Squeaking sound when the Hill Hold system is activated

AnatolyDAK

my car has hill hold???!  the skoda website is rubbish...

I don't know what it has to do with Skoda's website, but all Citigos from the SE upwards have ESC (Electronic Stability Control) which includes the hill hold function. It's in your handbook, page 62, under the heading "Stabilisation control (ESC)", subheading "Uphill start assist system".

• Like 1

A model answer Tom...

In our world of instant answers and gratification, there really is something to be said for reading manuals.

:blush:  Yes I was being lazy, the manual is even on this site! Fair cop guv.

But I come from writing websites - including a skoda dealers website in the past! and I kind of expect the specifications of a car to be on the car buyers lists.

A none owner might like to know what specification a car has, such as start/stop, hill start, cruise control etc.

I find the skoda website ( and probably man manufacturer websites) have some pretty car configurator tools, but they miss out on some general information as to what is included by default. Or if it is there, I just couldn't find it.

It's all very well having a configurator that lets you choose options, but it doesn't appear to list the standard equip?

Also the site for Citigo sport goes into a whole other section that seems to loose any relation the core citigo features?

anyway, back on topic, I tried hill start last night, and its weird but cool! no noises. and why the door must be closed is odd. why would you a) be driving with the door open, b] not want hill start if you did!

Edited by stooz
  • Like 1

I don't know what it has to do with Skoda's website, but all Citigos from the SE upwards have ESC (Electronic Stability Control) which includes the hill hold function. It's in your handbook, page 62, under the heading "Stabilisation control (ESC)", subheading "Uphill start assist system".

Regards reading the manual - pointless!  The manual is a one-size-fits-all work-out-for-yourself-whether-you-have-it-or-not!!  They don't even add a "where applicable" or "where fitted" to those items not standard across the range.

OK for obvious stuff - so yes I can see that despite the manual including it, I know I don't have a spare wheel or DSG gearbox but what about the more subtle stuff?

Example - My manual shows warning light for low screen washer fluid level.  I know from Octavia experience that only those with headlamp washers have it fitted but headlamp washers was not an option for the Roomster.  So does my car have it?  Still running the bottle down to find out!

I know its moving off topic but have to agree with "eccleshill" about the manual. I have sat for a long time in my Skoda after reading sections of the manual, trying to operate or activate various things that do not exist...grrr

I only found hill hold by accident when purposely trying to roll back a bit and initially thought it had a binding caliper, until I clicked it released after a couple of seconds every time. :)

Just enjoy the adventure of finding new things:)

The old days of specific models having certain options or fixed levels of trim are long gone with even base models being able to add various features at the ordering stage so the one size fits all manual is here to stay.

With nice friendly forums to keep us on track who needs a manual ;)

From the manual:

Uphill start assist system:
The uphill start assist makes it easier to start off on steep hills. The system holds
the brake pressure produced by the activation of the brake pedal for approx.
2 seconds after the brake pedal is released. The driver can therefore move his
foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal and start off on the slope,
without having to actuate the handbrake. The brake pressure drops gradually the
more you operate the accelerator pedal. If the vehicle does not start off within 2
seconds, it starts to roll back.
The uphill start assist is active as of a 5 % slope, if the driver door is closed. It is
always active on slopes when in forward or reverse start off. When driving down-
hill, it is inactive.

This is actually a feature. Not many know this.

But the sound is a warning that the HHC is not activated.

When you press down the brake when holding on af hill it HHC will activate and hold the car if you remove your foot from the brake pedal.

If you release pressure from the brake pedal a little bit and hold it there, HHC will deactivate. The sound then alarms you, so you know the car will not hold it self.

Pressing the brake pedal all the way down again will remove the sound and re-activate the HHC

For danish users is here an article from "nye veje"

HCC

Edited by the-toothfairy