Sad news for Mallory Park

Paul007

It is with great regret that Mallory Park Motorsport Limited has today announced that the company has been put into Administration.

Mallory Park has been operating as a motorcycle and car race circuit for many years and has much history attached to the circuit. In 1985 a highly restrictive Noise Notice was attached to Mallory Park Motorsport Limited ('MPML') embracing all circuit activities but, significantly, a number of the provisions within the Notice were very much open to interpretation.

MPML has enjoyed a long and fruitful relationship with Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council over the years and a level of understanding had been established to work within the 1985 Notice. Regrettably, however, this arrangement was placed under scrutiny by local residents some of whom were new to the village, who made representations to HBBC to apply the rigid interpretation of the 1985 Notice.

MPML and the local authority worked extremely hard with the residents to find a compromise solution but, unfortunately, the council decided to prosecute MPML on five charges of the Notice during 2012 which involved operating on a Saturday over and above the four days agreed in the Notice. The court hearing took place in August 2013 and ruled that MPML was guilty of this breach on the five occasions, but MPML was given the right to take the establishment rights of the 1985 Notice to a higher court.

The immediate implication of the Court decision was to oblige MPML to  observe the provision of the 1985 Notice, which allows only for 40 days racing on Sundays  per annum (but with a dispensation to allow four Saturdays per annum) and testing on Wednesdays. MPML was accordingly obliged to cancel all track day operations, resulting in a significant loss of income  (a situation also felt by local businesses and local employers) and use of the track for local community activities - young driver training etc. Overall, the imposition of such restrictions has inevitably led to MPML having a financially unstable business plan. 

Following the Court case, MPML immediately implemented the highly  restrictive conditions of the 1985 Notice, thus effectively reducing the circuit activity to two days per week. Significant losses were being incurred which no business can sustain. It was clear that a more dynamic approach needed to be taken to overcome the significant hurdles and two weeks ago MPML developed an innovative three stage Recovery Plan to take Mallory forwards which would hopefully meets the wishes of the residents  and form the basis of a viable business.

Very constructive dialogue was held with the Leader of HBBC and senior officials and we were receiving very encouraging reactions from them to the Plan. A fundamental component of the Plan  was the agreement of the Land Owner to reduce the annual lease rental, which had risen by over 40% over the last eight years and had reached untenable levels. Very regrettably, despite intense work by the MPML board, the Land Owner - Titan Properties Ltd - refused to make a substantive offer to allow the Recovery Plan to proceed.

British Automobile Racing Club were keen to support MPML (and did so up to the final race meeting yesterday by paying for certain essential supplies allowing the meeting to place) and indeed would have supported MPML to ensure all its trade creditors were paid. To that end, it needed the support of the Landlord with a sustainable rent but, regrettably, this was not possible to achieve.

Accordingly, having no firm visibility into 2014 and beyond, MPML directors had no option but to place the company into Administration.

The administrator, Ian Robert of Kingston Smith & Partners LLP, commented: “I will be working with all the stakeholders to ensure that Mallory Park will see racing again. I hope the administration process can assist in finding a solution which will be beneficial to all parties concerned.”

He continued: “To that end, I will be negotiating with the landlord and the council, with the support of the BARC, to ensure that racing can be enjoyed at Mallory Park for years to come. Although it is early days, I am hopeful that, once a solution to the lease is found, all of the company’s creditors should receive a substantial dividend, which I understand is very much the driving force behind the continued support of the BARC.”

That sucks!  I love that circuit, and I know this sort of thing has been threatened for some time (due to the noise restrictions)

I am fairly sure the circuit was there a long time before most of the surrounding residential area was? (Open to being corrected on that if not true)

PS: Nothing filed at companies house appointing administrators.  I just checked.  Interesting that the above company is actually based at Thruxton.  I didn't know they were linked.

The same happened in my neck of the woods. The locals complained about stock car racing at the local Rochdale circuit. It went and Morrisons's arrived. The locals complained about the noise made by stock car racing at the circuit in Blackburn. Tesco arrived. There's a pattern here....

The area around Mallory is pretty rural though.  Not really a hot spot for any kind of major development (apart from more housing to bolt on to what is already there, but then are plenty of fields / other areas that could be developed on three sides of the circuit)

Step in Mr Palmer  :wonder:    Maybe

Once again bloody do gooders have spoilt something people enjoy, speedways, circuits and even fox hunting all band because of a few, what next, fishing, golf...........

This country sucks, it needs more people to stand up to the moaning types and say tough, if you don't like it move.

Some are arguing on Twitter it has nothing to do with nimbys but I can't see how it doesn't. Nimby's move nearby, whinge about the noise, get the times the circuit can run reduced and stick up noise limits which means they can't make as much money so no able to pay rates, etc. You have to wonder are other tracks like Castle Combe, Oulton Park safe?

One wonders if the very same "local residents some of whom were new to the village" would therefore prefer the present activity be replaced by something entirely quiet and peaceful to fully utilise the land, say radioactive waste storage, or return it to agricultural use with say a five thousand head intensive dairy farm?

Much more likely of course is all that lovely hardstanding, circular access road and straightforward access to Bosworth Road and then the A447 would make it a great site for a distribution centre. 

NIMBY, NIMBY, NIMBY!

• Like 1

I did just skim read a council report on it. Seems that the operator changed and did not manage the residents as well. A couple of bad events, two grumpy house and it all went down hill.

We get it at work all the time (construction). Some people just want to know what is happening and are happy. However you often get the hard core moaner. Normally 50 plus couple, often retired with two much time on there hand. We do structural surveys, noise monitoring, vibration monitoring all well within normal levels and they make out like the Somme is outside.

It's like the newbies moving into a village then moaning about the church bells so they're silenced. Ours have been within the last 5 years, and now no longer ring for services either.

Seriously, do people not look into these things before moving?

I think some of the truth is missing from the above statement from mallory pk.IIRC there were strict limits on the hours the track could be used before the current owners bought the track, which they were well aware of. They have since then flouted those restrictions on a regular basis. It's more akin to gypsies buying a plot of greenbelt then setting up a site than nimbyism IMO. Sad to see the business going into admin yes, but the blame should sit with the company directors, not the locals who objected and the council who had to enforce the planning terms and conditions which no doubt cost the local ratepayers a tidy sum. Sorry if this doesn't support the general consencus of opinion.

• Like 2

Found some more info. Turns out the majority of the local were fine with it it's just the management were being difficult. http://www.speedmonkey.co.uk/2013/09/mallory-parks-owner-has-gone-into.html

https://twitter.com/DCZR_Racing/status/384726513075388416

Martyn's post crossed with mine but I stand by my nimby statement, if the locals are so supportive of the track and the business it no doubt brings to the area then the very same people have it in their power to suggest to HBBC that the 1985 Notice not be interpreted rigidly, or if really supportive suggest a relaxation of terms.

Didn't happen and another business goes under along with a much loved motorsport venue. Sad, I liked Mallory a lot.

• Like 2

Found some more on PH. Seems they did agree with the locals on what they should do but then the management took the proverbial. Ultimately a track has now closed and it's disappointing.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1305102

majortom said:
Hi all

Just to put you in the picture once again without the threat of duplicating what I have stated in previous posts, apologies if I do. Mallory Park have once again asked for support to an Executive Council meeting next Wednesday night, the same situation that forced the meeting of the 6th of March to be cancelled. A new proposal was put out to residents on the 16th of May - which proposes -

339 days of usage per year - Current notice allows 261
TOTAL HOURS NOISY ACTIVITY PER YEAR = 1411 Current notice allows 664
166 NOISY DAYS/YEAR Current notice allows 92 NOISY DAYS/YEAR
52 WEEKEND NOISY DAYS/YEAR Current notice allows 40 WEEKEND NOISY DAYS/YEAR
6 NOISY WEEKEND DAYS PER 4 WEEKS Current notice allows 4 NOISY WEEKEND DAYS PER 4 WEEKS
52 WEEKDAY NOISY DAYS/YEAR Current notice allows 114 WEEKDAY NOISY DAYS/YEAR
4 TO 5 NOISY DAYS MOST WEEKS FROM Current notice allows 2/week except for 3 days 4 times/year
Mid Feb - Mid November
‘QUIET DAYS’ UNDEFINED ACOUSTICALLY Current notice QUIET DAYS SET AT 45dBa
2 NO USE DAYS PER 4-WEEK CYCLE - 26/YEAR Current notice allows 2 NO-USE DAYS/WEEK - 104/YEAR
6 DAYS UNSILENCED VEHICLES/YEAR Current notice NO UNSILENCED VEHICLES
NOISY WEEKDAYS FINISH 5.30PM Current notice NOISY WEEKDAYS FINISH 4.30PM
NO LUNCH BREAK RESPITE Current notice 30 mins (weekdays)-1 hour(weekends)

This is a substantial increase, so understandably many residents are up in arms. Mallory Park continue to breach the notice, today being a prime example. They have made NO attempt to reduce the noise impact in the village and residents no longer trust their intentions. There was a residents meeting on the 30th of May at Mallory Park where one of the BARC bosses threatened that the land would be used for a sewage farm should the track close, so the threat of a housing estate did not scare us so they came up with this.!! A little bird has told us that should the land cease to be used as a race track there is a covenant that states it has to revert back to agricultural land. Remember the statement about staff being made redundant and given 90 days notice? well this was a lie also, at the meeting they stated that this was under discussion but no one had been made redundant at that point.

Mallory Park on Facebook now have stated that

Mallory Park We are looking at other events David, we know we will lose days. What we need now is time to build a new business and not a notice that allows just four Saturdays a year and 36 Sundays. We want to survive, please help us!

As I have stated in the past this is all lies (see what the current notice allows above)and this is what they are feeding their ill informed supporters out there. Mallory Park have made NO attempt to do anything about the noise or the amount of excessive usage and the threat that they will close is unsubstantiated as residents paid for an independent accountant to sit in a meeting with BARC/HBBC officials and his conclusion was that there was no evidence to support this.

This is nothing to do with just the newcomers coming into the village, but also residents that have lived with Mallory Park for the best part of 30 years and more with no problems until BARC and their greed took over. All we want is what we have lived with for all those years this is not being a nimby just someone who wants to live in harmony with the track and have some quality of , but Mallory Park keep feeding these lies and we then become the villains. All they are interested in is profit, this statement that they have put out bears NO resemblance to the truth and as far as being good neighbors are concerned why start now they haven't cared two hoots about us before this.

One wonders if the very same "local residents some of whom were new to the village" would therefore prefer the present activity be replaced by something entirely quiet and peaceful to fully utilise the land, say radioactive waste storage, or return it to agricultural use with say a five thousand head intensive dairy farm?

Much more likely of course is all that lovely hardstanding, circular access road and straightforward access to Bosworth Road and then the A447 would make it a great site for a distribution centre. 

NIMBY, NIMBY, NIMBY!

"Titan Properties Ltd" - Would seem much more likely to me that long term they want to build a massive housing estate there, possibly even "affordable housing" (which under the last few government's can be translated to: slum to stick the undesirables) with a tesco/co-operative in there. I bet the locals would be delighted about that and the effect it would almost certainly have on the value of their own homes.  :thumbup:

Regardless of the circuit breaching its very harsh restrictions, this is still about NIMBY's...

How can they expect the business to run on 2 days a week?

• Like 1

Regardless of the circuit breaching its very harsh restrictions, this is still about NIMBY's...

How can they expect the business to run on 2 days a week?

2 days a week?

According to a local resident... outlined above, they are allowed 261 days a year.

261/52 is an average of 5 days a week. It's hardly that restrictive.

It wouldn't be about noise complaints if more effort was made to stick to restrictions that have been in place since 1985. To reuse a phrase that some people have been using, if you don't like the restrictions, don't lease the circuit and break them.

• Like 2

A couple of gems in the outline from PH.

"A little bird has told us that should the land cease to be used as a race track there is a covenant that states it has to revert back to agricultural land."

Ah, green light for the "super dairy" idea then!

"Mallory Park have made NO attempt to do anything about the noise or the amount of excessive usage and the threat that they will close is unsubstantiated as residents paid for an independent accountant to sit in a meeting with BARC/HBBC officials and his conclusion was that there was no evidence to support this."

Mmm, an accountancy opinion I hope they didn't have to pay for considering the outcome.

This is starting to have all the potential of a good "Private Eye" story.

• 1 month later...

From BBC East Midlands News: Renewed hope for Mallory Park racing.                                                                                               Racing could resume at Mallory Park in Leicestershire next year with new operators,after the existing company went into liquidation on Tuesday. Operators Mallory Park Motorsport Ltd. (MPML) started administration proceedings last month after a loss in earnings following a legal dispute. Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council had said the track faced an uncertain future when MPML was wound up. But the authority revealed it has been approached by potential new operators.                                                                               I hope someone can make a go of it! Rog Dodge.

• 2 weeks later...

Again from BBC East Midlands News on T/text- The new owners, Real Motorsport state that they are very hopeful that racing will start in the Spring. Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council said it was "guardedly optimistic" a compromise between residents and the track could be found.

I did just skim read a council report on it. Seems that the operator changed and did not manage the residents as well. A couple of bad events, two grumpy house and it all went down hill.

We get it at work all the time (construction). Some people just want to know what is happening and are happy. However you often get the hard core moaner. Normally 50 plus couple, often retired with two much time on there hand. We do structural surveys, noise monitoring, vibration monitoring all well within normal levels and they make out like the Somme is outside.

Reminds me of the couple who moved in next door to our local. They came in once, were greeted by the landlord and the regulars, had one drink and left. From then on, they complained persistently at the noise.

And the worst bit is, it's by no means a rowdy pub.