Canton upgrade, recommended!

That's very useful as its on my desired options list. :) If its as good as the Mark Levinson system in the Lexus then that's pretty impressive for such a small outlay. Have you found any rattling from interior door panels etc when the bass is upped a little? That's the only complaint I can level at the upgraded sound system in the Yeti so far. :)

Thanks, that's good news! I was a bit hesitant at first but then decided to go for it as I love listening to music in the car. Of course, having a three-year-old who already has strong opinions about what to listen to on those long trips, I'm not sure if it really adds to the pleasure or not ;-)

That's very useful as its on my desired options list. :) If its as good as the Mark Levinson system in the Lexus then that's pretty impressive for such a small outlay. Have you found any rattling from interior door panels etc when the bass is upped a little? That's the only complaint I can level at the upgraded sound system in the Yeti so far. :)

I had 4 hour journey with it yesterday at various volumes and to be honest I wasn't expecting for the money anything as good as it is. There is very little panel vibration, obviously if you crank it up to "silly" levels the listening pleasure does tail off but that is expected I suppose.

Just wondering - where/how is the subwoofer mounted in the boot??

I believe, looking at pictures, that the subwoofer is mounted on the left side of the boot area, behind the wheelarch.

Ian

Thanks, that's good news! I was a bit hesitant at first but then decided to go for it as I love listening to music in the car. Of course, having a three-year-old who already has strong opinions about what to listen to on those long trips, I'm not sure if it really adds to the pleasure or not ;-)

I know what you mean, for some reason today my daughter was not impressed with daddies drum n bass album. Lol.

Thanks for the info...I, like a lot of us have been waiting to hear the info on the Canton...I've got it ordered with my elegance...3 weeks ago it was in Emden...not heard a sausage since.

Really looking forward to hearing the Canton sound.

Just wondering - where/how is the subwoofer mounted in the boot??

Depends on the variant I believe.

The hatch has it mounted in the side panel of the boot as described below. On the estate I think it depends on whether you have the variable boot floor, if you do the sub goes inside the spare wheel well instead I think.

Its funny I think these upgrade systems are often quite hit or miss, hoping this is a hit.

Having sampled a Bose system in an older A3, it was loud and bassy but wouldnt have decribed it as good sound. Have also sampled the B&O system in an A5 coupe and the 10 speaker Audi Sound System in my Dads A5 sportback and strangely the Audi Sound System sounded way better to my ears. The B&O was loud but v treble heavy, the sub really not making enough impact with low end bass and the EQ settings on the B&O dont allow you to change the sub level like the do on the sound system. Also the sub on the Sportback is mounted in the boot floor where as the sub on the coupe is mounted in the rear bulkhead (using the boot as the bass chamber) and guessing the sportbacks set up was more effective at producing bass.

In fact ive been amazed with my late MK2 vRS' s standard 8 speaker arrangement; apart from some minor door trim rattles with really heavy bass its one of the better sound systems Ive heard in a car for a long while.

I suppose every ones ears and music tastes are different but sometimes Im not so sure the optional systems are always worth the outlay, particularly in cars that have many speakers and maybe a sub as standard.

Edited by pipsyp

I think Audi only fit the very basic B&O to the A5 though and that's not impressive at all - an insult to the brand IMO! A friend in Germany has an A6 avant with the full blown B&O and that's totally stunning! That, the B&W in the latest jag and the 19 speaker Harmon system in the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 have been the best to my ears and I've spent quite some time with them and my music collection :) If the Canton is better then the standard setup and the 12 speaker premium option in the Yeti and Superb ill be happy as the cost is fairly similar :)

Here in Denmark the Canton option cost............ 850£ thats sick. so i can live with the 8 speaker that comes with the Elegance and the Bolero radio

You guys would not understand how expensive everything is here in DK.

The car i ordered cost. 32000 £ :@ and thats for a 1,4 tsi elegance Combi in race blue. if i would buy a New Vrs it would cost. 43000£ :wall:

I've been listening to the system today and having a play with the settings. The sound is still good even when it is using bluetooth. The subwoofer has a separate volume control in the settings so it can be turned down if you wish. I've been especially listening for trim vibration and my ears give out before I can crank it up any higher to try and get things rattling, so it appears the quality (at the moment) is good.

On reading the posts this topic has created, I would hate to think people would be disappointed and be annoyed by my praise of the system if there "ear" is at a different level. I have had a Harman kardon system in a merc and a mark levinson system in a Lexus and when compared to the £££'s they ask for these premium systems to the £400 retail price for the canton upgrade in comparison to the sound quality achieved, it appears to be in MY OPINION and hearing a good option to go for.

• Like 2

Here in Denmark the Canton option cost............ 850£ thats sick. so i can live with the 8 speaker that comes with the Elegance and the Bolero radio

You guys would not understand how expensive everything is here in DK.

The car i ordered cost. 32000 £ :@ and thats for a 1,4 tsi elegance Combi in race blue. if i would buy a New Vrs it would cost. 43000£ :wall:

You guys evidently earn alot more money than us poor brits to compensate for your high cost of living. Average salary for a cleaner in DK for instance is equivalent of approx 27k GBP based on a 37.5hr week......if someone ovwr here was earning over half that they'd be doing v well! If a basic Elegance 1.4tsi estate cost £32k here they actually probably wouldnt sell any :-)

• Like 1

I have had a Harman kardon system in a merc and a mark levinson system in a Lexus and when compared to the £££'s they ask for these premium systems to the £400 retail price for the canton upgrade in comparison to the sound quality achieved, it appears to be in MY OPINION and hearing a good option to go for.

So this system is comparable to Harman Kardon and Mark Levinson??? OMG

So this system is comparable to Harman Kardon and Mark Levinson??? OMG

No, that's not quite what I'm saying, I'm saying that it is good and is up with the best of them for a £400 price tag. I've listened to it for quite a few hours now and I would reevaluate what I initially said in my first post. Yes it is good but so are the other systems I mentioned but each of the systems has weakness's and strength's, but when they are compared on price to sound quality the canton system comes out well, but if I was to pay £800 for the canton system. The same price as what was in my merc then I don't think it would be as good value for the quality achieved.

The £400 price for the canton system and sound achieved for that price is very good. I like it a lot, and hope when other owners listen to there canton systems like the sound to for the money paid.

To get an uprated 8 speaker + centre fill + sub with 500+ watts of external amplification from a decent HiFi manufactuer for 400 quid factory fitted is good value isnt it. Id have thought it probably sounds at least 400 quid better than the standard system; which if the MK2 is anything to go by must sound pretty good anyway.

If I buy a MK3 vRS at some point it'll probably be one of the few boxes I tick other than Amundsen (I'm doubting the vRS will come with that and now Ive had OEM nav theres no going back!) And possibly a wheel upgrade.

• 6 months later...

Apologies, as I've posted something similar elsewhere, but if this is helpful to anyone considering the Canton upgrade, then I would recommend having a good listen to it before taking the plunge.

I paid for the upgrade but find that the sound is too bright and harsh in the mid to high frequencies for my taste and the simple bass-mid-treble EQ does not give enough fine adjustment to balance the sound as I'd like.  The subwoofer is very solid although back-seat passengers get by far the biggest benefit out of it.  Bass in the front seems good, if less in-your-face, although I have found that there are worryingly loud door panel rattles at even 50-60% of the volume with some bass notes even without having the bass much above flat on the EQ.  Also, there are the beginnings of distortion in the door speakers if you really crank it and I suspect that at full volume, the sound would be a mess.  By comparison, the factory-fitted Bose system in my previous company car (a Seat Exeo SE Tech) gave a far more punchy, more rounded and rattle- and distortion- free response, all the way past the point of pain and I would say that the Canton is not as good as that.

Only my opinions and experience though, but definitely give it a test drive if you are thinking of upgrading and have the opportunity to check it out with some music you know.

Rich.

Apologies, as I've posted something similar elsewhere, but if this is helpful to anyone considering the Canton upgrade, then I would recommend having a good listen to it before taking the plunge.

I paid for the upgrade but find that the sound is too bright and harsh in the mid to high frequencies for my taste and the simple bass-mid-treble EQ does not give enough fine adjustment to balance the sound as I'd like.  The subwoofer is very solid although back-seat passengers get by far the biggest benefit out of it.  Bass in the front seems good, if less in-your-face, although I have found that there are worryingly loud door panel rattles at even 50-60% of the volume with some bass notes even without having the bass much above flat on the EQ.  Also, there are the beginnings of distortion in the door speakers if you really crank it and I suspect that at full volume, the sound would be a mess.  By comparison, the factory-fitted Bose system in my previous company car (a Seat Exeo SE Tech) gave a far more punchy, more rounded and rattle- and distortion- free response, all the way past the point of pain and I would say that the Canton is not as good as that.

Only my opinions and experience though, but definitely give it a test drive if you are thinking of upgrading and have the opportunity to check it out with some music you know.

Rich.

Whats the hours on your system? Is it still pretty new? Ive heard three now and the Octy with no miles on sounded harsh. It was having its PDI but I was allowed to do some listening on the Canton. The other two were both older, so presumably having had quite a few hours through the system - these two sound smoother and flatter overall - not as sharp or sparkly at the top end of the first one I heard. Just a thought - maybe it needs a fair amount of bedding in time like my home hifi speakers? :)

I've yet to have a listen to the Canton system - I have the standard set-up, which is pretty good in my opinion for a non 'upgraded system', once run in the sound is quite punchy with a decent bottom end and good clarity, one thing I would criticise is that the top end can be a tiny bit brittle sounding and harsh sometimes, but for a bog standard system no complaints at all. Therefore I would expect the Canton to have a very good starting point.