re-map, 170 dsg and towing

Sorry, I can't help with the 170 bit, but DSG and caravans go together like fish'n'chips.  You might like to browse http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/230223-towing-with-the-dsg/ , especially #19 and later. 

You'll get some raised eyebrows about the 95%, though - that's a high figure.  Have you checked the car's max train weight? 

I towed with a 170 DSG and had no problems with a match of 95%. I think it would be even better with a "chip". I have now changed to a 170 DSG 4x4 so hope this will be even better at towing will find out in two weeks on our first holiday with the new car towing

Sorry, I can't help with the 170 bit, but DSG and caravans go together like fish'n'chips.  You might like to browse http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/230223-towing-with-the-dsg/ , especially #19 and later. 

You'll get some raised eyebrows about the 95%, though - that's a high figure.  Have you checked the car's max train weight? 

I used to get a few looks when towing with our other car, 1.9pd 130 sharan, tunit tuning box and towing a 620 TA Swift Challenger. Right up the point of them saying the usual like   "I bet that struggles to pull that". Which i replied with   "Cruise control set to 60mph, 5th gear and will pull all day, up hill and down dale, returning an average 28mpg or 48mpg solo"

Used to proper pe off the big 4x4 brigade when we sailed past them coming back over the Pennines. Also been to Aberdeen in winter at -14 and towed for over 4 years with no issues.

So towing at 95% is not an problem for me :happy:

I don't have a DSG but do have a 170bhp 4x4 manual estate. We took our Bailey caravan 1410Kg (85%) to Bordeaux a month ago and both performed really well. On the Hills I did have to drop it down to 5th on occasions but we were traveling at French limits. There were also a few times where we dropped down to 4th.

The outfit was really stable and was a pleasure to tow. So much so that we had planned to stop at Calais overnight on the way back but instead got a earlier train and drove straight home (18 hours)

We tow a 24foot 1500kg swift with our superb 4x4 170bhp estate with no issues at all, its awesome and it returns 29 to 31 mpg towing so cant complain. got talking to a chap with a 60 plate freelander at our last camp and he couldn't believe the towing capability of the superb 4x4.

• Like 1

Just obtained my Elegance 170 dsg 2009 with park assist 44000 mls to use as a long distance tow car mainly for Spain, will be leaving for the West Country from Norfolk  on Sunday towing a Baily Senator Vermont at 80 % most of the weighty kit will be in the tow car  will be a better test than driving in  Norfolk solo , will report back with regard to the driving experience,  

I have a rechipped my 140 4x4 and it is getting aroung 180bhp and 56 mpg, thoroughly recommend  http://www.unichipeurope.co.uk/   As it is a bolt on you buy it once and swap from car to car, just ordering a replacement  - 170 4x4 and this will be the 4th move, original cost c £400.  It is so smooth and so much more torque that yours will love to pull a caravan with it.

• Like 1

Just obtained my Elegance 170 dsg 2009 with park assist 44000 mls to use as a long distance tow car mainly for Spain, will be leaving for the West Country from Norfolk  on Sunday towing a Baily Senator Vermont at 80 % most of the weighty kit will be in the tow car  will be a better test than driving in  Norfolk solo , will report back with regard to the driving experience,  

Will the park assist know what to do with a 'van on the back?

• Like 1

Interesting topic!

Currently tow our 1400Kg 2012 Sterling with a 170 Yeti, but have ordered a 2014 Swift which is nearly 1500Kg so getting towards 100% of the Yetis kerbweight.  So have been thinking about a face lift Superb 170 4x4 DSG.  We do a lot of caravanning so it is good to hear other caravanners experiences.

Well used to the 170's capabilities as I towed with three Octavia vRS's prior to the Yeti.

• Like 1

Hi, as it says in the title. I am asking anyone had experience in re-maping a dsg 170 and used it for towing a caravan?

Ps, I will be towing at around 95% .

Thanks

Why bother re-mapping? The 170 has loads of power. I have a 170 DSG estate and tow a 1500kg Lunar and with 4 in the car (and none of us are lightweights), a full boot and 3 bikes on the roof. We are legal and within the gross train weight but there's not much left of the available total car weight. It pulls like a dream and is the best tow-car I've had. The DSG is just brilliant. Just done 3 weeks in Kent this August and got 26mpg both ways.

• Like 1