How would you take this roundabout?

So I thought I'd throw this out to the Briskoda massive.

You approach this roundabout from this direction >

http://goo.gl/maps/Z5oVb

and you want the 3rd exit, Groveway.

Which lanes do you take?

My method is approach in the right hand lane marked with right arrow. Continue onto the roundabout then after the second set of lights as move over to the outside lane as traffic on my left should be going straight on. However, 9/10 someone around me will try and carry on round the outside from the left hand lane. 

Always get this on the way into work J1 M5. It tells you on the road what lane goes where and the lanes move to the left as they go passed the exits. Yet people cannot get it right. Its amazing really.

• Like 1

Always get this on the way into work J1 M5. It tells you on the road what lane goes where and the lanes move to the left as they go passed the exits. Yet people cannot get it right. Its amazing really.

People just don't do roundabouts properly, to add insult to injury the powers that be deem it necessary to put traffic lights on them, FFS what was a roundabout designed for?  Not to have traffic lights on thats for sure.

Speaking of Roundabouts, has any of you negotiated this weird set up in Swindon?

http://goo.gl/maps/ScKxZ

• Like 1

At night time with low or no traffic or day time in full traffic? My actions would be polar opposite depending on those variables.

Normal Day time hours = Courteous road user choosing the correct lane (Middle or Right) and sticking too it and keeping out an eye for people who are driving incorrectly and giving them plenty of room. :angel:

Nightime or when no other road users = Treat it like Maggots and Beckets' at Silverstone, clipping the apex and leaving rubber and smoke in my wake.  :devil:

• Like 2

What's the f*cking point of that!? 

No idea mate, I can assure you when you approach it for the first time and see cars going in all directions your backside starts making maltesers!  Zoom in on the google map so you have street view and walk around it. 

It's mad 

• Like 1

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=west+bromwich+m5&aq=&sll=52.010589,-0.739273&sspn=0.000883,0.002642&vpsrc=6&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=M5,+West+Bromwich,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.513048,-1.973784&spn=0.006986,0.021136&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=52.512974,-1.973824&panoid=DeC4DIZlE6RUw0BOZAAb9A&cbp=12,211.34,,0,11.97

Similar sort of set up, the amount of people who travel A41 to West Bromwich from the inside two lanes is staggering. 

The magic roundabout is obviously the brain-child of someone with ready access to crack. And not the one you poke. 

• Like 1

RDBTS were so much easier when they were just wide with no lane dividing lines or traffic lights, like the A41 west Brom rdbt the A13 or A12 M25 jcts are just as bad, I always get trapped in the wrong lane as nobody moves out one lane after passing an exit.

My personal favourite

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.125453,-1.143107&hl=en&ll=53.125457,-1.142983&spn=0.000103,0.084543&num=1&t=m&z=14&layer=c&cbll=53.125457,-1.142983&panoid=0qWO1HZijkIlvy8T5-Hx7Q&cbp=12,28.26,,0,20.28

Used to love this roundabout when I had my cliosports put quite a bit of Mitchelin Pilot exalto II rubber down on this bit of tarmac.

Best thing is no traffic lights if you stay on the roundabout you keep priority ;-)

This RDBT is near were I live, heading in the direction from the top of the screen down (from st helens towards M62) if you take a straight line you can fly through here in excess of the national speed limit, the good thing is you can see in all directions too incase any cars are going to be in your way.

In the other direction it is a horrid rdbt.

http://goo.gl/maps/e0lYF

Flat out then stab the clutch, light in the inside wheel up and smoke that bitch all the way around enjoying the terminal understeer.

No no nooooh!! you got it all wrong...approach left hand lane approx 40mph over the speed limit ragging the car in third as if to turn left but go straight on..run the first lights as they hit red then clip the inside kerb straightening the first corner, snatch forth over the bridge cut back to the outside lane, turn in early, drop back into third, scandanavian flick, then stab the clutch and wring the biatch round the corner with a sh!te load of lift off oversteer, nail it in  a terminal slapper roughly towards the exit..job done.

• Like 1

No no nooooh!! you got it all wrong...approach left hand lane approx 40mph over the speed limit ragging the car in third as if to turn left but go straight on..run the first lights as they hit red then clip the inside kerb straightening the first corner, snatch forth over the bridge cut back to the outside lane, turn in early, drop back into third, scandanavian flick, then stab the clutch and wring the biatch round the corner with a sh!te load of lift off oversteer, nail it in  a terminal slapper roughly towards the exit..job done.

I am pleased to tell you Mr Beefy that you have passed your driving test...  :giggle:

• Like 1

They obviously don't want people to go the way you want to.  The way the lanes are painted either people fly up your inside and then complain when you try and pull over, or you stay in your lane and they complain when you have to filter down to one lane as you come off.  No win situation really.

Another approach would be to buy a Honda Jazz and then make sure you straddle two lanes all the way round whilst either indicating left or right (having made your choice of indicator a good 1/2 mile before the roundabout) the whole way round regardless of your choice of exit.

• Like 2