Fabia Vrs

chrish

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by fab16v in this post

Plus more tunable thanks to Jabba! :D

Just not the same engine note:( . Mines a little different. Nicer, deep tone now! ;)

The right exhaust could make the Fab vRS sound really cool - especially when the turbo spools up!

Originally posted by FabiaTDi in this post

The right exhaust could make the Fab vRS sound really cool - especially when the turbo spools up!

mmmmmm. Now theres a challenge! Custom exhaust on a vRS! :p

Need to find the money to buy it first though! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by fab16v in this post

mmmmmm. Now theres a challenge! Custom exhaust on a vRS! :p

Need to find the money to buy it first though! :rolleyes:

Can you get custom exhausts for the TDI setup? I love the idea of having a throatier TDI, if that's possible?? :D

I made my own custom exhaust on my 320d. Did mine out of 2.5 inch tubing straight to the back, ending in a resonator/canister with dual tips. Also eliminated the first resonator coming from the downpipe and the cat (harmful for the environment though). You only noticed it didn't have a cat when under hard aceleration at around 3500rpm upwards though. I loved how it sounded. Deep sound like probably a E46 330i.

the insurance group for the car, isn't going to be 12 more 8, 9 it will be based on the seat 1.9tdi pd engine, at present i have had only 1 company able to quote me and as time is runnign out i may go with them. The company is privilage insurance. the dif in cost from my 2.0 fabia elegance is only

I only hope the magic "RS" letters don't mean insurance companies will start over-inflatin premiums, whilst still not in full facts about the car's spec,etc...

I imagine the RS insurance will be a fair bit more than my current TDI.... :(

Jason,

That's why I started off by suggesting 12 and if its less than fine. I think Group 7/8 is about right if the Ibiza is 7.

I drove a dealer's demo TDI today and found the engine rather rattly/niosy after my vRS Oct but soon got used to it and it went very well. I checked the #2 fuel consumption and it read 58mpg, is that about right, if so I'm impressed?

They will be getting their first vRS in 10 days time and will try it out then and make a decision, meanwhile decided to go for a silver one (built last week), the Mrs liked best.

Chris

Originally posted by devonutopia in this post

Can you get custom exhausts for the TDI setup? I love the idea of having a throatier TDI, if that's possible?? :D

You can actually get rid of rear box and it doesnt increase noise that much (just have a straight through pipe instead)

Quicker turbo spool up definitely and nice loud turbo whine!

So it actually increases the BHP - in a de-cat stylee?

Chris - 58mpg is possible over 60mph journey. I got that recently even with my dragging wider wheels! I still get around 45mpg on motorways, doing around 80/85. The TDI is definitely frugal, and the noise tends to dissipate once it warms up - definitely tractor like from cold though, as are all diesels, I reckon.

Originally posted by devonutopia in this post

So it actually increases the BHP - in a de-cat stylee?

Maybe a few extra bhp, but the main benefit would be quicker turbo spool up.

Just bought Septembers issue of Diesel Car mag and the Fabia is on the front cover.

Contains a review of a lhd Fabia vRS - looks very promising.

What's the general consensus on the diesel rattle noise? I drove a 1.9TDI Ambiente yesterday and thought it was quite obtrusive especillly at idle/low speeds. Does the sound vary between models adue to soundproofing nd is there any reason to expect the vRS to be any quieter.

Chris

I wouldn't expect it to be any quieter than my car - if it is, I'd love to find out what they've done to reduce the noise. I think the lack of noise only really comes into its own at speed, although I've never felt the noise to be particularly bad around town. I'd rather be able to hear the note like I can now than for it to be SO quiet I can't hear anything and stall the thing (like my Dad's new Accord...)

As for Octy/Fabia TDI sound differences - I have no experience of a TDI Octy, but due to the fact the octy is supposed to be a classier car (like passat is to polo) I would hope it would be quieter...?

The TDI Octy can be quite noisy at tickover, especially when it is cold. Once you're on the move its a little noisier than a petrol, but I have to say its more that its a different sort of noise. Under hard acceleration it can also get quite thrashy. I think the timing on mine might have strayed a little which will get rectified at next service. Still going strong at 27.5k and no service indicator - maybe I'm going to make the magic 30,000!!

Cheers,

As a matter of interest what is your average fuel comsumption? Several people including the road test have commented that the 55 mpg figure Skoda quote is unlikey to be matched in practical driving. I can get 40 from my vRS Oct if the conditions are right and 55 doesn't seem that great for a small car with a big TD engine.

Chris

I agree with Howard; my previous Octy was an SLX TDi....rattlely on start and a little thrashy of hard acceleration but you would be hard to tell it was a diesel in normal or motorway driving.

Skodas diesels tend to be a little noiser when compared to their VW cousins purely because of the amount, or should I say lack of, sound proofing.

I think the PD diesels are a little bit more rattlely due to the indivdual pumps shutting off.

Overall though I got nothing but good things to say about the 110bhp diesel...loved the surf that torque curve!:D

Average consumption was around 48-50mpg....saw 60mpg on motorway trips if keeping to 70mph but if you can get 50mpg going "a little" faster.....hell why not?

Cheers.

Adrian.

Chris,

If I really thrash it I get below 50 mpg, but in normal conditions I get somewhere between 55 and 60mpg on my commute. Best I have had was an indicated 70.1mpg over 56 miles of *very* easy driving.

I'm well impressed with the economy. It's definitely better than what I was expecting when I bought the car.

HTH,

I've never had better than about 65mpg, that I can remember - perhaps because all my driving is normally at motorway speeds, which for me is usually not far off 90, TBH.

Anyway, as soon as I get to roads where an average of 60mph is possible, I end up throwing the car around bends as fast as I can, which doesn't help the economy at all. I like to hold that magic third gear for as long as possible - normally to around 75 when it starts to lose puff. :rolleyes: and I don't even bother looking at the mpg then! There's little point! :D