Just purchased 11 plate fabia vrs, poor mpg, is this normal.

Baz192

Nearly out of fuel, only 25 miles range showing, traveled 450 miles since fill up (11 gallon vented fill) accordingly to the odomoeter.

As is often the case a fantastically economical run to West Wales and back followed by about 50 miles local which knocked about 100 miles of the range and then a mid range cruise of 125 miles where the range only said a hundred but did 125 and still had 25 left.  Mid gauge inaccuracies again.  Still very please though. enforced 40 and 50 mph bits on the M6 reallly help the consumption but are tedious.

So overall a genuine 43 mpg which is what the on-board showed so quite accurate and that included some flat out bits up some hefty inclines and roundabout to roundabout as well as lots of cruising.    

I've had my 12 plate vRS for just over a month now and I filled it up yesterday for the 3rd time since I got it. I've been filling it with super plus from Sainsburys and I don't think I've been hammering it. My drive to work is a 16 mile round trip through windy country lines mostly with a about 5 miles on an A road where I can do about 60 if there's no traffic. I've done about 80 miles on the motorway as well.

Whilst I'm enjoying driving the car I'm not sure if I can put up with filling it 3 times a month. I'm driving to Stoke next weekend and wondering if I'll make it there on a full tank (just panicking as it's my first long trip)! I knew I was buying a sporty car but it's my first one so going through all this petrol is unusual for me. I could go a month on one tank in my civic just driving to and from work.

On a 16 mile round trip it probably uses more than 1/2 a gallon, its only got the oil hot by the time you stop.

Cold starts both ways.

on a long run 360-400 miles from 41 litres (9 gallons) should be pretty easy to achieve, 

10 gallons will easily take you 400 miles plus.

maybe try Tesco Momentum 99 (99 Ron Minimum) , it is the same price almost as the Sainsburys Super.

I paid £1.34.9 a litre yesterday for Momentum.

http://www.petrolprices.com

george

I've had my 12 plate vRS for just over a month now and I filled it up yesterday for the 3rd time since I got it. I've been filling it with super plus from Sainsburys and I don't think I've been hammering it. My drive to work is a 16 mile round trip through windy country lines mostly with a about 5 miles on an A road where I can do about 60 if there's no traffic. I've done about 80 miles on the motorway as well.

Whilst I'm enjoying driving the car I'm not sure if I can put up with filling it 3 times a month. I'm driving to Stoke next weekend and wondering if I'll make it there on a full tank (just panicking as it's my first long trip)! I knew I was buying a sporty car but it's my first one so going through all this petrol is unusual for me. I could go a month on one tank in my civic just driving to and from work.

The Fabia VRS is more of a mid to long distance tool as it does take about 4-5 miles to get warm.

There are in fact just about no cars that are designed to be quick but efficient on short journeys.  Any body thing of any?

Neighbour just brought home a Honda Integra which I imagine heats up quickly. Similar to Civic R.

This will be solved as more Hybrid equipment comes on board.   

But the Twincharger patrol does not warm up quicker enough to make it as efficient as a Cold from start up Diesel engine.

Or even as efficient as some other Petrol Engine Designs,

(the Twincharger engine is very Temperature effected, that is internal/oil temps and Ambient/intake temps.)

you are well to get in and get driving, once the oil is a bit warmer the fuel gets used more efficiently,

even in Summer in the UK, that might be 5-6 miles before the engine oil has warmed enough,

and also the engine/fuel system has the car not running rich.

The Diesel engine will still use a lesser amount of fuel even when the coolant and oil is cold.

The thermostat is closed to till the engine is up to temperature,

which is why in a diesel, you start it then drive,

no point sitting waiting till the engine gets warm.

george

But the Twincharger patrol does not warm up quicker enough to make it as efficient as a Cold from start up Diesel engine.

Or even as efficient as some other Petrol Engine Designs,

(the Twincharger engine is very Temperature effected, that is internal/oil temps and Ambient/intake temps.)

you are well to get in and get driving, once the oil is a bit warmer the fuel gets used more efficiently,

even in Summer in the UK, that might be 5-6 miles before the engine oil has warmed enough,

and also the engine/fuel system has the car not running rich.

The Diesel engine will still use a lesser amount of fuel even when the coolant and oil is cold.

The thermostat is closed to till the engine is up to temperature,

which is why in a diesel, you start it then drive,

no point sitting waiting till the engine gets warm.

george

I tend to drive mind in Sport mode during the warm up period but use lighter than normal throttle as if running in as I think this is better for the engine.

But if the Fabia HTP is available to use then that is the more sensible option.

One day we will have just a single cylinder (or maybe epitrochoid)

It will provide the long range needed if batteries or superconductors do not get there.  40 KWs should be plenty  with a further 120 Kws or so from electric systems.

In what way can it be better for the engine to be using higher RPM possibly, or the same or similar RPM on lighter throttle,

than just being in 'D' and in 5th at 30mph, & 6th or 7th by 45-50 mph?

It takes exactly the same time and miles until the Oil indicates it is a 50*oC does it not.

Depends on the ambient temperature, and the Intake Temperature, and Ground/Grass Temperature is not the same as Air Temperature.

When its cold/icy or snow on the ground, i drive in 'D' so that i have 'S' to change back to come down 1 or 2 gears to decelerate and stop at junctions without needing to really use much of the brakes.

& Being in 'S' already means needing to move the stick to 'D' to go across to Manual unless using the paddles.

george

In what way can it be better for the engine to be using higher RPM possibly, or the same or similar RPM on lighter throttle,

than just being in 'D' and in 5th at 30mph, & 6th or 7th by 45-50 mph?

It takes exactly the same time and miles until the Oil indicates it is a 50*oC does it not.

Depends on the ambient temperature, and the Intake Temperature, and Ground/Grass Temperature is not the same as Air Temperature.

When its cold/icy or snow on the ground, i drive in 'D' so that i have 'S' to change back to come down 1 or 2 gears to decelerate and stop at junctions without needing to really use much of the brakes.

& Being in 'S' already means needing to move the stick to 'D' to go across to Manual unless using the paddles.

george

My logic to this ie using Sports mode during the motor warm up is that it is better to produce a certain amont of power with more revs and therefore less torque as torque/load is what wears bearing and cylinders.  Also the more revs will make sure oil pressure stay well up as well as the oil and water pumps pushing round the fliuds faster leading to a quicker uniform warm up through then engine.  It my theory, it is how I use to run in various engines when it use to be practice to run in engines. 

Stick with your theory then.

Good oil and the fact that in 'D' the gears are changing up before its revving is actually good for the twincharger,

Supercharger on demand up to 2,400 rpm and no Turbo works pretty well for torque and not revs with still cool oil.

It is not like many other engines, but it is the same Base Block as the 1.4 TSI with just the Turbo.

george

Cold and 'D' has it changing up before 2,000rpm and in 'S' before 4,000rpm

Not really sympathetic on engines when the oil is still warming up.

Got my vrs 4 months ago done 4500 miles run mine on tesco 99 octane since new getting 38-42mpg around town, just done 315miles on a trip from a full tank to the red line driving at high speed getting about 37mpg :devil:    on track getting 14mpg   :sweat: most of the time get about 400 plus to tank  

My logic to this ie using Sports mode during the motor warm up is that it is better to produce a certain amont of power with more revs and therefore less torque as torque/load is what wears bearing and cylinders.  Also the more revs will make sure oil pressure stay well up as well as the oil and water pumps pushing round the fliuds faster leading to a quicker uniform warm up through then engine.  It my theory, it is how I use to run in various engines when it use to be practice to run in engines. 

I think this theory should be based on the individual components rather than the engine as a whole. Less torque but more rpm may sound good for overall engine load but looking at the stresses of each rotating component I find it hard to believe that making a piston change direction twice as often when cold (and there for a bit looser in the bore) will reduce wear. The same applies to big end and main bearings. I'm not sure I'd want to drive with higher rpm when cold even in a straight 6, which has the best rotational balance and secondary/tertiary moments of inertia.

I tend to just try and take it easy until the engine's warmed up as I believe low rpm and low load will not only increase engine life, but keeping on topic should return best mpg.