1.6 Diesel & Caravan

fatgit

Hi all.

We're considering getting a Yeti 1.6 manual diesel in May and I wondered how these are as a tow car?

We've just bought our first caravan (a 1991, 780kg empty, 1135kg Max) so need something that will comfortably pull it. We've narrowed our choice down to either the Yeti or Octavia, but I'd prefer the yeti because of the seat height.

Cheers.

I am sure it will cope fine, the 1.6 is not bad for torque and gearing is well spaced, also the caravan choice is fairly light too. I would say it will be ok.

I think there is a caravan website that tells you the match of tow car to caravan, I will try to find it.

Cheers. I've had a look and done a report so it's a decent match.

Just need to wait until January now to test drive (it seems Motability customer can't test drive until 4 months before the new car is due now).

Go to a different dealer and tell a little lie, show interest in buying a Yeti 1.6 diesel, go on your test drive and then give the car back and leave, "I will have a think about it and get back to you Mr Dealer"  

Simple as that  :happy:

James I, thanks for posting that link. A most comprehensive and useful site which could help so many of us looking to waste our money on, sorry, invest in, a caravan for holidays and leisure.

It sure makes interesting researching!

• Like 1

Go to a different dealer and tell a little lie, show interest in buying a Yeti 1.6 diesel, go on your test drive and then give the car back and leave, "I will have a think about it and get back to you Mr Dealer"  

Simple as that  :happy:

That never occurred to me! I know what I'll be doing next week :)

See this thread that covered this in detail - albeit starting off by asking about the 1,2 petrol.  The OP in that thread had the same question and in the end bought a 110 TDI.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/286562-towing-with-a-12tsi/

I'm sure it will be OK towing a caravan with however I have had a loan of an Ibiza FR 1.6 CR 105 and was rather unimpressed.

We went to Alton Towers one day with 4 adults... it felt gutless.

Would hate to think how that engine would feel in a bigger/heavier car with a caravan on the back.

As I say I'm sure it will handle it OK but don't expect it to feel easy etc.

On the plus side the Yeti in general makes a good towing car and I'm almost certain that the cars stability etc will make up for having to just rev the engine a bit harder.

Phil

I'm sure it will be OK towing a caravan with however I have had a loan of an Ibiza FR 1.6 CR 105 and was rather unimpressed.

We went to Alton Towers one day with 4 adults... it felt gutless.

Would hate to think how that engine would feel in a bigger/heavier car with a caravan on the back.

As I say I'm sure it will handle it OK but don't expect it to feel easy etc.

On the plus side the Yeti in general makes a good towing car and I'm almost certain that the cars stability etc will make up for having to just rev the engine a bit harder.

Phil

Which is why I suspect the OP in the other thread went the way of the 2,0 TDI...

Which is why I suspect the OP in the other thread went the way of the 2,0 TDI...

Yup. No doubt.

As the old saying goes... 'there's no replacement for displacement'!

• Like 2

I considered the 2L, but it comes down to mpg and being able to afford to drive it :)

From what I've seen, the ral life mpg on the 2L is significantly lower than the 1.6 which is important for day to day use.

I considered the 2L, but it comes down to mpg and being able to afford to drive it :)

From what I've seen, the ral life mpg on the 2L is significantly lower than the 1.6 which is important for day to day use.

I'm intrigued to know where you've seen that as very few people here seem to have the 1.6.

The 2L is much more common, and I've seen reported consumption figures for the 140bhp around the mid to upper 40's being quite common.

Even with the 'van behind I can get into the low 30's!

What do you expect the 1.6 to get?

EDIT.

Just checked the figures in the Tech Files:

2L,140bhp gives 7.1/5.3/4.6 L/100km

1.6 Greenline......5.2/4.2/4.6 L/100km

(I think that is how I read it!)

Looking at fuely, honestjohn, here, what car etc, it looks like the 1.6 average around 50-53 and the 2.0 around 40-45 meaning around £150-£200 difference in fuel costs annually with my average mileage (excluding towing). I know it only seems like a small amount but every little helpscurrently :)

Couldn't actually find the 1.6 Greenline listed on Fuelly, but I will agree that HonestJohn does seem to imply you are correct. However I take a lot of these "comparison" sites with a large pinch of salt, because not everyone drives in the same way, over the same roads, as we have proven many times here.

The figures I've kept for 3 years on my 140bhp 4x4 exceed the figures quoted by HonestJohn for that model.

Personally I'd go out and have a long test drive and see if it suits you.

• Like 2

I had a 110 bhp diesel and my average mpg on the computer was 58. Towing a 1200kg caravan got about 30 mpg. Wouldn't liked to tow with a 1.6. Driven 210 miles in my 140 bhp Tiguan today and averaged 54 mpg for the jou

A lot's to do with how you drive.

Bob

• Like 1

Looking at fuely, honestjohn, here, what car etc, it looks like the 1.6 average around 50-53 and the 2.0 around 40-45 meaning around £150-£200 difference in fuel costs annually with my average mileage (excluding towing). I know it only seems like a small amount but every little helpscurrently :)

My 1.6TDI Greenline averages 48_ 53mpg on a brim to brim comparison over 22,000 miles + £30 road tax.

My previous 170TDI 4x4 averaged 38_ 43mpg over 25,000miles (driven in the same way....but much faster acceleration.) :giggle:

I know which one I'd rather tow with.

I guess it comes down to how much you will tow. If it's just once a year then maybe the 1.6 will be just fineand up to the job.

If it's several times a year and on hilly/challenging roads then go for the 2.0.

Phil

Not a direct comparison I know but all I can offer!

I had a Suzuki SX4 4grip 1.6 petrol and towed a 1000kg caravan and it was useless, gutless and 20mpg when towing.

Same caravan now towed with 2l 110bhp diesel Yeti, no comparison. Hardly know the caravan is there and 36mpg.

When not towing the mpg goes up to 48.

Towing is stressful so anything that reduces the stress can only be good. Once on the motorway I engage cruise control and concentrate on the other drivers around.

Fred

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a test of the 110 2.0 on Friday, so will see what the economy is like then. We're definitely getting a Yeti, just got to choose thethe engine.

That said, the 2.0 will now cost us £300 less than the 1.6 for the SE which evens it out a bit more.