egr - yay or nay?

CWizzle

so today im finally making the call and booking inmy car to have a remap :D

my question is, is it worth keeping the egr mapped in or having it mapped closed so that it doesnt function?

a mate with a vrs fab said that the car will become thirstier without the egr. but at the same time im wary that if it went wrong, it can bugger everything.

im asking because i did a search and couldnt find anything comprehensive in the search.

mileage wise my commute is a 20 round trip although thatll be cut soon potentially to 12 miles. hardly enough time, 6 miles, to warm everything up properly. ive read one of the purposes of the egr is to warm everything up quicker?

would you keep it normal? or have it mapped out?

help / advice is appreciated.

cheers

chris

Im wondering about this too. I guess if it takes longer to warm up more fuel may be used. My gut feeling is if it aint broke, but the does having it mapped out and leaving the actual valve in place have any consequences

The EGR is there to improve emmisions and nothing else.

It sucks exhaust gas back in to the air system and processes it again burngin more of the harmful gasses in the process.

A happy side effect of the way it works is that it heats the egine up faster.

When i had my  buying-the-wrong-turbo episodeI had to remove the EGR to get the turbo to fit.

I simply removed the pipe which connects exhaust manifold to EGR and blanked off the resulting 2 holes and jobs a goodun.

Car is now better on fuel than before; I guess as it's more efficient to be burning pure air all the time rather than the les oxygen rich air/exhaust fume mix.

All the vacuum pipes stay in place so no dash warning lights and no need to map anything.

Not sure if all that'll be true on a BLT engine rather than an ASZ engine but if I had to do it again I know i'd rather buy 2 blanking plates than a £75 EGR removal kit and potential engine map tweak...

Sorry if I sound stupid but if you used the blanking plates like the darkside developments and had it mapped out you can still leave the egr and vac pipes in position without having to use a replacement pipe?

Pasty, what did you use to blank it off?

2012_04_19_20_51_47_548493_1015075296274

These

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/egr-blanking-plate-for-turbo-egr-port.html

Sorry if I sound stupid but if you used the blanking plates like the darkside developments and had it mapped out you can still leave the egr and vac pipes in position without having to use a replacement pipe?

On my ASZ its all still attached like normal all I've done is remove the pipe between the EGR and the manifold and blanked the resulting holes.

No need for remapping to remove lights from the dash as is everything is still attached so the ECU doesn't think there's a problem.

As said though the EGR on a later BLT engine is different so you may be different

Yup one for the hole in the manifold and one for the hole in the EGR.

The bolts that would normally hold the joining pipe in place just hold the blanking plates instead so nothing else required.

Although might be worth refreshing the gaskets dependant on the condition of the ones you take off.

Ive fitted egr delete recently and have to say big improvement, no longer judders at idle anymore accel is smoother and sounds really nice and clean and mpg has improved.

Only down side i read about was vibration due to not having the anti shudder on turn off, but have to say its not that bad most of time i cant tell difference.

So pasty just to be clear if I was to use the 2 blanking plates and left everything else intact this would basically be a egr delete and no eml would come one? Then I could have the egr mapped out when I finally get round to mapping it?

There are many misconceptions about EGR bandied about on here, on a turbodiesel the EGR does indeed reduce NOx emissions, it does this by REDUCING combustion chamber temperatures while the vehicle is being driven in a lean cruise mode, this also reduces the EGT to which the turbo is exposed, which improves the longevity of the turbo, something I think many of you enthusiastic 'deleters' may be already be painfully aware of.

The EGR system DOES NOT affect starting, idle, full-bore acceleration or top speed.

The EGR system DOES improve fuel economy and reduce NOx emissions in lean cruise conditions.

The EGR system is challenging for mappers to retain since they have to remap it's behaviour as well which means dyno time with the remapped car in lean cruise conditions.

The best solution by far is do the elephant mod and maintain your EGR system in perfect condition, there is NO performance gain to be had from deletion.

So pasty just to be clear if I was to use the 2 blanking plates and left everything else intact this would basically be a egr delete and no eml would come one? Then I could have the egr mapped out when I finally get round to mapping it?

Assuming yours is an early ASZ engine i can confirm that that is correct.

I removed the pipe blanked off the 2 holes and everything has been fine ever since.

No warning lights no issues; and given that fact I can't really see any reason to get a mapper involved.

It might not have been the egr, might have just been a sticky anti shudder valve that was in my egr valve. But my mpg has increased and there is no longer the occasional vibration at idle and the engine does sound and run smoother.

Assuming yours is an early ASZ engine i can confirm that that is correct.

I removed the pipe blanked off the 2 holes and everything has been fine ever since.

No warning lights no issues; and given that fact I can't really see any reason to get a mapper involved.

I'm planning to get it mapped as it's standard so that's why I mentioned getting it mapped out later but think I will leave it as it is, just thought it was a cheap mod that's all and mine is a asz on a 2005

It might not have been the egr, might have just been a sticky anti shudder valve that was in my egr valve. But my mpg has increased and there is no longer the occasional vibration at idle and the engine does sound and run smoother.

I completely agree with your diagnosis of a faulty anti-shudder valve.