Extended warranty - recommendations, please

ejstubbs

Who did you speak to in CCP?  I just called them on the number listed above and was advised that I have to go to a Skoda dealer to arrange their extended warranty, because the original warranty expired two weeks ago.

Not sure if you're asking me to answer...if so I'm happy to say that I haven't spoken to CCP themselves for several months...that was when they told me I had the option to go direct with them or to go to a dealer.  Post #47 above refers to my very recent conversation with the girl at SMC Skoda Exeter where she spoke about the need to go to them to have the car checked IF it was older than 3 yrs.

In view of what CCP told you, at least we know there isn't now the option to go direct to them therefore it's a matter of shopping round (as has been done above) to get the best deal knowing you can (according to my understanding and what I was specifically told at Exeter) go to any Skoda dealer for claims.

DGW hasn't replied when I asked where his best deal was from....hope he might.

Not sure if you're asking me to answer...if so I'm happy to say that I haven't spoken to CCP themselves for several months...that was when they told me I had the option to go direct with them or to go to a dealer.

Sorry Oldstan, I should probably have been replying to Great Yeti's post #34.  Looks like I'm even more confused than I thought I was!

At the risk of confusing myself even further, I'm going to call a dealer 50 miles away to see what they feel like offering.  (I suppose I could try calling the local Arnold Clark Skoda dealership as well - even though AC as a whole give me the creeps - since I wouldn't have to go to them for the repairs if I did need to make a claim.)

Sorry Oldstan, I should probably have been replying to Great Yeti's post #34.  Looks like I'm even more confused than I thought I was!

At the risk of confusing myself even further, I'm going to call a dealer 50 miles away to see what they feel like offering.  (I suppose I could try calling the local Arnold Clark Skoda dealership as well - even though AC as a whole give me the creeps - since I wouldn't have to go to them for the repairs if I did need to make a claim.)

To the best of my (limited) knowledge it doesn't matter which dealer you buy the warranty from as you can go to any Skoda dealer for attention once you've got it. So just get the cheapest??

If it makes you feel any better I just rang Nissan Customer Service to ask if they had an approved scheme whereby you could take out an extra two years official Nissan Warranty at the point of purchase of a NEW car.  The bloke didn't know for sure but suspected not....he went and asked someone else who wasn't entirely sure but was almost certain they didn't.  My local Nissan dealer said they DO do a scheme available at purchase (NEW) and he thought it was about £250 for 1 yr and  £500 for 2 yrs.  He looked it up and said that the 2 yrs is actually £800 and something and 1 yr is £250....and that the £250 figure is a "special offer".

Ford is much clearer. It's shown on their website and is extremely reasonably priced..  Having said that Ford warranty is not the same throughout the length of cover.  1st yr is more comprehensive than subsequent years with, apparently. trim item being excluded after yr 1.

Toyota's 5 yrs warranty is clear, though. The same level of cover throughout.  And Toyota have a good rep. for the upholding and administration of their warranty.

Edited by oldstan

Just had helpful email from my local dealer who contacted CCP to enquire about current option following my enquiry to him.

My dealer does not sell the warranty (or any other warranty) themselves.

He said I would be contacted by Skoda/CCP 2 months prior to end of standard 3 yr wty.

Current prices (which may or may rise in time).

12 months extended warranty with breakdown cover £449

12 months extended warranty without breakdown cover £399

• 1 month later...

As it's getting closer to the time when I need to work out whether to consider selling the car for another - or consider whether to buy a warranty (primarily to cover the DSG) I again asked my local, servicing, dealer what was available.  

I bought my 2010 Octavia DSG in March last year from a main dealer with a 12 month "Warranty and Assistance" included. Like you it is the DSG I want to continue cover for (everything else you can sensibly self-insure for). I'm thinking the Skoda Dealer /CCP warranty is the one to go for but my current booklet does state that it excludes "Renewal of any clutch components due to incorrect adjustment, misuse or wear and tear".

Did you manage to find a policy that you are confident covers the DSG?

• Like 1

That's a very Good question....

(Welcome by the way.) :hi:

Thanks and thanks! I have mooched around for a while and the forum is a great resource. It's my first Skoda after years of Fords, BMWs and then Fords again (guess which were the company cars and which ones were my own cash!)

I'm going to talk to the warranty guy at my local dealer on Wednesday when I'm in for a service. It's helpful to know the variance in prices charged by dealers. But at the end of the day, if there is no warranty that will cover genuine DSG 'deaths' I might be better off saving my money. Though it would  take about 15 years of warranty premiums to pay for a new DSG! 

Edited by DadWagon

It is my sincere understanding that the clause that states it covers "Gearbox (manual and auto)) - All components other than - Belts, cables, edternal linkages, gear lever and mountings" is sufficient to cover the DSG complete with it's associated clutches given that the clutches are integral parts of the automatic operation of the box and not subject to wear and tear and user abuse as would be the case with a manual clutch. I asked CCP and my dealer and was told that this is the case.  I admit that I don't have a sworn affidavit from the underwriter but have decided to exercise sufficient due diligence, balance and common sense  in taking out a policy which, to the best of my understanding, will cover the transmission (and, as a bonus, most other major components).

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

An update: I decided to go with the official Skoda warranty from my local dealer. Two years of warranty and assistance for £600. Also bought a £349 service plan (one minor one major). A sad day for the bank account but at least felt fully covered.

Yesterday the circular control knob to the electric folding mirrors came off in my wife's hand. Took it in. My question as to whether it was covered by warranty was taken as if it were a joke. I asked what particular clause in the warranty it was excluded under. Was it 'interior trim' perhaps. The response was "I have no idea. I have never read it."  :devil:

Whole thing was slightly complicated by the fact that it looked as if the knob has been off and superglued on the previous owner. But there was me thinking that buying a 'preloved' car from a Skoda garage, then having it serviced with another Skoda garage, including buying a Skoda service plan, Skoda warranty and Skoda assistance package, might just mean that I shouldn't have to worry about critical bits just falling off the car!

Then they checked for outstanding recalls, finding one for the DSG. Yes, that same DSG about which a few months earlier I had complained about judders in 2nd gear, and for which I had had to pay (even though under warranty) to have them reset the software. At the time the recalls had not yet reached the UK but I pointed out it was a known problem on Briskoda. I mentioned that I had been right and had wasted my money. No response.  :devil:

What started out as a great relationship with my local dealer has turned pretty sour...

• Like 1

An update: I decided to go with the official Skoda warranty from my local dealer. Two years of warranty and assistance for £600. Also bought a £349 service plan (one minor one major). A sad day for the bank account but at least felt fully covered.

Yesterday the circular control knob to the electric folding mirrors came off in my wife's hand. Took it in. My question as to whether it was covered by warranty was taken as if it were a joke. I asked what particular clause in the warranty it was excluded under. Was it 'interior trim' perhaps. The response was "I have no idea. I have never read it."  :devil:

I'm saddened to hear you've not been treated terribly well.  And grateful that you've given an update for others to look and learn from.

I did have the judders and my dealer arranged for a new clutch pack under warranty (within the first 3 yrs) so am unhappy that you had the problems you did and had to pay for the privilege.

You post serves as a reminder to those who proudly and repeatedly proclaim "x" million number of miles under their belt with hardly a hiccup that problems can and do occur - but it's the manner in which they're dealt that matters to most of us.

Re. your purchase of 2yrs extra warranty and assistance for £600 I  reiterate my own thoughts insofar as I was aware that responsibility would be denied for certain items (your mirror control for example) whether you had a Warranty Direct product or a 'Skoda Approved' one or whoever else you might have chosen.  And in the light of the aforegoing decided to go for the £144 a year cover that I've mentioned elsewhere solely to (hopefully) cover the major items but for as little cost as seemed balanced and appropriate. In addition I've gone back to my Breakdown Cover provider of old - AutoAid - who charge me £39 a year on a pay and claim basis and who I've been with since 1984.   I can't report back on the new warranty cover to date as I haven't claimed off it.  But your post has reminded me that I'm glad I didn't give them the six hundred odd squids that they invited me to and time may or may not tell who has the last laugh - them or me.

And I forgot to add, again, that I'm sorry that VAG haven't got the confidence in their products to up their warranty to the 5 or 7 years (or unlimited in the case of Vauxhall) that others can and do offer.

Edited by oldstan

Yes and those 5 or 7 year warranties will also have their hidden sections.

Has anyone read the 2 years and what it does or does not cover. I have read it but can't for the life of me recall what is so must go back. I am sure though it will only be major parts. Lets face a new knob will not break the bank. I would rather them say no to it and yes to a new engine or gearbox.

I listed the entire "what's covered and what's not" on one of the warranty threads...might even be this one but can't be bothered to look as I spent so much time trying to save members a few bob by using the CSMA warranty and no-one was interested.

Yes the 5 and 7 would have exceptions.  Show me anything in the world that doesn't...(I think I listed the KIA one too...and got little response at the time) but it does cover a lot more than major components however I'd sooner have even my major components covered for four more years instead of not having them covered. My recollection was that the Toyota was a pretty comprehensive 5 year's worth - rather than 3 years and then nothing (goodwill excepted if you happen to get it). And the Hyundai one isn't bad (I have a Hyundai)  and Hyundai give you five years comprehensive RAC cover too, which is fair enough.

I've no axe to grind and won't pursue the point.  People buy what they want, when they want it.

.... I spent so much time trying to save members a few bob by using the CSMA warranty and no-one was interested.....

Oh, yes they were!  It was duly noted and CSMA will be hearing from me in due course.  I'm sure not to have been alone.  Thanks in retrospect - and in advance too :clap:

In relation to the electric mirror control knob: -

The official Skoda warranty does not cover "Interior trim including seat, seat belts and pre-tensioners" or "any lossess or damage to components that are not directly covered within the terms of this warranty".

It does include "almost all mechanical and electrical components on your vehicle".

While the control knob is not itself 'electrical' it is surely an integral part of the electric mirrors? 

Unfortunately for me, it also excludes "failures caused by faults which an engineer thinks coudl have reasonably existed before this warranty began". So if the previous owner re-stuck on the knob before selling it to the Skoda dealer from whom I bought it, I guess that is pre-existing!

May need to go back to the supplying dealer (who of course has had none of my servicing business because they are several hundred miles away.

I suppose it could also be construed as a mechanical part of the electrical system.

The joys of not buying from your local dealer. While they should honour such a small repair I suspect not having seen your cash does play a part.

I must admit though having agreed to spend almost £25K with mine when I enquired about an HDM lead I was pointed to the accessories/spares department where they would have wanted to extract £30 from me...I bought one off ebay for £0.99p instead.

Edited by DonjSZ5
  • Like 1

I listed the entire "what's covered and what's not" on one of the warranty threads...might even be this one but can't be bothered to look as I spent so much time trying to save members a few bob by using the CSMA warranty and no-one was interested.

Yes the 5 and 7 would have exceptions. Show me anything in the world that doesn't...(I think I listed the KIA one too...and got little response at the time) but it does cover a lot more than major components however I'd sooner have even my major components covered for four more years instead of not having them covered. My recollection was that the Toyota was a pretty comprehensive 5 year's worth - rather than 3 years and then nothing (goodwill excepted if you happen to get it). And the Hyundai one isn't bad (I have a Hyundai) and Hyundai give you five years comprehensive RAC cover too, which is fair enough.

I've no axe to grind and won't pursue the point. People buy what they want, when they want it.

Sorry,duplicate post.

Yes the 5 and 7 would have exceptions.  Show me anything in the world that doesn't...(I think I listed the KIA one too...and got little response at the time) but it does cover a lot more than major components however I'd sooner have even my major components covered for four more years instead of not having them covered. My recollection was that the Toyota was a pretty comprehensive 5 year's worth - rather than 3 years and then nothing (goodwill excepted if you happen to get it). And the Hyundai one isn't bad (I have a Hyundai)  and Hyundai give you five years comprehensive RAC cover too, which is fair enough.

I've no axe to grind and won't pursue the point.  People buy what they want, when they want it.

I also noted your posts Old Stan, and consequently rejoined CSMA after being a member some years ago. I will definitely be looking at their Warranties on offer when the time comes.

Been into Skoda and have been quoted £649 to extend the Skoda warranty to five years ( so presumably its not an aftermarket third party product) less £50 if I dont want assitance..

Its Cuthberts 3rd Birthday in a fortnights time so was looking to extend for a further two years as hes been very little trouble and easily the best all round car have ever owned (excepting a new part for the A/C which I was informed would have been the best part of a grand, so warranty is important).

My naive view is having handed over me £649 that I would be covered in year 4 and 5 for much the same as I am covered in year 3....

Is it possible someone therefore please clarify the process...?

Situation now.. car has problem - covered - yes - garage fix it.. no money changes hands.. (and that from chatting to Mr Saleman is my impression of what would happen)

Situation year 4 the same.....???..... or do you pay the garage for the work and then possibly claim it back via a submission of a  claim with paperwork etc etc etc.....?

Many thanks :sun:

I think that what you have been offered is the Skoda Approved Extended Warranty and Assistance rather than a 2 year extension for the existing warranty. The latter can only be purchased at the time that you buy a new Skoda.

As with all aftermarket warranties, you need to read all the terms and conditions when comparing different warranties. The CSMA extended warranty is frequently quoted as being the same as the Skoda Approved Extended Warranty but considerably cheaper. Both are administered by Car Care Plan Limited but the insurers are different, namely Motors Insurance Company Limited for the CSMA warranty and AGA International SA for the Skoda one. The first link below is to the CSMA warranty (actually, 2 different warranties depending on age and mileage) and the second to the Skoda Approved Extended Warranty and Assistance. Take time to work out what is and isn't covered by each...

https://csmaclub-warranty.motor-admin.com/documents/csma/policy-document.pdf

https://skoda-approvedextendedwarranty-invited.motor-admin.com/documents/skoda/policy-document.pdf

Yes, it is definitely not the same warranty. It is Skoda branded of course, and my hope was that this would count for something in those grey areas that inevitably crop up. That's not the case so far for me, though that may be the dealer failing to advocate for me.

One thing to note is that dealers have discretion in pricing by varying their margin presumably. I got 2 years warranty and assistance for £600.

You can also buy the warranty from one dealer and use it at another. So you can shop around to buy the warranty at the best price.

Edited by DadWagon

@DGW (and Dad) ... Many thanks for input... I should have remembered all the problems I had when I had the old Superb..

I will revist the dealer and ask for their comments ... ' if you could just speak into this i phone.. please....'

If its not an extention to the existing warranty, then I really cannot be doing with the hassle.... ( car needed for job.. no time to sit and argue the niceties...)

Whole thing was slightly complicated by the fact that it looked as if the knob has been off and superglued on the previous owner. But there was me thinking that buying a 'preloved' car from a Skoda garage, then having it serviced with another Skoda garage, including buying a Skoda service plan, Skoda warranty and Skoda assistance package, might just mean that I shouldn't have to worry about critical bits just falling off the car!

Just called Skoda Approved Warranty Services today. They said that the control knob coming off is classed as damage and would not be covered in any case. Of course it would be impossible for the policy holder to prove otherwise. 

They did say that if they had 'had a rash' of similar problems then they would cover it.