash

N90813202                          1                                   Sump Plug

?                                           A/R                              Replace Brake Fluid

Year 4

ZGB115QLB00511              3.4L                              Oil

G052164M4                          1L                                Screen Wash

?                                            1                                 Pollen Filter

?                                            A/R                             Clean Rear Brake Drums

?                                           3                                  Spark Plugs

?                                           1                                  Air Filter

?                                           1                                  Timing Belt

Year 5           

?                                             A/R                             Replace Brake Fluid                      

By Part

Spark plugs                           Replaced every 4 years or 40,000 miles

Pollen Filter                           Replaced every 2 years or 20,000 miles

Air Filter                                 Replaced every 4 years or 40,000 miles

Timing Belt                            Check at 160,000 miles or Replaced every 4 years Estimated at around £299

Timing Belt inc pump?           Check at 160,000 miles or Replaced every 4 years  Estimated at around £369

Clean Rear Brake Drums      Every 2 years

Brake Fluid                            Replaced every 3, 5, 7 years

The only thing left to clarify is if the water pump belt and water pump needs changing every 4 years?

Very comprehensive.....however, am I being dim here? If the timing belt is being checked at 160,000m....but being replaced every four years....for that to make sense, wouldn't you need to exceed 40,000m each year? Sorry, but it doesn't quite "gel" in my mind!

I'm with you on that one. However, I think this may be a Skoda UK thing that they set the frequency of service for the timing belts. It's like the Citigo could be on variable servicing in some countries yet the UK sticks with fixed 10K servicing.

Can anyone out of the UK shed any light on their service schedule and any differences there may be?

the 4 years for a belt seems to be a standard due to deteriation of the belt leading to cracking around the tooth bases on the belt

160k miles seem to indicate how little load is placed on the belt

so when you look at it in that way it does seem to make a sort of sense

Talking about Brake Fluid change.Smart say it needs changing every 2 years from new.Does it not make a difference what kind of mileage you do? If someone only does 1000 miles a years,surely its not the same as someone doing 20 000 a year,and so would not need changing.

Another point that no one ever mentions is Anti Freeze. Does anyone change that,and if so when,after 2 years,3,or 4 etc?  I have never changed it on any car,but always topped up with a 50% anti freeze/water mix if it needed topping up.

Glycol-based brake fluid is hygroscopic, and absorbs water from the atmosphere. Increased water content lowers the boiling point of the fluid, which in extreme cases could result in it vaporising under severe braking. It doesn't matter how many miles you do, it should be changed on a time basis.

• Like 1

OK so here is an update from Skoda Technical on the cam and water pump belt 

I am happy to confirm that the information I previously provided is correct, and to confirm, the cambelt replacement intervals
for your vehicle are 160,000 miles.

Having your cambelt replaced every 4 years is a UK recommendation on most Skoda vehicles, but Skoda UK's Technical Department
maintain that every 160,000 miles is the interval for a cambelt replacement on your Citigo based on the engine type and size.

The same intervals apply to the Water Pump Drive Belt.

So that adds a nice twist to the tail?

Our citigo will probably only do 5-6K a year so we may opt for 6 to 8 years. However I will be keeping an eye on the belts post the 5 year warranty.

Oh they also confirmed that the 1/2 year extended warranty does come with RAC breakdown/recovery.

• Like 2

Owens - thanks for that clarification and also the info regarding extended warranty/ breakdown cover. I must say that I didn't think that the breakdown cover was extended too, because no mention is made of it at all in the extended warranty blurb. I do wish they would get their respective acts together!

Oh they also confirmed that the 1/2 year extended warranty does come with RAC breakdown/recovery.

When I asked the head salesman if the 2 year extended warranty I bought, came with RAC breakdown/recovery and he said no.  However if he was wrong, then I'm very glad to hear that it does come with this additional safety net.

I have bought the Skoda extended warranty for the past 3 years on my 07 Ocky. Yes it does cost around £375 a year but I have got my moneys worth each year. The latest being a new turbo (still waiting for confirmation of the claim as I type). 

I had a major trouble with the sales team where I bought the Citigo. I always do plenty of research prior to going to the dealer and caught them out several times. I just wish they would admit when they don't know something.

Many thanks for your efforts to clarify all these points Owens.

It really is terrible that Skoda UK cannot come up with a consistent line on things and that dealers all seem to say different things.

I went into my dealer today and they were advertising an extended warranty for the price you paid but it clearly stated that breakdown was extra.

I am sure someone did say that the warranty you buy from a dealer is not the same as the full factory one you can order with a new car that Skoda will now extend at point of sale (only) - maybe this does have breakdown cover - if it does it is even better value.

The new generation engines are all going back to belt drive but with longer lasting belts. Skoda UK have clearly ignored this for a time and are now stating both the new line regarding expected long-life and old line regarding recommended replacement - at the same time to cover themselves!!!

What if you get the factory 5 year warranty - do Skoda UK still say change it at 4 when you go in for a service? I guess it will all depend who you speak to, in which dealer and on what day of the week.

Many thanks for your efforts to clarify all these points Owens.

It really is terrible that Skoda UK cannot come up with a consistent line on things and that dealers all seem to say different things.

I went into my dealer today and they were advertising an extended warranty for the price you paid but it clearly stated that breakdown was extra.

I am sure someone did say that the warranty you buy from a dealer is not the same as the full factory one you can order with a new car that Skoda will now extend at point of sale (only) - maybe this does have breakdown cover - if it does it is even better value.

The new generation engines are all going back to belt drive but with longer lasting belts. Skoda UK have clearly ignored this for a time and are now stating both the new line regarding expected long-life and old line regarding recommended replacement - at the same time to cover themselves!!!

What if you get the factory 5 year warranty - do Skoda UK still say change it at 4 when you go in for a service? I guess it will all depend who you speak to, in which dealer and on what day of the week.

• 4 weeks later...

Having mine serviced next week, it's basically an oil change, that's it. I've looked at the spec for the service schedule and it doesn't even include an air filter change until 40k, strange. So I'm paying £99 for something I can carry out just to get a service stamp for the warranty, Who talked me into buying a new car? Well I thought it was a good idea at the time..

So it looks like taking out the extended warranty at time of purchase could be a good thing to do.

Also, if some dealers are not offering breakdown cover with the extended warranty then could it be that they are offering a non-Skoda warranty for years 4 and 5, on which they get a kick-back from the warranty provider? I've almost been caught out by this sort of thing from a dealership for another marque.

I've had a recent conversation with Skoda UK Customer Services who have confirmed that taking out the factory extended warranty (when ordering vehicle) also extends the Skoda Assist breakdown....nothing to do with the dealer. You order and pay for the extended warranty...you get the extended Skoda Assist automatically.

If you don't get a courtesy car when your car goes in for a warranty repair. You have to arrange a hire car yourself and claim it back from the extended warranty company. The maximum hire period is 5 days and the cost can only be refunded if you have a valid warranty claim which can take days from the initial fault being diagnosed. I found this out when my Ocky had a problem. it took 8 days to get a valid claim agreed?

the 4 years for a belt seems to be a standard due to deteriation of the belt leading to cracking around the tooth bases on the belt

160k miles seem to indicate how little load is placed on the belt

so when you look at it in that way it does seem to make a sort of sense

Surely 4 yrs seems a bit premature for the belt. On the Ford Fiesta as an example it is 125,000 miles or 10 YEARS !!

Had a conversation with Skoda Customer Services today who confirmed the Skoda extended warranty taken out with vehicle order, or more accurately prior to vehicle registration, does not include Skoda Assist. This is confirmed by the extended warranty booklet which does not mention it.

Had a conversation with Skoda Customer Services today who confirmed the Skoda extended warranty taken out with vehicle order, or more accurately prior to vehicle registration, does not include Skoda Assist. This is confirmed by the extended warranty booklet which does not mention it.

There you are, then....contradictory statements from Skoda UK on this question. Several of us have been told that Skoda Assist IS extended...one guy had an email confirming it.

I asked the same question to Skoda UK and this is their reply

'With regard to Extended Warranties, I am happy to confirm that Skoda Assistance, in partnership with the RAC will provide

Roadside Recovery throughout the duration of the warranty'

I was told the reason it is not mentioned is because the booklet is for the warranty side i.e. repair of the car and the conditions which apply. 

Had mine in for it's first service today. Very impressed with the dealer doing the service, the one I originally purchased from. Had it done in an hour, basically an oil change and check over as others have said, they did valet though as well so saved me a job.