Starting to look at winter tyres...in August!

Hi

After a slight change in circumstance my wife now uses my 1.2 TSI 105 Elegance to commute 60 miles, mainly motorway driving, 5 days a week to work. As winter tyre season is coming up and for her and my car's safety I want to get some winter tyres and steel wheels.

As some winter tyres are still cheap I have started looking before the prices start going up. Not quite as cheap as I thought they could be!

Currently have 205/45/16's from new but have done some research recommending to stick to the standard 195/55/15's as they are cheaper so was going to get a steel rim and winter tyre package. This also keeps my standard alloys less attacked by salt and grit.

The best I can find at the moment are with 4 steel rims + 4 ContiWinterContact TS 850 (best result in Auto Express 2012 winter tyre test)

Oponeo - £484

Mytyres - £503.60

Can anyone do any better? Do Skoda offer winter tyre packages that are not a stupid price?

I have found some eBay barely used packages which are semi tempting but what exact size rims fit? (including central hole and offset)

All help and advice welcome, thanks in advance!!!

Openeo are great I have found.

Do not know what you summer tyres are like but the Skoda dealer should be able to do great prices on Full Size Spare Rim and tyre, think mine were only about £100 each or less and then have a pair ready with the winter tyres on and swap the other two tyres round just after putting the pair of winters on. Should be only at £400 doing it that way and you have a pair of steel rims effectively FOC and two good summer tyres, usually Contis.   

Bought my 195/55 R15 winters last month from Camskill; Skoda rims I have already. They are Uniroyal MS Plus 66 (part of the Continental group) and they cost £220 delivered.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m95b0s624p97643/Uniroyal_Tyres_Winter_Snow_Car_Uniroyal_MSPlus66_Uniroyal_MS_Plus_66_-_195_55_R15_85H_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_F_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

Skoda Fabia steel rims from Rainwoth Skoda (via ebay shop) £140 and they are generally better quality than the aftermarket rims.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SKODA-SET-FOUR-4-X-6J-X-15-STEEL-WINTER-WHEELS-6Q0601027M03C-/380704140407?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item58a3bc2c77

Local tyre fitters normally charge £30 - 40 for making up rims and tyres

So that's say £400

TP

Openeo are great I have found.

Do not know what you summer tyres are like but the Skoda dealer should be able to do great prices on Full Size Spare Rim and tyre, think mine were only about £100 each or less and then have a pair ready with the winter tyres on and swap the other two tyres round just after putting the pair of winters on. Should be only at £400 doing it that way and you have a pair of steel rims effectively FOC and two good summer tyres, usually Contis.   

I'm struggling to understand your post, but are you recommending putting on two winter tyres and two summer tyres?

Edited by Stevoraith

Bought my 195/55 R15 winters last month from Camskill; Skoda rims I have already. They are Uniroyal MS Plus 66 (part of the Continental group) and they cost £220 delivered.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m95b0s624p97643/Uniroyal_Tyres_Winter_Snow_Car_Uniroyal_MSPlus66_Uniroyal_MS_Plus_66_-_195_55_R15_85H_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_F_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

Skoda Fabia steel rims from Rainwoth Skoda (via ebay shop) £140 and they are generally better quality than the aftermarket rims.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SKODA-SET-FOUR-4-X-6J-X-15-STEEL-WINTER-WHEELS-6Q0601027M03C-/380704140407?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item58a3bc2c77

Local tyre fitters normally charge £30 - 40 for making up rims and tyres

So that's say £400

TP

Ha! And everyone I know thinks I'm mental for buying winter tyres in July. I bought the Uniroyals too, although 185/60/14 as I've a Fabia 1. Hawleys in Sheffield will make up the rims/tyres for £12 a wheel including balancing and a new valve.

I'm struggling to understand your post, but are you recommending putting on two winter tyres and two summer tyres?

No, no.  When the bad weather comes put on the pair of already prepared winter rim/tyres and take the other two winter tyre, not on rims, and get them swapped on the rear pair replacing the summer tyres so literally on a mile or two down to the tyre fitters.  All tyres a full size 205/40-17s and drive carefully,  Always try to have all four tyres same size and same make. 

• Like 1

Ok, thank goodness for that!

So what you are suggesting is that instead of buying four new rims and four new tyres he should buy two new rims and four new tyres.

Keep two winter tyres permenantly on the new rims and then swap the other new pair of winter tyres onto the summer rims every year.

And the advantage of that is it will save the cost of two new rims.

I think that is what you are saying?

If so, a few problems with that;

1- His car currently has alloys so he will be driving around in the winter with two alloys and two steels which will look daft.

2- He'd then have to buy all four tyres in the 16in size he currently has on his alloys instead of the cheaper 15in size he could buy if he buys 4 15in steels.

3- It'd cost £20-£30 twice a year to get the tyres swapped- very quickly eats into the saving you've made on wheels.

4- It's a lot more messing about than simply swapping to a complete new set of wheels and tyres!

Best bet is definitely to get some second hand steels or alloys and buy new tyres but I'm not sure about fitments for the mk2 Fabia, sorry.

I appreciate the fact that winter tyres are needed in places like Scandanavia, but are they really necessary in the south east of England for a few dicey days of road conditions versus the initial outlay?

I have never (touch wood) got stuck in snow. Always been careful, kept the braking to a minimum, kept off the gas, and never tried to stop unless its absolutely necessary. Like the time, I was behind an Xtrail that was spinning all over the place.

Vote here for the TS850's.  Had them on my vrs for last winter and found them brilliant.

195/55/15 with steel wheels for about 500 from Tyre Men.

Edited by Gumby

I appreciate the fact that winter tyres are needed in places like Scandanavia, but are they really necessary in the south east of England for a few dicey days of road conditions versus the initial outlay?

I have never (touch wood) got stuck in snow. Always been careful, kept the braking to a minimum, kept off the gas, and never tried to stop unless its absolutely necessary. Like the time, I was behind an Xtrail that was spinning all over the place.

Nope, winter tyres are not needed in this country really.  However, the Goodyear Eagles I just fitted to the Octavia are not needed either- Wanli ditchfinders would do, but I like to have the best traction I can to give me the best chance of avoiding hitting anything in that unforseen circumstance.

I've used winter tyres on both of my cars for a few years now.  They are not just for snow- far from it.  They claim to give better traction in all weathers as long as the temp is below about 7degC.

When fitted to my BMW a few years back they also got me to work on two days where the wifes summer-rubber-shod Fabia couldn't even get out of the street.  Two days of income just about covered the cost of them......

It's personal choice and those who don't fit them (especially in the south of England) won't be too inconvenienced by not having them, but I am prepared to spend money to give my car and my wifes car the best chance of staying on the road whatever the weather.

• Like 1

Nope, winter tyres are not needed in this country really.  However, the Goodyear Eagles I just fitted to the Octavia are not needed either- Wanli ditchfinders would do, but I like to have the best traction I can to give me the best chance of avoiding hitting anything in that unforseen circumstance.

I've used winter tyres on both of my cars for a few years now.  They are not just for snow- far from it.  They claim to give better traction in all weathers as long as the temp is below about 7degC.

When fitted to my BMW a few years back they also got me to work on two days where the wifes summer-rubber-shod Fabia couldn't even get out of the street.  Two days of income just about covered the cost of them......

It's personal choice and those who don't fit them (especially in the south of England) won't be too inconvenienced by not having them, but I am prepared to spend money to give my car and my wifes car the best chance of staying on the road whatever the weather.

Fair comment!

Toyo snow prox for me excellent winter tyre got a full set of four for about £280 (not including steel wheels)

Toyo's get a thumbs up from me too , just put mine in the for sale section if this helps, sold the Monte. They gave confidence on icy roads and good grip in the snow.

Its all down to preference with tyres.

Personally my last few car corsa,saxo, vectra etc all had steels with narrow wheels with budget tyres and tbh the cost of winter tyres out weighed the cost of the car lol. All them seem to manage ok with one a one or two problems in terms of control between then.

Now my monte with wide wheels and low profile tyres has easily been the worse car in terms of coping with snow (dont get me wroni wasn't expecting it to be brilliant but the conti sport contacts fitted don't have quite as much tread pattern as i had on the other cars so it was to be expected.

So id would love to have the winter tyres on my fabia and was going to do it this year, but now i use a van for work im really unsure wether this going to be worth the hassle as to be honest il travel to work in the van, if the snow gets that bad i wouldn't go out unless to try and go to work (residential estate here are never attended so its battle your way to a gritted main road lol). For this reason I'm inclined not to bother.

Back to the main question Skoda do tend offer winter tyres and do ask dealers to push it. But they tend to be a bit later then most to get there selfs sorted. They do offer contis if thats what your looking for, and from memory they cant competitive but i doubt they will be the cheapest.

...Back to the main question Skoda do tend offer winter tyres and do ask dealers to push it. But they tend to be a bit later then most to get there selfs sorted. They do offer contis if thats what your looking for, and from memory they cant competitive but i doubt they will be the cheapest.

Skoda UK and their dealers were very late getting involved with winters. Couldn't get any advice from them, having just bought my first Yeti back in the winter of 09. It was proving useless in snow with the oversized but standard 225/50 R17 summer W rated tyres. SUK customer services even suggested kwik-fit as a good place to get advice on such things :S

TP

Skoda UK and their dealers were very late getting involved with winters. Couldn't get any advice from them, having just bought my first Yeti back in the winter of 09. It was proving useless in snow with the oversized but standard 225/50 R17 summer W rated tyres. SUK customer services even suggested kwik-fit as a good place to get advice on such things :S

TP

They started pushing them in 2011, VWUK as whole where buying them in and supplying to dealers

For my vRs this winter I've got a set of 16" mk1 vRS wheels,so I will need a set of 205 /45/16 winter tyres.

Anyone seen any decent ones at a reasonable price?

the winter before last i had on ones marked 205/50R 16's on the vRS. But they were not actually that size, nearer to 205/45R 16

when measured side by side. Slightly taller than some brands of 205/40R 17's

(The cheap tyres i have on now marked M+S and 215/40R 17 are actually physically smaller than Pirelli 205/40R 17s)

Places should have their tyres coming in shortly.  Mine come from ATS Euromaster if in 24-48 hours if in the UK.

Showing stock at Mytyres.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk

http://www.camskill.co.uk

george

Anybody have any experience of Nexen Winguard. I'm thinking of using my new 16s for (Nexen?) winters (possibly selling the delivery miles 205/45 16 Contis) and getting some 17" Summers - either 205/40 or even 215/40 if anyone knows whether they fit.

For my vRs this winter I've got a set of 16" mk1 vRS wheels,so I will need a set of 205 /45/16 winter tyres.

Have a look at Hankook Winter Icept. The mk1 VRS tyre size is a tricky one to get decent winters for, when I did my research a couple of years ago these seemed one of the best choices available in that size, and they perform very well.

I've used Vredesteins for the last 5 winters and found them spot on. Reasonably quiet, the usual extra comfort but the trade off being slightly squidgier steering. Good in standing water, excellent on ice and snow. I have had both Snotracs and Extremes (the Extremes are better for higher speed cars)

If any one is in the Northwest, they should give Sheldons Tyres a ring (Manchester/Salford area) and do a spot of haggling. They have always matched any price for me and swapped tyres for free etc.

Edited by Lady Elanore

Have a look at Hankook Winter Icept. The mk1 VRS tyre size is a tricky one to get decent winters for, when I did my research a couple of years ago these seemed one of the best choices available in that size, and they perform very well.

Yes,Camskill list these at £75 each and if I can get them locally at a similar price I'll probably go for them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Winter-Snow-Tyres-Goodyear-Eagle-Ultra-Grip205-45-R16-/111163597457?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&fits=Tyre+Width%3A205|Aspect+Ratio%3A45|Diameter%3A16&hash=item19e1dde291

bargin! I have the goodyears on my 16's for winter ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Winter-Snow-Tyres-Goodyear-Eagle-Ultra-Grip205-45-R16-/111163597457?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&fits=Tyre+Width%3A205|Aspect+Ratio%3A45|Diameter%3A16&hash=item19e1dde291

bargin! I have the goodyears on my 16's for winter ;)

Collection only....and Aberdeen is a long way away for me!!!