1.8 TSI engine noise

Looking for a bigger car for my wife, so since my own octy has served me well, I'm considering another for her.

It'll be a short journey low mileage use, so not keen on diesels with dpfs etc.

The 1.8 seems a possibility, with Good reviews.

One thing that concerns me is the reports of the engine being busy, whilst others say it's silent.

Other than that, I'm familiar with other issues to look for.

Is there any years to avoid on the 1.8TSI?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

The TSI is a very quiet unit

In my car Its almost silent  on idle

IMHO The Octavia TDI`s we have at work are like tractors in comaprison

In a way it is like two or three different cars in one. When pootling around it is quiet and inoffensive. When you need a bit of push it begins to speak out. When you really boot it, it is like a rocket taking off - what a very nice toy!!!

Edited by ednmra

Love my one. So silent....tick over is perfect until you open up those valves and then the beast arrives....Though i do have the 2010 vRS 2.0tsi :devil: ....I have no clue about the diesels.....and with regards to DPF, that are so many forums with people for and against it.....just like the iphone and windows phone fight...... :rock:

The 1.8TSI is, in my opinion, the best engine in the Octavia.  I've has three oil burners and still got one but the TSI is lighter, quieter and vibration-free.  Performance is great when needed and economy is excellent.  We use our oil burner for longer runs and the TSI for short and longer runs - there is not a lot of difference in the mpg figures.

With the bonnet up It wont be that silent...

All engines make some noises its inherent with all those moving parts

sit inside with doors closed and you will experience for yourself

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I guess when I get a chance to view one, if its not silent when the bonnets up, I'll just walk away.

It will be silent with the bonnet up....as long ad you don't switch it on! :) I can hear it in my TSI when stood by rhw bonnet and its on but sat in the car at idle its so quiet. When I first picked it up I thought I'd stalled it at two sets of traffic lights! Nope just reallllly quiet

• Like 2

Mine is also very quiet.  When I first got it the Mrs was driving it and stopped at the traffic lights and said "oh, has this got stop start?"  nope, you just can't hear or feel the engine because it is so quiet and smooth...

• Like 1

Well the first car I looked at today sounded promising.

57 plate L&K with just under 60k, full dealer history etc.

Looked a clean car, but walked away.

Have a paint thickness gauge, so took it with me.

Print readings on my car and a few other Octys / vag cars are 120-160 microns.

This one was reading 250-300 mostly with the rear quarter just over the 300 mark. The bonnet and inner sills etc were all ok.

Never looked at the L&K before. Have to say a lovely interior with the piano black trim and leather / alcantara.

Depends on how much it was?

L&K do offer leather facings (although how good is it??)

Plus a few extras but are they really worth that much more over the Elegance?

Just my opinion as there are so very few 1.8 Tsi and even fewer  L&K around