A future Classic?

Llanigraham

Interesting conversation with someone earlier today.

He is "into" modern Classic cars and has an early MX5 and a 1.6 Pug 205 Gti, both immaculate (and hardly ever driven) and he was off the opinion that the current model of the Yeti could well become such.

And he's after an unmolested Mk1 Golf Driver.

He will have a quest to find an unmolested Golf MK i Driver, they seem as rare as hens teeth now, even the MK ii is hard to find, there is a prime example at the garage where my MK iv is, the guy has had it from new in 1989, he decided to freshen it up and is 8 months in now, bodywork is done, interior is to do and the engine is now a 2.0 Turbo G60 engine, so no longer unmolested!

As for the Yeti being a classic, not sure, it does have some high accolades, with reliability etc, maybe buy an early one and store it in your garage until 2050.  :happy:

Wonder if your acquaintance will be looking for a Yeti Mk 1 series 1 Special Build in 20 years’ time, be more difficult to find than the Driver I would think :rofl:

Cars are getting all to complex and expensive to maintain over a prolonged period of time these days, that's why I like the Fabia; nice and simple particularly the HTP base model my lad owns.

TP

You are right there TP, I was at Oulton Park at the weekend for HSCC Gold Cup, they run a series called the Derek Bell Trophy, it is all the cars Bell has raced over the years in one race, one of the cars is a big V8 5.7 litre Viceroy, pure brute power with simple engineering to boot, eight bog carbs too, set with screw drivers, a good ear and a sense of smell.

Further down the paddock, 1980's touring cars, those guys have a few tools and a laptop!

In thirty years, do you think there will be a historic F1 series using todays cars then? I don't think so because of the complexity of it all.

• Like 1

An interesting thought!  I'd had sort of parallel thoughts myself, prompted by all the discussion about the FL Yeti and the apparent loss of the big fogs. Years ago, there was the frog-eyed Austin-Healey Sprite.  I don't know how long it was manufactured in that state, but it was eventually rolled up with its BM (I think, by then?) cousin the MG Midget into the corporate styling, nicknamed the 'Spridget'.

Both versions remain - but it's the occasional idiosyncratic frog-eyed Sprite that still catches the eye.  Will the Mk.1 Yeti be as fondly remembered? 

Interesting topic. I don't have sufficient knowledge or experience on how a vehicle becomes a classic, however I'm regularly asked by people of my opinion about the Yeti. Today was the most recent incident. In my 39 years of driving and having owned 20 vehicles, nobody has ever stopped me in the street and asked me how my previous vehicles performed. People are still inquisitive about the Yeti but may be still reluctant to buy one because of the old Skoda image. Things now look good for Skoda and it's probably been the introduction of the Yeti that has generated the most interest in the brand. In view of this, there could be the potential for the snow monster to be a modern classic. Only time will tell!

• Like 1

An interesting thought!  I'd had sort of parallel thoughts myself, prompted by all the discussion about the FL Yeti and the apparent loss of the big fogs. Years ago, there was the frog-eyed Austin-Healey Sprite.  I don't know how long it was manufactured in that state, but it was eventually rolled up with its BM (I think, by then?) cousin the MG Midget into the corporate styling, nicknamed the 'Spridget'.

Both versions remain - but it's the occasional idiosyncratic frog-eyed Sprite that still catches the eye.  Will the Mk.1 Yeti be as fondly remembered? 

I had a similar conversation with a driver of a Sprite, and mentioned in another thread and he felt some of the character of the Sprite had been lost when the lights were lost. I'm reserving judgement until I can see both Yetis side by side.

I do agree with earlier comments that it will be hard to keep them running long enough to be classics, particularly with so much reliance on the electronics.

Interesting conversation with someone earlier today.

He is "into" modern Classic cars and has an early MX5 and a 1.6 Pug 205 Gti, both immaculate (and hardly ever driven) and he was off the opinion that the current model of the Yeti could well become such.

And he's after an unmolested Mk1 Golf Driver.

Funny as it may sound, but I think life is playing games with us all the time. When I first laid eyes on the Yeti (talking about the current model, not the FL) back in 2010, I fell in love with it straight away. Love at first sight one can say. Later that year I was contemplating which car should I go for when the time comes. Now it doesnt take to be a rocket scientist to figure which one was it. Everyone knew it and everyone were expecting from me just to announce the "wedding". Yet as we all know, life aint something you can always plan or take for granded so the so called "wedding" had to be postponed for 2-3 years and here we come to ... present time. So finally the "announcement" was made, the "auths" were given and here I am the day after the "ceremony" at my dealers' talking with a close friend who asked me what was it with me and this car. I mean we all know when we like something really but there is always something more profound, hidden even from our perception in the beginning sometimes. So after talking to him about how I first saw those eyes (fog lights) and that boxy shaped line, and ... and... and... suddenly I stopped right there and told him what all those years was eluding me... that I believed deep inside me that this car one day would be considered a true landmark. I didn't really know where that came from, nor do I know now exactly, but like I said, it seems life is full of playing funny games, isn't it? Anyway, maybe it will or maybe it won't. I'm no car expert or have any power into foreseeing the future of anything, nevermind a car model. Only time will tell but for me it's not just a car model. It's still... love at first sight!

• Like 1

the engine is now a 2.0 Turbo G60 engine, so no longer unmolested!

G60 lump - supercharged, not turbo'ed

Had a G60 Corrado, now that was a beast, should have been badged Porsche and i think it would have been longer lived production wise!!