Towing With a 1.2tsi?

Fairyvan

Hi

I am deliberating over choosing a 1.2 or the 'eco' 1.6 Diesel model. On balance, I would prefer the 1.2, but my concerns are causing consideration of the 1.6

I tow a very lightweight Elddis Wisp caravan max laden around 700kg, currently with a 1.6 Focus XL. I live in a hilly area and have some concerns A) as to the 1.2's ability to cope solo, and B) would it be capable of towing my little van once or twice a year? I know these modern engines are not to be compared with the old 1.2's and presumably Skoda wouldn't be putting a small capacity engine in if they didn't know it is adequate? I am hoping somebody on here may have some experience of towing with the 1.2?

Thanks for reading.

Sorry, I don't have experience of towing with the 1.2 - however the following may help. I have had the 1.2 as a courtesy car for the day and was impressed with it. It does seem to have plenty of power.

The kerbweight (with driver) for your car is 1340kg and maximum tow is 1200kg. If your van is as light as 700kg, towing will be no problem at all. I was under the impression that the Wisp was over 1000kg at its max weight. Could I respectfully suggest that you check the weight as it does seem very light? For example the Wisp from 1996 has a mass in running order of 850kg and a maximum laden mass of 1100kg. Apologies if yours is an older/smaller version. 

Having said that, 85% of 1340kg is 1140kg which is the advised maximum tow for your car so there should be no problem.

Thank you for your input about the 1.2. and also for your kind concern re my towing weight.

My little van is a 1991 model special edition. Mass running order is plated at 630kg which included an oven which I have taken out. The max plated weight is 780kg. As there is now only a cupboard in the oven space and I always put heavier items in my car, for example the awning, this is why I put it at 700kg or so.

As you rightly say, in theory I should not have a problem towing the weight with the Yeti 1.2 but theory and practice sometimes differ widely don't they?! I am pleased to know you were impressed with it's power, that is very helpful, thank you.

Could an owner of a 1.2 let us have the figures on the towing plate at the bottom of the driver's B post, please? We need confirmation that the vehicle has actually been Type Approved to tow.

Although the 1.2 Yeti does seem to be surprising many owners I think it might be worth your test driving one first.

The important weight for your van is it's max allowed weight, which should be on the A-frame or by the door, and which you state is 780kg. The fact that you have removed the oven doesn't affect that, just gives you a bigger load capacity.

Llanigraham, thank you, that info would indeed be very helpful. It does say in the spec 1200kg max braked towing weight. I know the max allowed caravan weight is the 780, I am extremely careful how I load my van, hence putting heavier items in the car. I shall of course test drive any model I am thinking of buying but, of course I am unlikely to find one I could try the van out on!

I spent ages on here last night reading many posts on a variety of subjects- a very useful forum.

Yes, you really need a test drive.

The 1.2tsi is a cracking little engine.

It's sprightly at lower speeds but does run out of puff as you go faster.

If you are not in a rush or climbing big hills it'll probably be fine.

Could an owner of a 1.2 let us have the figures on the towing plate at the bottom of the driver's B post, please? We need confirmation that the vehicle has actually been Type Approved to tow.

Not sure which of the numbers you require Graham or just what each one is without getting out the manual, so here are all the figures following the VIN for our 1.2 DSG Figures are:

1915 kg

3115 kg

1 - 1100 kg

2 - 1160 kg 

Then below a line on the plate

600 KG

Hope this helps though it is for a DSG 1.2.....................Tony

• Like 2

KERB WEIGHT:               1915 kg

MAX TRAIN WEIGHT:      3115 kg

FRONT AXLE LIMIT 1 -   1100 kg

REAR AXLE LIMIT 2 -     1160 kg 

UNBRAKED TRAILER MAX: 600 KG

Many thanks for your responses, very kind and helpful. I am about to talk with some dealers about the pro's and cons of the diesel greenline and the 1.2 tsi. Will let you know what the outcome is, I would love to hear views from anyone who tows with either. Apart from the towing issue and the hills round here, I need to look at the cost ratios. Regarding diesel fuel, my concern would be if it will continue to rise more rapidly than petrol and the gap between petrol and diesel prices could then outweigh the benefit of more mpg. I am going round in circles at the moment!

Another (and often forgotten) figure you have to consider is the max nose weight that is allowed.  Many cars are able to pull the weight of caravans but struggle to handle the nose weight placed on the towbar.  My Mk3 Mondeo had loads of power, and my caravan was under 75% of the weight of the car, but I had to move the gas bottles into the rear bathroom to get the nose weight under the allowed maximum for the car.  This was not great as weighty items are more stable over the axel.

Edited by CitigoAllen

A very good point about nose weight- as an experienced tower something I have a concern about too. I have just been in discussion with a dealer who knows the two models I am deliberating between.

He says about the 1.2 A) The Exmoor hills will not be a problem B)it will be more than capable of towing my little van C) The nose weight limit is 80kg (my nose weight is well under this at max 75kg). I find it surprising a 1.2 being up to this but unless his commission is higher on a petrol, have no reason to disbelieve what he is saying!!

Thank you Llanigraham so he is correct with that info! Am I correct then in thinking the vehicle build is the same across the range and the only variant being in Specs and engines? Weights are less in the manual petrol than the DSG and diesel models.

Nose weight is 80kg across the range.

Yes it is a pity that the Yeti has such a low nose weight limit (only 5KG better than the Mondeo).  My Bailey Ranger had a higher nose weight than 80KG  (about 95 if I remember) as delivered (minus any gas, or other belongings).  Nearly everything had to be loaded into the end bathroom to get the nose weight to 75Kg).

I wonder if the Greenline 1.6 diesel is type approved for towing? I was told that it couldn't even be supplied with a spare wheel as the additional weight would increase the emissions. :devil:

Fred

Yes it is a pity that the Yeti has such a low nose weight limit (only 5KG better than the Mondeo).  My Bailey Ranger had a higher nose weight than 80KG  (about 95 if I remember) as delivered (minus any gas, or other belongings).  Nearly everything had to be loaded into the end bathroom to get the nose weight to 75Kg).

I'm sure the nose weight on my Ranger 460/4 is 85kg, and I've had no problems getting it to that without moving anything back, other than our small porch awning sits more behind the axle than on it. It does help that the battery box is over the axle!

I know that it "might" be over what Skoda says but I suspect that my weight gauge might not be totally accurate. Certainly find that the 'van is stable even at French motorway speeds, and that just with the smaller Alko 1300 hitch. 

I wonder if the Greenline 1.6 diesel is type approved for towing? I was told that it couldn't even be supplied with a spare wheel as the additional weight would increase the emissions. :devil:

Fred

Fred,

I don't see why it shouldn't. The weight "thing" is the initial registered weight of the vehicle when first Type Approved, and it had to be below a certain weight so as to allow the weight/pollution ratio to be small enough to go into the lowest VED rate. What you fit to the car after you have bought it doesn't affect that figure, which is why you can go out and buy a spare yourself, or fit a tow bar.

Most cars that are not Type Approved for towing are because of a concern over capabilities, such as the Smart For2 or Vauxhall Adam, or for manufacturers vanity, such as the Fabia VrS or the Ford S-Max Sport.

The Greenline appeared in the towcar of the year competition a couple of years ago so it must be type approved.

Fairyvan .... glad you got the info you needed, thought you would more so than the CC website.

I will try and get a couple of test drives, problem is finding a dealer not too far away who has any in stock! Of my two nearest main Skoda dealers (both approx. 30 miles+ away) one is waiting on a 1.2 to come in and the other one... The Greenline seems to be as rare as hens teeth down here!

I hadn't realised it had been a Towcar of the Year- very interesting.

There is a good deal on line which I would attempt to get them to match, but I must try before I buy! This seems so popular I will have a wait anyway and they fly out as soon as they come into the dealers.

Dealers are pushing the finance deal with 3 years servicing - not sure of the value of having this as I can pay cash and would rather have a good discount. As I am sure you will all be aware the service interval on the deal is 12 monthly/ 10,000 miles and yet they told me with careful use, the intervals on variable could be as much as 20,000miles. So yet another decision to ponder!

What do you knowledgeable chaps think?

I have not towed with my Greenline,but with only a 5 speed gearbox it's first gear is relatively high (compared with the 6 speed on my previous Yeti.)

If fully loaded and/or up hill,it takes a fair bit of welly to get it moving from a standstill.

I suspect that the turbo 1.2TSI, with it's 6 speed gearbox ,would probably be better from a standstill if towing?

The Greenline Elegance is also about £1400 dearer than the 1.2TSI Elegance.

Fairyvan, re servicing:

What are your normal journeys? That can affect what servicing is most suitable.

I do a high daily mileage in my commute, along cross-country roads, so am on variable and find it tells me it needs going to the Doctors every 18k miles. (It will need going soon!!)

EDIT.

This thread would upset some non-Yeti owners from a thread elsewhere! :whew:

Llanigraham my journeys are variable, I live on Exmoor and my nearest shopping town is a 20 mile round trip, two or three times a week. Larger town once month 60 odd miles round trip, Moorland driving maybe 10-15miles 2 or three times a week and every 4-5 weeks motorway to Bucks or Essex to visit family. Alternate years 1500 miles round trip (towing) to North West Highlands and touring miles. Alternate years 200 miles or so Cornwall. What do you think? Would my profile suit variable services?

jbpraha

That is an interesting site. I couldn't put my Wisp in as it isn't listed (aged van) so I put in Elddis Explore which is most similar but max laden weight is 150kg more than mine. Matched with the 1.2 petrol it says basically it is a good match weight percentage wise, stable outfit , adequate performance. We then get to the 1.6tdi diesel, same remarks apart from performance, this would be a 'lively outfit' with 5 stars for nearly everything. This was not based on the Greenline as it wasn't listed but standard diesel- don't know if that would make a difference.

I am thinking the diesel 1.6 may well manage the hills here better when fully loaded etc.

bilun77

Correct me if I am wrong, but are you saying maybe the petrol 1.2 is livelier than your Greenline? Theoretically, I would have thought the 1.6 would have more 'go' but I am quite confused! :) It is years since I have driven a diesel and they could be quite sluggish, but I thought now they were more lively. Could it be in making this model 'eco' it has lost some of it's 'poke'? As you may guess I am female, of mature years and not technical!!:) I think one of my worries with the smaller engine is it's longevity in the area where I live.

Are you pleased with most aspects of your Greenline?