The wait begins!

silver1011

North Yorkshire Police have invested in several new speed camera vans of late.

Seen them parked up in all manor of different positions over the recent months but always been on or below the limit.

This afternoon I was on a quiet stretch of A64 dual carriageway in lane two following a safe distance behind a BMW 3 Series.

A flash of her brake lights woke me up and alerted me to the presence of the van. A quick check of my speedo showed I was at 80mph and this was a second after lifting-off.

Looks like I'm heading for 3 points / £60 or a drivers awareness course at £93.

Dammit.

Julia-Mulligan-three-vans.jpg

Edited by silver1011

10% + 2 mph if you're lucky.

Your speedo will read over by about 4 mph so you should be ok.

The speed course is not too bad as long as you don't fall asleep!

The ironic thing is that I was on the way home from getting a quote from the bodyshop to repair a dent on the rear door from a lorry that side-swiped me on a roundabout last month.

I joked to the guy that I'd parked in bay 13 and how it might be unlucky for some.

30 minutes later... unlucky for me by the looks of it!

Speedos can be up to 10% over ,but not under. So 80 ,could be 72 at best .10% +2 @70 = 79. So prosecute at 78 ,that's 2 over at momemt of lift off , brownpants days for the next 14 ( plus day of suspect offence). Depends on the target point -I was making good progress on an emptysection of the M74, bit back ,came round a corner and spotted van on bridge,.Got it down to 75 quickly .Never heard anythiong . Don't forget to check mail over next few days ,asanything over ( assuming you are RK) harms the prosecution case -see PEPPIPOO in that case .( IANAL), BUT if posting on PEPPIPOO ,as I always warn - BE CAREFULL OF POSTS ON OPEN FORA,as there are trawlers from SCP on there looking for brownie points to help a conviction . I'd also be carefullabout posting on any forum as you never know just how many trawler folks are around .

There's one of these Vans often parked at a level crossing in Starbeck, Harrogate ( Rail Crossing ). It's stickered up with " Network Rail" all over it but it's a Speed  Van. It also films cars jumping the crossing when the lights flash, also checks number plates

Bit Cheeky

BE CAREFULL OF POSTS ON OPEN FORA,as there are trawlers from SCP on there looking for brownie points to help a conviction . I'd also be carefullabout posting on any forum as you never know just how many trawler folks are around .

This is something that frequently gets posted up, BUT - has anyone got any proof of this? Other than the usual internet urban myth stuff which just goes round in circles referencing each other?

TBH it seems fairly unlikely - how many paid for man hours would it require, even with help from GCHQ & CIA, to check posts, try to track down the posters, issue documents etc. etc. etc.

None of which would be admisable in court as there is no corroborating evidence.

All for £100.

I know that where there have been examples of ludicrous driving posted up on You Tube & FaceBook where the Police have tracked down the miscreants, (Google copt elm road speeding, for a case local to me in 2007) but that was a case of local police recognising the location and laying in wait to catch the silly bar stewards.

Otherwise, I don't think that it is very likely.

• Like 1

There's one of these Vans often parked at a level crossing in Starbeck, Harrogate ( Rail Crossing ). It's stickered up with " Network Rail" all over it but it's a Speed  Van. It also films cars jumping the crossing when the lights flash, also checks number plates

Bit Cheeky

I doubt very much that it is conducting (or is even equipped with the necessary hardware) for speed monitoring. If it is liveried up as a Network Rail vehicle then it may well be conducting checks for people contravening the red traffic signals, stopping on the yellow hatchings. It will probably have some kind of ANPR equipment, but then most filling stations and out of town shopping centre car-parks have them as well these days.

Speedos can be up to 10% over ,but not under. So 80 ,could be 72 at best .10% +2 @70 = 79. So prosecute at 78 ,that's 2 over at momemt of lift off , brownpants days for the next 14 ( plus day of suspect offence). Depends on the target point -I was making good progress on an emptysection of the M74, bit back ,came round a corner and spotted van on bridge,.Got it down to 75 quickly .Never heard anythiong . Don't forget to check mail over next few days ,asanything over ( assuming you are RK) harms the prosecution case -see PEPPIPOO in that case .( IANAL), BUT if posting on PEPPIPOO ,as I always warn - BE CAREFULL OF POSTS ON OPEN FORA,as there are trawlers from SCP on there looking for brownie points to help a conviction . I'd also be carefullabout posting on any forum as you never know just how many trawler folks are around .

Are you on commission for how many times you can mention P******o?

And what's all this about trawlers

If I started a thread boasting about doing 120 in a 30 it wouldn't be something on which a prosecution could be brought

• Like 1

A flash of her brake lights woke me up and alerted me to the presence of the van. A quick check of my speedo showed I was at 80mph and this was a second after lifting-off.

Don't let RainbowFire hear you say that, he'll have you lynched before you know it not to mention bring your entire driving history question and then deem you a speed freak without actually knowing you!

Good luck though dude if you weren't too far over or within 3 years of completion of a speed awareness course they might send you on one so you keep your license nice and shiny!