My new Golf GTi

octavia5

Took delivery on Friday and spent more time cleaning and polishing it than driving, but it is every bit as good as I had hoped.

Mk7 Golf GTi Performance DSG, Nav, Adjustable Suspension, Winter Pack, 3 yrs Service and 5 Year Warranty.

IMG_0002copy_zps56729492.jpg

IMG_0003copy_zpsee313dd4.jpg

IMG_0005copy_zps76fd1f1f.jpg

IMG_0007copy_zps52aafb0a.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Test fit of my new Winter Wheels and Tyres

IMG_0005copy_zps760cf1e4.jpg

IMG_0001copy1_zps75688e61.jpg

Bought from mrwinterwheels :

http://www.mrwinterwheels.co.uk/17-vw-golf-vii-mark-7-alloy-winter-wheels-tyres-borbet.html

Wheels made in Germany (not Far East) and TUV tested for fitment to Golfs, Tyres are Goodyears which came second in the Auto Express Winter Tyre test this year, good price fitted, balanced and shipped - plus a £50 fuel voucher.  Very happy with the deal.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/64430/product-awards-2013-best-winter-tyres

Wheels are 17s but do just clear the larger calipers on the car so should also fit the new VRS which I believe also gets the 340mm front brakes. Wheel finish is like a small metal-flake finish which does not show up in the pics but looks very nice in the flesh.

Very nice. Actually liking the new Golf a lot more than the old ones.  :thumbup: Though not in primer colour.  :giggle:

Really? I love that colour. I think it looks great. They say if we were all the same it'd be a boring world though!

So lets get this right... you had to pay more for the Golf and then extra again for the PP just to get the brakes that are standard on the VRS?! :happy:  :giggle:  :rofl:

Thats a cracking looking car - sporty and very classy looking. Im still not 100% on the red line that goes through the headlamp (yes, im really picky!) but apart from that I think it looks spot on from all angles. Oh, and good choice on the options. Enjoy. :)

Well you do get a bit more power and a proper mechanical limited slip diff rather than the pseudo electric version, Oh you also get a pair of very nice GTI stickers on the front brake calipers  :happy:

But I am missing the larger Octavia boot.

Overall the GTi is much more agile than the Octy and I can feel the extra power even though I can not use it all till I have done few more miles to bed the engine in.  Fit and finish is also better and I love the wheels - though they will only be on for another month before the Winters go on, still like the Winters as well  :love:

It in fact has an e-Diff, mechanical but electronically controlled.

I also have a feeling the PP GTi has larger vented rear brakes that the Octavia doesnt get.

Golf GTi would be my preference over a vRS but sadly too small; think VAG will be making a GTD estate before long which'll be alright.

Yes you do get vented rear disc, I must admit that I am still trying to get used to the much smaller boot, but have added a few 'over head-rest hooks' to help hang the carriers when shopping. 

But the new Octavia is just too big for the garage and I did not really want/need a bigger car - why does every new model have to be bigger than the last, garages and parking spaces do not get bigger every couple of years, in fact looking a some new builds new us the garages seem to be built for Fiat 500s and Minis only - and I mean the old versions.

• 2 weeks later...
As the forecast is for a significant drop in temperatures I have just put my new Winters on so better grip and my Austins wont suffer from salt and potential slide damage.

IMG_0001copy_zps6b3ce0d8.jpg

Package bought from mrwinterwheels - with Goodyear Ultra 8's

http://www.mrwinterwheels.co.uk/17-vw-golf-vii-mark-7-alloy-winter-wheels-tyres-borbet.html
modify_inline.gif

They're roughly 26k with the DSG box iirc

Just had a look.  Petrol + DSG + leather + performance pack and you are almost at £31k before you add any other options.

Does look nice though and no doubt there are some discounts around.

Lovely car that!

I was extremely close to ordering basically the same car but in the Charcoal grey colour. Test drove 3 different varieties! Jealous! But didn't want to get some of the first ones out so bought an Edition 30 in the end.

Any plans for the car or just keeping it standard? 

Just had a look.  Petrol + DSG + leather + performance pack and you are almost at £31k before you add any other options.

Does look nice though and no doubt there are some discounts around.

With all the extras inc. the 5 year warranty and 3 years service and a set of winter wheels and tyres just under £30k after discounts

Lovely car that!

I was extremely close to ordering basically the same car but in the Charcoal grey colour. Test drove 3 different varieties! Jealous! But didn't want to get some of the first ones out so bought an Edition 30 in the end.

Any plans for the car or just keeping it standard? 

No plans at present but once run in and Spring gets here who knows.  Did buy with the intention of leaving it standard as it is plenty powerful enough for modern roads and the occasional track day if I feel like it. Road holding and comfort are great in both 'Comfort' and 'Normal'. Sport is a little firm for most roads in the UK.

The DSG box seems well suited to the GTi, does tend to change up a little soon in normal when not pushing on but then there's plenty of low end torque to handle that.  When in normal I like the ability to just blip the paddles to drop a gear or 2 to overtake and then after 30 seconds the box just drops back into normal, no need to go into sport or manual its a really nice feature I did not have in the Octy.