1.8 TSI SE 4x4 or 2.0 TDI CR 170PS Elegance 4x4

I was keen on a 1.8 TSI SE 4x4 manual but have found an even better deal on a 2.0 TDI CR 170PS Elegance 4x4 manual. Help.

Similar age and mileage.

Diesel is £3k more but according to parkers guide its way lower than book price.

Looks like depreciation from these prices will be similar over the next 3 years.

I only do about 11k miles a year.

I keep my cars until they start giving me problems usually 120k miles or 10-11 years old.

I service them myself as I've never found a garage I can trust.

The 1.8 has a timing chain unlike the diesel which needs a 4 year belt change.

The Elegance has sat nav which I don't need and could possibly be problematic and prove expensive to repair.

The diesel could have potential DMF issues at higher mileage.

The diesel will be £100 less to tax a year and will save £500 of fuel. (35 vs 45 mpg roughly)

I'm hoping to drive both this weekend and that might make my mind up but I would like to hear your views.

Also, one is Petrol Blue and the other is Cappuccino so that might be the decider!

The 1.8 TSi is a peach of an engine. Very well respected on here.

I'd have a petrol everytime but my mileage forces me into a diesel.

11,000 miles per year? I'd go petrol.

Cappccino = beige so not for me, but we all have different tastes!

The Elegance (in addition to the sat nav you already mentioned) also gets the 18" Thermisto alloy wheels (compared with the 17" Triffid) and the fantastic bi-xenon headlights with cornering function, fully heated and electrically adjustable seats etc. so it would be a tough choice for me as I like my toys!

I do quite a low mileage and I wish I had gone for a petrol Superb. Don't get me wrong, I love the 170 cr engine in the car but if I was keeping the car more than the 3 years which I intend I would start to worry about the DPF due to the amount of short journeys I do.

I must agree that petrol blue is a great colour.

I am delighted with my petrol blue 1.8TSi estate. I do about 10000 miles a year and the dealer recommended petrol because of short journeys. Very quiet and smooth. Was much cheaper than diesel because of the "VAT free" offer only available on petrol estates.