63 plate mk2 FL VRS

advice required please

currently drive 60 plate 2.0T VRS h/b ... coming to the end of pcp contract

been down to dealer to look at new vrs .. and sorry to say not impressed

so was going to have to do Plan B and look somewhere else ... but while looking for something else have come across dealer who has 2 pre reg 63 plates VRS estates 1 x pet , 1 x diesel .... would these be a good buy .. think they looking around 18k for them

If you don't like the new vrs but you still like the mk2 then I would get the mk2. £18k isn't too bad for a pre-reg mk2 but I recon you could get it for less since the mk3 has just come out especially if its the petrol one you are looking at because they seem to stick round the longest on the forcourt (unless its yellow). What options do they have if any?

You will pay less for the mk2 but remember that when you come to sell it it will be worth less as well - which will also affect your pcp payments if that is how you wish to pay for the car.

Many share your feelings about the MKIII David, especially those with a late plate MKII vRS. Sorry stu, but 1 year old second hand Blacklines are going for £18k plus- there's a Hatch DSG one in Coventry with 6k on the clock and the dealer wants 18,995! so 18k for a 63 plate estate sounds like a reasonable price to me as you'll get the 3 years warrenty too. Wonder where they've been hiding those!

I don't know what peeps are paying for their MKIII's but it'll be a fair bit more than £18k.

A 63 plate mkIII race blue estate parked in the next parking spot in the next row to me a halfords on Monday so our front offsides were within a couple of feet of each other. it had the black pack and dark alloys and I had a good look round it and wouldn't have done a swap

Are they factory standard with no options?

You'll get better residuals with the wiesel and lower running costs too is that's an important factor. The Leon FR is cheaper than the mkIII but may be too small?

As an indication my dealer reconed he'd give me over £10k part ex at 3 years if mines reasonably low milage. HTH

• Like 1

Flippin heck I didn't realise that blacklines were selling for more than they were originally sold for a year ago. I'll get more than I expected when I get rid of mine in the next few months since its doing my noggin in so much with all of its faults. I wasn't saying that it was a bad deal (it is quite a good deal) on the pre-reg's just that I would imagine that you could push the price of them down even more especially on the petrol and reminding the OP that the mk2 will be worth substantially less than a mk3 (I'd imagine) when he comes to sell.

I certainly agree the mkII will be worth less come trade in mate, but David will save a load up front so it may well be swings and roundabouts and as he's uninspired by the mkIII  then it's an option at least worth considering. I was surprised too, though think some of this may well be about timing- get rid of your hatch before Jan next year and you'll probably get more than after as the mkIII hatches will start coming through. I used the configurator and to get the bits on the Blackline a mkIII manual hatch was over 25k list. granted there were other things the mkIII has as standard the BL doesn't have but I was shocked at the cost of the 'extras'TBH, which will be worth little or nothing on trade in.

for those that have taken the plunge enjoy your mkIIIs...

• Like 1

If you don't like the new vrs but you still like the mk2 then I would get the mk2. £18k isn't too bad for a pre-reg mk2 but I recon you could get it for less since the mk3 has just come out especially if its the petrol one you are looking at because they seem to stick round the longest on the forcourt (unless its yellow). What options do they have if any?

You will pay less for the mk2 but remember that when you come to sell it it will be worth less as well - which will also affect your pcp payments if that is how you wish to pay for the car.

I think 18k is pretty good for a pre-reg MK2 TBF. I had my white 62 Blackline DSG estate valued a couple of months ago with about 6k on the clock at nearly 17k trade (which I guess on the flipside would be considered more desirable than a standard normal car) so would have easily gone up for 18 and a bit.

If buying on PCP etc there may be debate as you'll not get 0% finance on a MK2 and expect the GFV will be a fair bit lower, in terms of monthly cost there may not be much to choose between them.

Id probably suggest if youre paying cash and looking to keep the car a good long while VFM wise the MK2 is likely the better bet but if buying on PCP get the sums done and see how they compare.

• Like 1

thanks for all comments , it is a std spc vrs estate ... and i would be looking at pcp again ..the only choice is if i go for petrol or diesel as they have a choice of each with about £300 difference, only concern i only do about 10k a year and a lot of it is between villages doing school runs , then a burn up down the M5 at the end of each month to see the parents and i know there is a issue with DPF filters blocking up

If it helps mine has only 27k on the clock and is 4 years old at the end of the year.

No dpf issues to date on mine.

I'm almost banned (joking) in the mk3 section for my dislike of the mk3. Well no not true I actually really like it but I dislike the price same spec as my current mk2 is a massive 30k without discount!

I like skoda but not 30k's much.

thanks for all comments , it is a std spc vrs estate ... and i would be looking at pcp again ..the only choice is if i go for petrol or diesel as they have a choice of each with about £300 difference, only concern i only do about 10k a year and a lot of it is between villages doing school runs , then a burn up down the M5 at the end of each month to see the parents and i know there is a issue with DPF filters blocking up

it'll be fine. I've only done 5k so far with similar routes to you and I've only noticed 3passive regens. the dpf should be good for over 100k so don't worry! As above the PD engine had dpf issues, because it was not desinged to work with a dpf but the cr is and unless you're doing short stop start journeys at low speed you shouldn't have any probs.

Auric forgot to say the tsi burns cash too LOL.

your decision mate, i'm sure you'll enjoy either. A test drive in both should make your mind up....

Tsi is fond off the oil too lol

Absolute tosh, however enjoy always having to worry about your DPF's/ regens and all the rest :-)

Me I will thrash and drink fuel because I drive to put a smile on my face not save a £1 !

My tsi didn't use any oil between sevices, my previous tfsi did however. CRs do suffer from dpf issues (mine did) but not to the same extent as the pd.

I have looked at the two vrs's in question. and personally i think they are great value for money. they are certainly alot cheaper than a new model, and the colour is deffinatly the best for that car.

oh, and go for the petrol. its a sports car!! not a greenline

In the 18 months I've had my Tsi Vrs the only oil thats gone in has been put in by the Garage when serviced.

Mine doesn't use oil

I've had mine 2 1/2 years again the only time oils been added is by the garage at service time