Any reveiws of the Canton Upgrade?

Hey Blanes and Terry McAteer. Canton is a professional upgrade to the sound system by adding a subwoofer, more speakers and an independent amplifier to boost sound quality. 

From what I've heard it's the business. Work colleague of mine has the Dynaudio sound system in his MKVI Golf and he says that the Canton blows him away. Apparently the bass is tremendous and sound is crystal clear.

Edited by foregonereality

I asked my salesman if it was worth it and he said the standard speakers are so good not to bother.  He said he had listened back to back.  I'd be interested in other reviews as it's not too late to change my order.  It was one of my desirable options but I chose to leave it out.

I asked my salesman if it was worth it and he said the standard speakers are so good not to bother.  He said he had listened back to back.  I'd be interested in other reviews as it's not too late to change my order.  It was one of my desirable options but I chose to leave it out.

If he says its no different to the standard non amplified/EQ'ed Canton system, he must have a couple of cotton buds stuck in his ears!

Its a BIG difference and Ive posted about my back to back sessions Ive done with high quality files on two occasions now. The bass, seperation and imaging are in a different league. Its the best £400 you can spend off the options list for the octy 3 imo. :) 

• Like 3

Yeti_Man, have you noticed any effect from the noise cancelling circuitry the Canton (apparently) has? For instance, driving on the motorway, lots of tyre and wind roar etc, then turn on Canton at a low level. Does the tyre and wind roar get reduced by the Canton noise cancelling?

Yeti_Man, have you noticed any effect from the noise cancelling circuitry the Canton (apparently) has? For instance, driving on the motorway, lots of tyre and wind roar etc, then turn on Canton at a low level. Does the tyre and wind roar get reduced by the Canton noise cancelling?

I'm intrigued about this too.... BUT I'LL FIND OUT TOMORROW WHEN I PICK MY NEW CAR UP!  WOOOOOOOOOOOOP!

There, I feel better now.

• Like 1

To be honest, none of my loaners have had the Canton unfortunately but ive spent over an hour and a half at a friendly dealer sitting in the showroom cars and the ones having just arrived. Ive heard the Canton via Bolero and Columbus head units compared to the normal speaker setup and yes the standard speakers are good (better then the mk2 standard 8 speaker that ive had previously) but are way off what Canton is capable of (to be expected though considering the speaker themselves are in a different quality/price braket, theres a seperate amp and an enclosed subwoofer in the boot area. :)

Theres two general types of noise cancellation that ive experienced in cars, the lesser ones just use a microphone to 'read' ambient noise and increase the audio volume proportionately - I have a feeling (but could be wrong) thats whats on the Canton system. A friends A6 has the Bang & Olufsen system which is far more advanced and I believe is referred to as an 'active' noise cancellation system, thats a whole lot more complex and I believe has a number of mics and a control module calculates frequency, phase and volume and then uses the speakers to create sound that counteracts it. 

IMHO, the salesman is a plank for not spotting the opportunity to "up sell" you, and is a plank if he can't tell the difference in the quality of the two setups.  If I were his sales manager, I'd give him a kick up the trumpet for both of the aforementioned reasons!  It beggars belief how little some sales people know about their products.

Granted the sound quality of the standard setup is good, but the Canton is AWESOME!  (& well worth the extra money!) 

If your car hasn't been built yet and you're still interested, there may be still time to add the Canton speaker upgrade to the order.  However, go and take a listen with your own ears first!

When I read "Canton upgrade" I thought about a firmware upgrade that will unlock new features. Canton is an optional not an upgrade. It was confusing for me also so I understand Blames.

I have Canton system and it is awesome. I always enjoy it when going even to work.

I ordered Canton on my car, which I haven`t recived yet. Spend some time back and forth on two cars in the showroom with and without Canton. The original setup is not bad, but when you listen for som time the Canton is much  more refined. Much more controlled when it comes to bass. You can listen for a long time and not get tired in your ears. Huge difference! I would say its worth getting it

Right you lot, purely on what has been said on here I have changed my order.

You better be right!!!!

Just need to tell the Mrs now, or not.  (She'll never know.)

• Like 4

Right you lot, purely on what has been said on here I have changed my order.

You better be right!!!!

Just need to tell the Mrs now, or not.  (She'll never know.)

AT LAST!  I'm surprised it took you so long!  I'm certain you won't regret it.

Regarding your wife, if she asks just say it only added a few quid a month to the payments (that's how I got away with mine.... then the satnav.... then the bluetooth+, etc, etc, etc.)

• Like 1

No, you need to remember when telling SWMBO things come in 'packs' so if there is something you want but you know she will moan at, ask her if there is anything she wants, and then say that to have that it only comes in a pack with 'x, y and z'!!!

Only last car to get her the sunroof she wanted it you had to also order the light assist and bluetooth!!!

And yes I have ordered Canton as well!!! :-)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Canton sounds great after a week of ownership.  Not quite as bassy as I imagined, but wonderfully balanced and completely without distortion.  

As Terrymcateer suggested, it may be that the subwoofer needs to be run in for a month before it delivers it's best.  Still very pleased with it though.