Is it advisable to have windows tinting (privacy glass)

Hi,

I have just picked up my brand new Octavia TSI in black. I have had cars before with tinted glasses (black privacy glass) and it does look good.

I have talked to tinting companies and they told me that the correct way to tint windows is to take the door panels out and do it properly. I am a bit sceptical about it as I wouldn't want to see my brand new car in that open state moreover having rattling noise once they put it back is my biggest concern.

Need some help if any one has had their rear windows tinted and had any issues after that.

Thanks

S

I had it done to my old car and had the worlds most annoying ratlle after which was due to the plastic on the rear window brake light, some felt would of probably solved it however, i did it properly this time and had it done at the factory and was cheaper

I had it done to my old car and had the worlds most annoying ratlle after which was due to the plastic on the rear window brake light, some felt would of probably solved it however, i did it properly this time and had it done at the factory and was cheaper

That is what I am worried about. When you say this'd time you had it from from the factory, did you have it on the order form or the dealer?

S

That is what I am worried about. When you say this'd time you had it from from the factory, did you have it on the order form or the dealer?

S

The order form so the car came from the factory with what i believe is stained glass rather than a film as to have it done properly they need to remove panels. Which is same if the dealer did it for you

The order form so the car came from the factory with what i believe is stained glass rather than a film as to have it done properly they need to remove panels. Which is same if the dealer did it for you

Makes sense fella.

Lots of people have it done but theres a world of difference between a good and bad job.

Ive had it on my last two cars and not my current one and have to say ive not missed it hugely. If i change my current car anytime soon ill probably get privacy glass just for the sake of my kids but i personally can take it or leave it. I wouldnt go to the troubke of having it done 3rd party, also IMO if you go too dark and it doesnt look OEM its worse than not having it.

Im not sure if Skoda do them for the MK3 but for the MK2 Hatch and Estate they did a rather nice set of fitted fixed sunblinds that allowed you to still open the rear windows etc,that might be a good option but again they are not cheap and suspect dealer fitment is recommended

Had my new Superb estate done by a company at Chalfont, the 3rd car they had done for me with no problems and the guy there took a lot of care (I had gone straight from picking it up at the dealer) but he also had a Bently and a Porshe to do after mine from the resective dealers.

we need recomendations on the forum..........

I have used a firm in leeds and have seen them at the BMW dealers doing the tints so they did mine and no rattles a tall I suppose its down to experiance  and how many cars they have done,

Purely a personal opinion of course, but I hate dark tinted windows, and NOT having them would be an essential feature of any new Skoda I ordered.

A light tint all round can look good and can be functional, but I feel anything more would make me look and feel, at best, a bit of a poseur and at worst, a dodgy third-rate criminal or drug dealer.  But ... just my opinion.

privacy shades, not available for mk3 yet. Had them on a 2006 mini. Great as can simply be taken out in a moment, bout 100--120 quid were the rear set for the mk2

Thanks Mate..

That helps..

S

Sunset glass is a factory option at £140 but only for the vRS trim and estate models in the UK. Have optioned it on our SE order, as I felt it kept our current Yeti that bit cooler inside when parked during the summer.

However I wouldn't go to the trouble of getting it done 3rd party if I was purchasing a stock or ex demo car without it.

TP

Sunset glass is a factory option at £140 but only for the vRS trim and estate models in the UK. Have optioned it on our SE order, as I felt it kept our current Yeti that bit cooler inside when parked during the summer.

However I wouldn't go to the trouble of getting it done 3rd party if I was purchasing a stock or ex demo car without it.

TP

Yes,

Thats the only thing stopping me.

S

• 2 weeks later...

This is a personal opinion and nothing else.

Tinted side rear windows spoil the appearance of the vehicle. They break the flow lines which run through colour, curve, angle and shape. The introduction of a tinted window adjacent to a clear one interrupts the important aspect of visual design and creates the effect of a van. Abrupt, harsh and functional.

The craft of visual design should not be confused with functional modification.

Tinted side rear windows spoil the appearance of the vehicle. They break the flow lines which run through colour, curve, angle and shape. The introduction of a tinted window adjacent to a clear one interrupts the important aspect of visual design and creates the effect of a van. Abrupt, harsh and functional.

Agree - well put.

Well explained and I completely agree.  There is a black Focus with heavily tinted rear side windows parked the other side of the road from my house.  It looks like a van version of the Focus.

Never actually seen the point anyway. Do some owners want to look like poseurs, boy-racer Barries or dodgy drug dealers?

I don't really care about the look. I paid for the sunset glass to reduce visibility into the estate back and hopefully reduce heat buildup as it does on my mates focus.

Plus I like vans :)

Yup, my S3 looks just like a van with very dark tints and only 2 doors.

Except Audi don't  make vans. ;)

My glass is factory tinted though, not film. Same with the Fiat which is also  

factory tinted.

I didn't spec it, as I bought both cars second hand but I would if I was buying new.  

Lots of 4wd type cars round here with xenons and lots of unlit roads too.  

No longer do I get dazzled by the Range Rover light show, my tints and auto dimming

rear view and side mirrors sort that right out.

I'm off out now to go sell some smack.

I ordered 'sun set' with my Octy which IMO isn't too dark at all. But instead of having very tinted glass I would prefer to buy privacy/sun shades and mount that on as an extra when needed (i.e. when travelling with a baby on the back seats...)

Tinted side rear windows spoil the appearance of the vehicle. They break the flow lines which run through colour, curve, angle and shape. The introduction of a tinted window adjacent to a clear one interrupts the important aspect of visual design and creates the effect of a van. Abrupt,

What a load of old tosh.

• Like 1

What a load of old tosh.

Aye maybe, but only in your opinion. I looked at the tint on the dealer demo (blue estate) and it looked a bit gangsta. But that's just my opinion, the one that counts when making buying decisions however.

• Like 1