Citigo Sport MPG and fuel useage

Stormchaser

I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this too. I did a trip tonight from Bournemouth to Dorchester and back again. I had exactly half a tank of fuel.I have just parked up and been left with this:

Posted Image

And the PID is showing these details:

Posted Image

Now to be honest I'm really shocked at the amount of fuel it's used for this journey. Surely this can't be right it's only a 1 litre engine!

The car has now covered 900 miles in total and I would of thought it was loosening up by now. That fuel used is terrible. It's draining quicker than my iPhone 5 and that's saying something. Is anyone else experiencing this too?

All help appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

Your trip computer indicates 60.3 mpg - I guess that is pretty good for the drive you did? As for the fuel gauge, you might have to get used to how quickly it goes down: the tank is less than 8 gallons, I think; and I find all fuel gauges do down quicker in the second half than the first; also, if you happen to over-fill a tank and use up the extra expansion space, the gauge will not move at all for quite some time. Hopefully, when you do a brim-to-brim calculation, you will be pleasantly surprised by the consumption.

It seems to me that this is just a case of an inaccurate fuel gauge - mine is certainly very non-linear in its readings. With a full tank, the needle sits on "full" for best part of 100 miles, slowly goes down to a half, then plummets the rest of the way in no time.

I noticed it the first time I filled up. The gauge was showing just over a half, which in a 35-litre tank would mean no more than about 17 litres to fill it, but it actually took over 21 litres.

Your trip computer is showing 60.3 mpg. I find that the readings are 6 to 7 per cent optimistic, but that still means about 56 mpg, which is not bad with a new engine.

The only really accurate way to measure fuel consumption is to brim the tank, and record mileage covered and volume of fuel added since it was last brimmed. If you do that, I'm sure you'll feel better about things.

• Like 1

Thanks fabandy. I just looked up its capacity in the book and its 35 litres (7.6 gallons). I'm just amazed that you can practically watch it going down. I was thinking its got a problem but I have just come from a MK2 Octy 1.9 diesel and that fuel gauge hardly ever moved. First petrol car in over 10 years.

• Like 1

It is only a 35 litre tank.

The fuel gauge on most cars takes a fair while to get to half a tank then they always seem to drop quicker.

What are you getting brim to brim?

That is the only scientific way to check it.

Is your PID set to show whole life fuel or that journey?

standard skoda fuel gauge

takes 80-100 miles to come off full takes another similar milage to get to 3/4 then seems to drink fuel faster as it gets below half, then all but goes into free fall below 1/4

been the same on every skoda I have owned

It is only a 35 litre tank.

The fuel gauge on most cars takes a fair while to get to half a tank then they always seem to drop quicker.

What are you getting brim to brim?

That is the only scientific way to check it.

Is your PID set to show whole life fuel or that journey?

I haven't done brim to brim yet.

That was just for that journey only on the PID.

Mine has done 407 miles on 31 litres, so fairly pleased. As said don't rely on what the PID os telling you it's around 5-7mpg out I've found. Today my low fuel light came on around 1 mile before I filled up, I managed to get 31 litres in, so there must have been 4 litres left in the tank.

• Like 1

If I'm honest I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Nippy little car,very light and grippy. I do miss the PD punch with all that overtaking power but this little Sport puts a smile on my face again. The Octavia was a great car and totally trouble free for 7 years but I really was taken by the Citigo when I test drove it. I would recommend one to anybody :)

• Like 1

I've come from a powerful ish derv too and whilst you miss the torque, if you drop a cog or 2 swift enough progress can be made and on the flat motorways are a doddle and I found the car always wanted to pull past 70 and sit at 80ish.

Once you get used to it it's nippy enough but it's not fast though.

• Like 2

Fuel consumption as per sig, that's 90% town work.

Even more impressive was the 49.8 at this weekend, that was also including track mpg!

I have to say the citigo so far is living upto and passing my expectations.

• Like 1

I prefer to watch the pid top right figure (range) that goes down fairly accurately. Starts at 400 on a fill up and goes down...

My first fill up was 40 litres which suprises me when you say its a 35 litre tank! I really dribbled and dribbled it in for ages.....

• Like 1

Always try a soft reset?

Press the little reset switch on the side of the PID with a ballpoint pen.

Not sure on any other settings, worth popping back to the dealer if the reset does not do anything, the PID forms part of the same warranty as the whole car.

Hope you get it sorted.

• Like 1