Rapid Question

I'm just wondering if anyone considered the Seat Toledo before they bought their Rapid and if so what swayed their decision. I'm on the lookout for a new car and both are on my shortlist so I'd be grateful for any info that may help me make up my mind.  :hi:

i thought about the Toledo as well.

two things made me decide to buy the Rapid.

1. i like the looks of Rapid better than the Toledo (exterior looks). interior is pretty much the same, engines too.

2. Toledo is still not imported in Greece :)

I did have a look at the Toledo, but as Arabas said I prefer the looks of the Rapid. Had a look at the Leon too as it looks so good from the front with the LED lights but it has sooo much less room it couldn't even be considered.

Also another bonus was the Local Skoda dealers are exceptionally good.

I looked at both, it turns out that Seat was more expensive with the features I needed (about 10% more expensive and I had to get stuff that I didn't want). They weren't as flexible as Škoda when it comes to being able to pick and choose certain features, with Seat you have to take the whole package. Eg, I wanted electric windows in the back and you have to get the most expensive package "Style". This also means not being able to get the weaker 1.2TSI, but they only offer the more powerful one in this trim.

Some benefits of the Seat is that the interior seemed a bit nicer than the standard Škoda. But I went with the Dynamic seats in the Rapid, so those are even better than the Seat.

Both are made in the same factory, it's the same car, except for the badge and lights.

Still wouldn't make any difference to have gone for the SEAT as it's the same car!

..but is available with bigger discounts! Nicer external styling, nicer colour options, slightly nicer interior but very little in it IMO. Up to £4,000 discount currently available which to me means it offers better vfm given its fundamentally the same mechanics underneath. The main downside would be having to deal with a Seat dealer instead of my (brilliant) local Skoda dealer.

• Like 1

Not a lot between them really. In the beginning the Rapid was better equipped but this has been balanced out by heavier discounting on the Toledo as noted. Toledo also had some extra stuff like MFSW on both sides (rather than audio only) but this is now on the Rapid too. 

I'd just base the decision on which one you prefer the looks of and which is better value for money at the time (currently lots of nearly new stock been sold of cheap). SEAT residuals are possibly slightly weaker but not a big difference. Its the same as Citigo vs Mii really. 

..but is available with bigger discounts! Nicer external styling, nicer colour options, slightly nicer interior but very little in it IMO. Up to £4,000 discount currently available which to me means it offers better vfm given its fundamentally the same mechanics underneath. The main downside would be having to deal with a Seat dealer instead of my (brilliant) local Skoda dealer.

Yes and no to the above..

I do like the looks of the SEAT, but I like the looks of a decently specced Rapid too. Don't agree with the nicer colour options, in fact the colour palette on the SEAT seems a bit more restricted than Skoda.

Interior on the new Rapid will be better than the SEATs now with new steering wheels, dash trims, new seats fabrics. I don't think SEAT have got the decorative trims on the dash yet at all for example.

SEAT are offering better (published) deals at the moment though... having said all of that if I were buying soon I would be looking at the Spaceback anyway which SEAT don't do.

Thanks for the replies, they are very welcome. To be a bit more specific I am looking at a second hand Toledo 1.6 TDI SE or a Rapid 1.6 TDI Elegance both less than 12 months old with around 3000 miles on the clock and around £11.5-12k before haggling. I plan on viewing both cars this weekend and I feel more comfortable now that I have a few opinions to help me choose. 

Yes and no to the above..

I do like the looks of the SEAT, but I like the looks of a decently specced Rapid too. Don't agree with the nicer colour options, in fact the colour palette on the SEAT seems a bit more restricted than Skoda.

Interior on the new Rapid will be better than the SEATs now with new steering wheels, dash trims, new seats fabrics. I don't think SEAT have got the decorative trims on the dash yet at all for example.

SEAT are offering better (published) deals at the moment though... having said all of that if I were buying soon I would be looking at the Spaceback anyway which SEAT don't do.

Agreed, the colour options are more limited but theres two on the Toledo I really like I prefer the rear end styling of the Toledo by quite a degree. Id probably say I prefer the front of the Rapid though. INteresting point re the new interior improvements on the Skoda. I looked at them both sometime around June so my interior preference may well have now changed. Surely though the Toledo will get the same interior dash improvements? My gut feeling though is that the Rapid/Toledo is very much bought on its vfm and I still say that 4k v's 2.5k discount goes in the favour of the Toledo.  :)

I definitely prefer the exterior styling on the Rapid to the Toledo personally, this is afterall the reason why the VAG group offer essentially the same car across different brands/styling, because different people like different things :)

In reality, I chose my Rapid because I got what was at the time an excellent deal that I was (and remain to be) very happy with.

I purchased a Toledo a couple of months ago - got a good deal on an ex demo with 900 miles on the clock and managed to part ex my old Mk1 Desiel Octavia (10 years old 124K)  We looked at Rapids and Toledos and frankly the difference is no difference - really in the end it was down to what the dealers had in the colour, spec and price to suit us.

But I am pleased so far with the 1.2tsi engine I just have to remember not to put desiel in it after all these years!

• Like 1

Just bought a Toledo 1.6 TDI SE with just over 2000 miles on the clock for a smidge under 11k so I've got a good deal I think. As it's essentially the same car I'll still lurk around as there's lots of useful info in here. Thanks to everyone for their input it's been very helpful. 

• Like 1