Video Suzuki Jimny vs Land Rover Defender.

Ootohere

Morning Lady Eleanor, I am looking to replace my current Octy Scout for a Vitara 1.4S, can you recommend a suitable forum?

I have tried a few, but they seem mostly to be concerned with the previous generation.

Many thanks.

Fin

Morning Lady Eleanor, I am looking to replace my current Octy Scout for a Vitara 1.4S, can you recommend a suitable forum?

I have tried a few, but they seem mostly to be concerned with the previous generation.

Many thanks.

Fin

There is a new Vitara forum opened up recently. It's struggling to get going, but it has picked up the pace a little in the last couple of months. I'm on there as Geordie Amanda

New Vitara Forum

Of course there are the usual Suzuki and Suzuki 4x4 forums (although the later don't really count the new Vitara 4x4 as a proper off roader-reasonable I guess)

Edited by Lady Elanore

There is a new Vitara forum opened up recently. It's struggling to get going, but it has picked up the pace a little in the last couple of months. I'm on there as Geordie Amanda

New Vitara Forum

Many thanks, this ìs exactly what I was looking for.

Fin

• 9 months later...

Sitting waiting on my Jimny pickup getting it's MOT done. Now 18 years old and I would be hard pushed to find much on her that was there when she was first built.  So only 591 miles covered since last year's MOT.  Never gets more than 20 miles out of a gallon of petrol but a cherished possession.  

EDIT.

Pass. 

Last year 28,034 miles.

This year 28,625 miles.

As they were in 1998 & the metal work / body still is the same in 2017.

su_671.jpg

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

I see 'Official Leaked pictures' are in articles showing the supposed 2018 Suzuki Jimny.

Hoping to get one when available in the UK even if they are as fugly as the articles show, just as long as they are as capable as the current ones.

I paid over £11,000 in 2003 for a New Jimny Automatic and today a new one is £14,290.60 pence.  (at a guess, approx...)

Those Japaneses like a laugh...

2018_suzuki_jimny_concept_02.jpg

2017suzuki01071.jpg

SuzukiJimny12_1.jpg

Edited by Awayoffski

• 5 months later...

Happy as Larry that my Jimny has another 12 month MOT.

Only driven it for 510 miles since last years test.

First registered March 1999, & has done 29,135 miles.  

(well bits of it have.)

Looking forward with hopes and dreams that the new Jimny will be as good as the current one & will not be too expensive 

or i will be buying one of the last ones being built still.

Orange Jimny Interior Aug 2015 015.JPG

Orange Jimny Interior Aug 2015 016.JPG

DSCN3850.JPG

DSCN3847.JPG

DSCN0064.JPG

DSCN0066.JPG

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Looks very much as the leaked pictures from a long time back, and the bonnet and general design very much like a SJ / Samurai Suzuki. 

Really surprised if that meets the standards required these days for Type Approval for crash protection of vehicle occupants and humans that might be hit by the front of one, but then not that different from a Jeep Renegade that obviously was allowed Type Approval.

hopefully if it is like that there will be wheel arch extensions still to be added

Edited by Offski

If the new one can be Tonka-fied to look a bit more like that 89 ~samurai or really like a Mini AMG  G-Wagon it'll be really smart and more importantly a bit different.

Good work Suzuki

Hopefully available for delivery in November 2019 when i will have the cash money ready to buy one as a keeper.

Just needs to be as it should be after all these years they have had to get it perfect.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I sort of like the retro Jimny look, although i think they could have dared to move away from the mini G Wagon look a little. Mind you they probably don't want to step on the toes of the Ignis with too much of a modern appearance (I realise they are very different cars, but many buyers probably won't care about that). I've driven an Ignis and thought it was a likable super mini  :) 

Much more a Jeep Wrangler 3 door look.  The Jeep & Suzuki grill slots go back before there were G-Wagons.

Suzuki length and wheelbases match Land Rover lengths & wheelbases that they had when a Land Rover was a land rover and rear wheel drive and part time 4x4, or some full time AWD..

Edited by Offski

It was the squareness of the arches and bluff angles that seemed more in line with the G wagons. Lots of little things conspire to produce a Mercedes GlendaJackson mini-me in my eyes. I remember going for a test drive (as a passenger) in an early 280 and was amazed at the organ stops that could lock both axis independently. I took notice of these as we sunk in a bog in a giant bit of wasteland that is now known as the Metro Centre (not much changed then I guess). 

G Wagon.jpg

Jimny.jpg

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 2

Suzuki, Jeep, Toyota, Nissan and Daihatsu with the Fourtrak know that square boxes are good for space.   

Skoda did it with the Yeti, just a pity they never went with the Concepts and made one more robust, and a pity the UK never got the Commercial version.

Wheels at the corners and not much overhangs.

Style and function and ability.   & importance,  lightness.

Skoda-Yeti_Concept_2005_800x600_wallpaper_02.jpg.11e3945cdb9ed9ea855d1a4ce866e3d8.jpg

12621_S7300007_640x352_640x352_1.jpg.e22b09efaa49fade8e9bf535aed9c600.jpg

land-rover-dc100-revised-concepts-live-photos_100370660_h.jpg.cd2462a322f7740d2a5375d62ce2f278.jpg

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Well I for one like it a lot. Certainly one of the more visually interesting 'ordinary' cars to emerge in a little while

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

A 'Rocky' is ok.

Not so sure I'd be queuing up for a 'Rugger' though.

I can see the insurance claims now- "I was rear ended by a Rugger".

• Like 2