1.6 TDI - hoping for better mpg

Hi.

I am a potential first time Octavia buyer.

Was closing in on a 1.6 TDI CR SE, but was somewhat taken aback to read from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/skoda/10096340/2013-Skoda-Octavia-review.html

"Economy is quoted 74.3mpg in the Combined cycle and we're not sure by what fantasy cycle that is obtained, because we could only achieve a little more than 50mpg over 700 gently driven miles."

What do (economy minded) 1.6 TDI owners get in practice?

I wouldn't really expect 74mpg, but I would like to think 65+mpg should be readily achievable.

50mpg sounds really poor and would send me elsewhere.
I currently get 53mpg in a 8 year old 2L Mondeo.

Thanks in advance for your info.

I had a 1.6 Greenline 1 and driven as hard as I could that car would not go under 60mpg. Taking it gently it would do very high 60s. 65mpg was very achievable, I imagine the newer engines are even more economical. It's an outstanding engine.

Hi.

I am a potential first time Octavia buyer.

Was closing in on a 1.6 TDI CR SE, but was somewhat taken aback to read from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/skoda/10096340/2013-Skoda-Octavia-review.html

"Economy is quoted 74.3mpg in the Combined cycle and we're not sure by what fantasy cycle that is obtained, because we could only achieve a little more than 50mpg over 700 gently driven miles."

What do (economy minded) 1.6 TDI owners get in practice?

I wouldn't really expect 74mpg, but I would like to think 65+mpg should be readily achievable.

50mpg sounds really poor and would send me elsewhere.

I currently get 53mpg in a 8 year old 2L Mondeo.

Thanks in advance for your info.

50 MPG is what my trip computer is showing, I did 900 miles in my car (60% city - 40% motor way traffic). I am not a boy racer, took the car to the dealer and they advised me to give it more run-in and see.

My MK2 Greenline used to give me 65mpg. If i were you i would rather go for 2L. My friend has a 2L MKIII elegance and he is getting almost 55-60mpg.

Edited by dellfan

I drive mine pretty gently and I am struggling to get more than about 55mpg (real world not trip computer). I am finding it more economical trying to keep speed up above 70 than around 60. Hills destroy the economy completely. That is mixed driving and most of the longer motorway journeys are 4 people with luggage and aircon on.

It really depends on driving style and type of roads. For example, my driving is 80% motorway/A-roads and based on 60-65mph on longer runs I have been able to achieve an average of 64.6mpg. This compares favourably against the 57.2mpg achieved in my 1.9Tdi Superb.

The Octavia is a little lighter than the Superb, therefore, it should be more economical.

If I was selecting another 1.6Tdi engined Skoda, I'd definitely have it remapped. This should give a more relaxing drive and am mpg improvement if driven sensibly. 

I agree, hills and passengers/luggage will have an adverse effect on the fuel consumption. In this case, the larger 2.0Tdi engine is a better choice. 

My old MK6 Golf GT 2.0 TDi 140 used to get mid late 50's, occasionally over 60 and that had none of the Bluemotion Tech gubbins on it.

My Octavia CR 170 DSG is nothing like as good, on a long run 45-46 is about average but getting 50mpg out of it is v hard work.

A 1.6, particularly a MK3 with its lower weight and stop/start should and would easily be able to achieve 60+ mpg though i'd suggest if you do alot of higher speed motorway work or plan on towing at any point the 2.0 TDi is probably the better bet.

Edited by pipsyp

I have a 1.6 Greenline Superb and have done 47,000 in the last 12 months in it with a good mix of Motorway and A and B roads.

I usually get 56-58 on the trip computer and I drive it hard 99% of the time.

If I take it steady I can see 60 plus but that's not very often.

Have a look at my Fuelly stats for my 150CR, there are about 8 other OctyIIIs also on Fuelly and I am getting better returns than all of them including several 105CRs, so if you can afford the upgrade, 150CR gives you more flexibility with no loss of economy.

• Like 1

I think the problem is caused by a miscalculation. It is written in the official brochure - https://tools.skoda.co.uk/brochure_newoctavia.pdf - that the combined fuel consumption is 74.3 mpg which equals 3.8 liters/100 kilometers. The same digit (3.8) can be found in the continental brochures so that could be the right number. 74.3 mpg is only 3.18 liters/100 kilometers (check here: http://calculator-converter.com/l_100km_mpg_convert_mpg_to_l_per_100_km.php) so the 3.8 liters/100 km is 61.9 mpg. This should be the official combined consumption and the costumers won't be disappointed.

Pretty sure that's a USA gallon rather than UK, so the claimed mpg is correct

Oops! You're totally right. There is a grounded reason to be disapponted at the real figures then.

I have a 2 year old 1.6TDCi Econetic Focus. That's supposed to do up to 83mpg !!

My fuel computer has been stuck bang on 50.0mpg now for 18 months and that's regardless of racing about or driving carefully.

You will never achieve manufacturers quoted figures as there are too many variables but I would certainly expect the mpg to increase when a few thousand miles are on the car.

Pretty sure that's a USA gallon rather than UK, so the claimed mpg is correct

Why is it US gallon?

1US gal = 3.7854L

1UK gal = 4.5461L

Use the same mile per litre, US gallon will do less miles than UK gallon. I understand the question is why the published mpg is higher than the real figure.

G

See my Fuelly stats (in my signature) for my Greenline II,  It seems from other threads the 1.6TDI can give strange MPG for certain people.  Not sure whether it's the engine or how it's been driven, Averaging 66mpg at the moment. Best ever 89mpg  (slow steady 37mile motorway journey) and worst about 55mpg (25mile stop/start traffic twisty back roads ).