Demise of VRS announced

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/288129-the-end-of-the-vrs

Funny use of words,

the 2500 or so in the UK that have bought them in the last 3 years, & those receiving theirs only this week, are hardly no one.

I bet there are Models built by Skoda, VW, Audi & Seat that VAG wish had sold as many as over 2000 in 3 years,and still selling

that are not yet axed or announced as being axed or that no updated models will available in the future.

The article  "that only a few people buy.".  so not, "no one."

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/frankfurt-motor-show/skoda-fabia-vrs-axed

george

• Like 1

Autocar are reporting this morning that Skoda have said they cant continue to make a car everyone likes but no one buys

Next model Fabia will include Monte Carlo style packs but no VRS

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Linky: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/frankfurt-motor-show/skoda-fabia-vrs-axed

Edit: Sorry for posting the link again! Will values rise due to the model being scarce?

Edited by Lee

But I got sent a link on FB last night to the Skoda Space-something.  Funky looking Rapid "Sportback".  Looked good in Monte trim/body kit.

And yes, not exactly on topic, but maybe the Rapid will have the sport models, the Fabia stay staid granny trolley.

Having looked in the last week at the deprectiation values of many VAG models and antisipated loss of value like the new Golfs, or even Octavia III vRS RS

£25,000-£27,000 and dropping maybe as much as £14,000 in 3 years.

EG,

2013  VW Golf GTD DSG, £27,355-£30,250,

Residual value after 3 years/30,000 miles £13,047, = 47.7% DROP.

With a £15,000 vRS Fabia in 2010 now still being worth, £8500-£10,000 in a trade in, they have been pretty good value.

Only £5,000-£6,000 of a drop.

Certainly a performance car for good value and no other car is matching them yet as a new buy.

Available for £15,000 new, 5 year Warranty available, 180PS DSG, 5 door, Hatch or Estate & Not as heavy as other 180PS models from VAG so exceeding their performance.

So buy a new £15,000 car now and in 5 years maybe still get at least £5,000, more likely £8,000,

so around £2,000 max a year.

Not many fun cars available like that from VAG.

Not so sure of the value of a 2013 Monte Carlo @ around £13,000 if they have produced 20,000 already and continuing building,

Asking prices are pretty well already down on year old ones,

Down to supply and demand really, and there will be a big supply without limited amounts of used Montes in the UK.

Plenty of 2-3 year old 105 ps Montes in Petrol or Diesel in the future

Nice cheap fun cars to buy and keep, but possibly going to not going hold value very well. Just standard VAG/Skoda depreciation levels.

george

They ought to have kept with a big juicy diesel engine and kept the vRS as something of a left-field hot hatch. The 2.0TDi in 140 or, better, 170hp guise, at 119g/km would have been ideal. Seeing the 140hp version as an Ibiza FR shows it could have been done.

A petrol automatic (albeit one with plenty of oomph) was never really going to cut it as a hot hatch. Given the DSG is used in all VAG variants of that size (Fabia, Ibiza, Polo and A1) I guess it was someone up on high who insisted that VAGsmall hot hatches were all going to go down the same route. A short-sighted shame.

• Like 1

A petrol automatic (albeit one with plenty of oomph) was never really going to cut it as a hot hatch.

Not sure I agree entirely, petrol is for most the default option for hot hatches and the DSG isn't just any 'automatic', but I'll stop there as the thread linked above did this/continues to do this to death.

Ok one last remark on the above....Golf GTI DSG? Petrol + Automatic and I think this cuts it.

• Like 2

I think the bottom line is that the Fabia VRS doesn't make them any money.

The engine problems on the VRS must have cost them dearly -I'm assuming that they are just not selling enough to make it economically viable to continue production.

• Like 1

The Pistonheads News and Thread is here: http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=28458

I guess that is the Friday 13th Doom News for people wanting a new petrol vRS in the future.  Just think for a second how epic the Mk2 vRS could have been with the 2.0 TDI CR 143PS that you can get in the Ibiza.

Oh well.

Edited by hussein

Seeing the 140hp version as an Ibiza FR shows it could have been done.

A petrol automatic (albeit one with plenty of oomph) was never really going to cut it as a hot hatch.

The Ibiza FR is a different platform so its not so straight forward from a development/production viewpoint. Agree on the auto only thing, look at the new Clio Sport, its done it a lot of damage imo

Agreed. If anything the DSG makes it faster. 

Faster but less involving, which to me is the primary point of a hot hatch and the main reason I never got on with the VRS.

Faster but less involving, which to me is the primary point of a hot hatch and the main reason I never got on with the VRS.

Fair enough.......I'm a big DSG lover!

I guess you will all have to look at the Octavia vRS in future. A fine car. 

Fair enough.......I'm a big DSG lover!

I guess you will all have to look at the Octavia vRS in future. A fine car. 

Not me, my Furby vRS is looking like a keeper.  As a July 2010 registered vRS it's one of the early ones but still relatively young as cars go.  Who knows the good 'uns could end up just running and running with no issues, certainly haven't heard of many on here that have cracked much more than 50-60k.  200k miles here I come : )

.......bugger, swore I'd leave this thread alone.

• Like 1

Shame that new buyers don't read your comments HERE relating too problems and issue too ownership of the MK 2 FABIA vRS.

Unfortunately the car mags -Autocar, Autoexpress etc. are only in the new car review game and not seemingly able to publish real customer issue as here. 

Could have save punters a lot of time , effort and expense if they had printed the negatives on long term customer experiences.

Well done Briskoda!!

Mk 2 Fabia vRS - GOOD CAR, POORLY CONCEIVED.

150-180 BHP Diesel mated to the 6 speed would have been the Dogs-------   also sold like HOT cakes!!

VW Group have been crap in handling this lower volume problem and generated some UNHAPPY CUSTOMER-ESPECIALLY IN THEIR WALLETS!! 

Shame they were not big enough too own up to the real problems for dropping this format!!

But I got sent a link on FB last night to the Skoda Space-something.  Funky looking Rapid "Sportback".  Looked good in Monte trim/body kit.

And yes, not exactly on topic, but maybe the Rapid will have the sport models, the Fabia stay staid granny trolley.

Perhaps Skoda should Chip the 1.6 diesel Monte to get back to 130+ bhp with the 6 speed and have some low cost reliable fun again!!

Shame that new buyers don't read your comments HERE relating too problems and issue too ownership of the MK 2 FABIA vRS.

Unfortunately the car mags -Autocar, Autoexpress etc. are only in the new car review game and not seemingly able to publish real customer issue as here. 

Could have save punters a lot of time , effort and expense if they had printed the negatives on long term customer experiences.

Well done Briskoda!!

Mk 2 Fabia vRS - GOOD CAR, POORLY CONCEIVED.

150-180 BHP Diesel mated to the 6 speed would have been the Dogs-------   also sold like HOT cakes!!

VW Group have been crap in handling this lower volume problem and generated some UNHAPPY CUSTOMER-ESPECIALLY IN THEIR WALLETS!! 

Shame they were not big enough too own up to the real problems for dropping this format!!

Here ere , the fabia vrs should have been a real money maker for skoda ! Unfortunately it was poorly executed and hence its early Demise , its should have had the 1.6 tdi or 2.0 tdi but who knows how the 1.6 turbo petrol will do ? Maybe that in the fabia with a dsg ? Time will tell,

The Fabia vRS is not a £15k car though.

It's a £17200 Hatch, £18000 estate + options.

The only reason it has sold so well in the UK has been because of the 20% VAT off deals. That's the only reason it's been such a bargain in the UK.

There are plenty of three year old average mileage vRS at independants and dealers for under £9k so that's a realistic trade in of £7.5k.

So quoting list price depreciation as in the earlier examples you'd be looking at a near £10k drop on list. Figures are easy to manipulate.

This is close to the industries 3 year retained value for the vRS of 42%.

With 20% off it was a performance bargain but a shame that was required for Skoda UK to shift them. That's why they won't be doing another.

Cheers

Lee

The Fabia vRS is not a £15k car though.

It's a £17200 Hatch, £18000 estate + options.

The only reason it has sold so well in the UK has been because of the 20% VAT off deals. That's the only reason it's been such a bargain in the UK.

There are plenty of three year old average mileage vRS at independants and dealers for under £9k so that's a realistic trade in of £7.5k.

So quoting list price depreciation as in the earlier examples you'd be looking at a near £10k drop on list. Figures are easy to manipulate.

This is close to the industries 3 year retained value for the vRS of 42%.

With 20% off it was a performance bargain but a shame that was required for Skoda UK to shift them. That's why they won't be doing another.

Cheers

Lee

£12500 Monte Carlo -chipped would be a little of the fun back- similar to Ford with the Fiesta ST -MONOTUNE concept!!

Too little too late I'm unfortunately.

Look at the residual on the old Fabia mk1 SE. and above all "Happy" Customer Comments.

It looks that almost everyone in this thread that picks faults with the Fabia Mk2 vRS did not buy one or like them.

Its fair enough on those that did and had problems and have a reason to be unhappy.

There are a fair number that have had problems.

Skoda, VW, Seat & Audi have treated customers/owners in a terrible way over engine failures.

Those with no idea about living for a year around with the 1.4tsi 180ps petrol DSG, really should just think on the diesels and Dsg or manuals they did or could have bought.

If £15,000 was the price you got them at & you can get £10,000 3 years later,

then thats the price, no matter what the Advertised OTR price was.

Seat did the Diesels or petrols with DSG and less oomph if anyone wanted to buy them.

A re-maped & suspension upgraded vRS 5 door estate,

bought new out the showroom today can well be 200bhp or more & still undercut a new 3 door Fiesta on price, and match it on performance. 

A new Monte Carlo with remap and up to 133 bhp, petrol or diesel & a suspension upgrade might come in at under £14,000,

not so sure it would then match a Fiesta on pace, but surely it will be fun.

george

• Like 1

Logiclee,

you are quoting prices again on Asking Prices & advertised, those are cars for sale, there are real bargains out there to be had,

now out of warranty and some not to touch with a barge pole.

(You can get a used car Warranty for 2 years on a vRS for £547 if you do buy a 3 year old bargain.)

But that cheap Asking Prices, is not the price some are getting walking in to spend money buying a car and getting offered a trade in.

Those car might have done their rounds in the Trade or went to Auction, Skoda Buy Backs, Repaired then back out on the market. etc. Or worse, not repaired.

There are cars that have had too much paid for them by dealers and not selling now, or till they drop their price,

thats their affair, and that means people can buy a bargain.

If someone buys keepers then the Residual does not matter,

If like me you buy lemons cheaply that are repaired, and they run as good as a buying a new one and you can run them and get your money back, then thats real world free motoring.

Buying 2 cars for £30,000 like a vRS Hatch and a Estate, his and hers,

or a vRS & Citigo and 3 years later having lost less than the one £27,000-£30,000 Golf

might make sense to some.

VAG sometime overprice as New their upmarket cars, and it is a lot of money to drive that prestige car for 3 years.

Choices is a good thing, no idea why people worry about others cars that go wrong,

they might be better worrying at how much they spend on their own.

george

George,

If someone offers you £10k for a three year old vRS then I'd snatch their hands off. You can pick up vRS's well under 3 years old for just over £10k at main dealers, even rip off high price dealers like Rainworth. That would be a trade in value of around £8.5k.

Someone actually had their 2011 car advertised on here for £8500. I bet his trade in offer was less than £8k

We buy any car value an 11 plate 16k mile VRS at £8395. 60 plate three year old example 20k miles at £7695. I find them usually a little lower than trade in price but not massively so.

Lee

Edited by logiclee

George,

If someone offers you £10k for a three year old vRS then I'd snatch their hands off. You can pick up vRS's well under 3 years old for just over £10k at main dealers, even rip off high price dealers like Rainworth. That would be a trade in value of around £8.5k.

Someone actually had their 2011 car advertised on here for £8500. I bet his trade in offer was less than £8k

Lee

Hi Lee,

You seem really aggressively negative about the MK2 vRS (and we are all 100% entitled to our opinions), I'm just wondering why. 

I don't see on your profile that you owned one (maybe I am wrong of course).

I agree the car isn't perfect but I suspect there are more people out there enjoying them, than not, and with that said I don't dismiss the poor people that really suffered with oil issues.

So why are you so keen to shoot the MK2 vRS down and to some extent along with it those of us who are enjoying ours?

But I got sent a link on FB last night to the Skoda Space-something. Funky looking Rapid "Sportback". Looked good in Monte trim/body kit.

I saw the same link and it looked pretty good. .. the spaceback. Also linked to the new yeti.... which is waaay off topic.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4

Logiclee,

WBAC are obviously offering different in different places, or to you, i have offers from them for more than i can get the cars for.

WBAC are buying to put into Dealerships with an asking price at least £1000 above what they pay.

Those are the cheapest on the likes of Autotrader today with an £8600 asking price that you might get from a Dealership for £8,000, @ 1 & 2 year olds there were cars returned to Skoda back in Trade for 'Much Cheapness', that was with the first 2010/11 faulty engines repaired or replaced.

Theory and price watching is fair enough, but maybe you had best attend some Trade Auctions and see the prices car change hands at.

Then how much some second hand actually do sell to people for.

Ones not selling are unsold, unsold & unwanted at the price or where no body shows interest, cars are often advertised for low prices to get them shifted.

Plenty vRS on the road in Scotland compared to some other parts of the UK.

Lots sitting used in Skoda Dealerships and nobody is buying them,

some used are sitting with window prices near as high as a Brand New one is available for.

Thats Skodas problem, not anyone after a bargains worry.

the vRS has its faults, & faulty ones, but high depreciation was and is not their big thing.

It certainly is not generally 47% in 3 years.

It has been nearer 33% for some trading in.

george

Hi Lee,

You seem really aggressively negative about the MK2 vRS (and we are all 100% entitled to our opinions), I'm just wondering why. 

I don't see on your profile that you owned one (maybe I am wrong of course).

I agree the car isn't perfect but I suspect there are more people out there enjoying them, than not, and with that said I don't dismiss the poor people that really suffered with oil issues.

So why are you so keen to shoot the MK2 vRS down and to some extent along with it those of us who are enjoying ours?

Not negative, just realistic on prices/competition. And can understand why a Mk3 doesn't make sense to the CEO.

We have had 3 Fabia's and wanted to swap our last Fabia for a vRS but both my wife and myself were not impressed at all. We looked when the VAT deal had ended and the vRS doesn't deserve to be at that price point. The dealer told us to expect 10-12% discount at the time so that would be at least 15% discount in my book but even so we wouldn't have bought one. For us the ride and handling were both poor for a sporty hatch, around town it banged and crashed over potholes but push it into a corner and there's a surprising amount of body roll with noticeable understeer and the usual Fabia numb steering. The ride/handling was the deal breaker for us not the price. It was damp (Not wet) on both our test drives and both cars struggled for traction off the line I felt.

For comparison the Fiesta ST is firm but not crashy, quite a supple ride yet it corners nearly flat and has great steering feel. Shame there's no 5 door but shows how a great chassis can be tuned.

Eventually after testing more cars than she does shoes my wife settled on a BMW 1 Series, not as fast as the vRS but it does feel great to drive, ride and handling is very well balanced.

We still have a 1.2 TSi DSG and that's great at what it does and I have another VAG DSG product but the Fabia vRS just didn't impress.

Just my opinion.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee