Fabia Vrs mark 2 oil usage and dsg problems

VW 502  or VW 504 if they have in Longlife, Your Castrol Edge is fine.

full synthetic oil 5w 30 or 5w 40,  if its needing to keep being topped up then what ever is cheapest.

If all is good then Mobile 1 might be worth while using, but not on an Oil User.

Nothing wrong with Asda or Tesco Branded oil if it needs lots and Skoda are not providing it for free.

4 litres for £16 or less is OK IMO.

will stick with the Castrol edge 5w-30 fully synthetic means it only using 0.3 litres now and not 0.9 before the fix. Will be interesting to see how much is uses when I go Edinburgh in a few weeks with doing a lot of motorway miles. 

• Like 1

LOL,  I am off to Edinburgh just shortly.

I hope when you are up, you get the the Xmas Market at Princess Street Gardens.

Watch out for speed cameras north of the Border & and plenty of Unmarked about, we have the new Super Dooper Police Scotland in some nice cars.

george

Quick update I should have my oil consumption test results next week for those who interested in the weight of oil etc. Dealer called yesterday and said he hadn't forgot send them he was waiting for my extended warranty be written up so he can post them out the same time. So hopefully will get them about Wednesday I think so will upload them on here for you all. 

The 'Skoda Approved Vehicle Extended Warranty' is pretty Extensive.

You will get the Booklet/Policy, or you should,  and will be able to read the Exclusions.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

If they are 'Extending a Warranty' it should be the same cover as the 'Original Manufacturers Warranty',

an Extension, same General T&C's and Exclusions etc..

The Major Mechanicals are Covered, ie Engine/Gearbox.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting.  

Did somebody sign that and put their name to it as having done the test and written the report?

??

& Where does it show on the Dipstick with a Hot Dip & also with a Cold Dip when they put the car out with the correct amount of oil in.?

So it shows it used well over 0.5 litres in 1000 km . At first Test,   (514.2 Grams of oil used, 1 litre weighs 856 Grams.)

& less,

and within there Acceptable figure after the Breather Mod. (Extrapolated Figures,)

So the proof is if the Oil Usage stays lower in Real Mileage and usage over several months.

ie, Only 0.5-1 Litres for every 1200 miles covered.

You had best keep an accurate record of the oil you need to add.

george

After a hot dip it was just over cross hatched area, cold dip was up to the orange blob.

The 420 miles I did on each test was all short journeys and cold starts with no motorway driving. I've noticed recently that when I do motorway miles it hardly uses anything. 

I take it they never charged or tried to for the test, it was an Oil User and actually still is.

Stuff checking Oil and topping up ever 2 or 3 tanks of fuel once a car is run in because they say it is an acceptable use.

Most of them usually use no or very little oil on long journeys thankfully.

You just need to keep track & records and see what happens over time.

That was pretty high oil usage pre Breather Valve Update.

Unlikely that there will be that much of an improvement over a period of time, but fingers crossed.

I am just a bit doubtful of their figures and calculations, but only time tells.

At least that person had the Oil weighing 857 Grams per litre.

Unlike the other members test where they had the oil Weight at start of the test as 1000 grams for a litre.

george

Yeah will b keeping a eye on it from now on, it got 3 year warranty left so I'm ok till then.

The other week I topped the oil up by 0.4 litre when I did 900 mile which took it back to just above cross hatched area. I'm happy to top up that amount every 900 mile so hopefully it will stop at that.

• Like 1

Did they give a 2 year Extended Warranty as a gesture, to continue after the One Year Approved Skoda Warranty Expires?

That is the minimum that Skoda UK or any Skoda Dealers selling a Used vRS should be giving.

Makes a big difference in peace of mind  when buying a used Twincharger.

Just a pity the treatment different owners are getting is so random.

I only got 12 month extended warranty from Skoda, the rest of my warranty is from the dealer I brought my car from which covers everything from the engine to dsg etc. Only cosmetic things are not covered.

The dealer was good enough to move their warranty to start after the Skoda extended warranty ends. 

• 2 months later...

Just for comparison:

I have early 2012 model (CAVE). I bought it with 28 000km (it was auto dealers test car). And until than i made 15 000km and used 0.5l of oil. (i refiled it two times with 0.250l Castrol Edge w5/40 full sythetic)

This is normal and expected. My consumption was from 8.2 to 9.0 L/100km.

I think it is silly that acceptable oil usage is 0.5l / 1000km. Or even 0.3l. Modern engine should't use soooo much oil.

• 4 weeks later...

Friend of mine has same car as myself - Fabia mkII Vrs.  He noticed a high oil usage last year, and took in to the local dealership, Horton's Lincoln. After various checks they decided to change the engine.  This was around Nov 2013.

This year he noticed that things hadn't really changed, and returned it back to the dealership for checks.  Again, after various checks, they found fault with the engine and offered him another change of engine, or a deal to change his car.

(It seems it is a known fault with various CAVE? engines.)  He chose the latter option and is now getting a 1.2 Fabia (again with DSG).  Hortons have been great for him to deal with.

As for my Vrs,  I check the oil level regularly, and hardly ever even need a top up.  It seems that its just luck whether you get a good or bad engine, but that's not good enough for a major car company is it?!

I use Horton's myself, and find them an excellent dealership. Other dealerships may not be so helpfull. 

• Like 2