Nokia Lumia 925 or Blackberry Z10 Which one?

justinbarrow

The wife recently got one of the Nokia Lumia windows phone and I found it ran very smooth and was more responsive than the android system. I am also looking at the blackberry Z10 and wanted to ask if anyone here has had experience of any of the two handsets.

I'm not bothered about apps and games - all I want is to be able to easily sync across different mail platforms and take some decent images.

Thanks for any advice :)

925 has a very good camera in it by all accounts, and excellent sycn for hotmail/live for email, documents, calendar, contacts etc.

I have a much cheaper Ascend W1 (and previously a WP7.5/7.8) device.  I am more than happy that the documents on my PC sync up to Skydrive, and I can access them at the touch of a button the phone, make changes and for them to sync back.

Decent pop3/imap & exchange support too.

Go for the Nokia.  While Windows may fall far behind iOS and Android in terms of popularity it is still a healthier system than BlackBerry.  IMHO in terms of quality Windows is the best mobile OS, follows by iOS.  However in terms of apps it falls far behind, but you have stated that you are not too worried about apps.  The Nokia is a great phone, and is on my shopping list.  I am due a chnag ein late October and unless the new iPhone has a decent sized screen it will be a Nokia Windows phone for me.  I can't stand Android (sorry fan bots).

Blackberry! Yuck!

Think Blackberry have lost it really... they have been far too behind for far too long.

Do you still need an "add-on" just to be able to use email, facebook etc on a blackberry?!

Phil

RIM is not in a good place right now.

Probably best not to be on a dying platform. Saying that support for WP7.5 and WP8 doesn't go that far into the future either. I think WP8 support ends in 2015 which might be something to consider if you're looking at 24month contracts.

RIM is not in a good place right now.

Probably best not to be on a dying platform. Saying that support for WP7.5 and WP8 doesn't go that far into the future either. I think WP8 support ends in 2015 which might be something to consider if you're looking at 24month contracts.

I suspect that by 2015, WP8 will have been upgraded (and work on current WP8 hardware, with free OTA updates - such as WP7.5 -> WP7.8, etc) and that the support for that version will continue further into the future.

However in 2 years time, technology will have push on and the phone will seem like old tat by then ;-)

Nokia all the way mater. The review on the Lumia 925 is really positive. Its not long before Blackberry go under so there wont be much support for the phone. Nokia have just sold there phone division to MS...

Well I went for the Nokia Windows Phone, and I am amazed at the quality of the camera it has a pro cam app that makes taking pictures better as you can manually adjust settings and its great in low light, It is much better than my Sony Xperia Z camera and that was a 13m camera compared to the lumias 8.7m.

I am glad I didn't go with the blackberry as it does look like they are struggling at the moment. The only thing I have noticed is that each photo seems to be around 5mb in size which I thought was on the large size but then again the quality is brilliant.

Looked on line and there is a lot of slating going on about Nokia saying this time in 5 years Nokia will not be around which I don't think is the case, The operating system is much more smoother than what I have experienced with android and now Microsoft have bought Nokia they now own the hardware and software side of things, bit like Apple and IOS their system is specifically made for their hardware.

All in all very pleased - Thanks.

I'm so impressed with my Nokia 920, the camera is flawless to a degree apart from the focus sometimes sticking. Hopefully they had resolved that in the 925! 

Syncing it with Hotmail, facebook, anything really is a dream. Just a little annoying that you sometimes want to know or change something and you can't or the app doesn't exist yet. 

All in all, I'm really happy. I love apple too, but for the phone the Nokia is a dream to use. 

they have improved on the focusing with the 925 from the 920. I had that exact problem with focus 'sticking' on the 920. haven't had it happen with the 925!

did Nokia repair it for you? 

To use phones in government for some purposes they have to hold approval from government bodies like NIST, CIA, CESG (GCHQ). It costs a fortune to do them so few do. Blackberry did all this for years and so picked up loads of business for supplying secure phones for government.

Samsung has the scent of death from BB and is doing work with Governments to get security approval for their KNOX technology. Quite a few of the american bodies have approved it. So no need to deal with the hassel of Blackberry.

For years users and administrators have hated BB but the lack of Government approval with anything else kept them in business. Not any more.

Apple were offered help from the security services to make iOS more secure but said no.

Edited by Aspman

Windows phone does not support RSAP

However it links with the superb Bluetooth fine for calls and music streaming.

You will also have to accept occasional changes Microsoft make without your consent, like the last update that changed all the ring tones and removed the old so you cant easily go back. (normal Microsoft windows attitude)

Also there is only one volume level for ring tone alerts and music, there is no fast way of going silent and no vibrate.

There is (despite what you may read) no way of getting the phone to announce the name of the caller unless you live in america. or pretend you do and have your dictionary etc set to american.

These niggles aside I think it is a very good phone let down my microsofts involvement.

did Nokia repair it for you? 

Nup, ended up selling the phone and its been fine for my mate. maybe it was user error for me :p

Windows phone does not support RSAP

However it links with the superb Bluetooth fine for calls and music streaming.

You will also have to accept occasional changes Microsoft make without your consent, like the last update that changed all the ring tones and removed the old so you cant easily go back. (normal Microsoft windows attitude)

Also there is only one volume level for ring tone alerts and music, there is no fast way of going silent and no vibrate.

the god of phones, the iPhone (sarcasm) also doesn't support RSAP. only some android based phones.

That update wasn't an MS upgrade, it was manufacturer based.

its quite easy to change to ring modes. on the lock screen (EDIT: any screen actually), click the volume button and touch the icon on the top right of the screen to switch between vibrate and ring+vibrate.

Edited by zei20t
  • Like 1

"its quite easy to change to ring modes. on the lock screen (EDIT: any screen actually), click the volume button and touch the icon on the top right of the screen to switch between vibrate and ring+vibrate."

But no third option ..don't ring don't vibrate! (yes it can be done but the option should be there.Its a very basic requirement.

It may be quite easy or extremely easy to change the ringtones, but I didn't want to..that was my point.