Block Heater, 1.3 felicia.

I want to be able to pre-heat the engine on my felicia.
I have previously used a coolant heater which I installed on one of the coolant hoses.
This morning, it was broken.

Now I wonder if someone has experience with installing a freeze plug heater, since they are more efficient I would prefer this model.
However, they are more prone to leaking and such...
Anyone has some experience about this on the felly?

Is the freeze plug easy to access?

Block heaters are factory fitted at the wast majority of cars in my country.

What I'm trying to achieve is a warmer engine to start with, to make it run more efficient the first 3 or so km, before it would naturally get up to heat.
To decrease wear and tear on the engine oil and components.

Is the freeze plug easy to access?

I couldn't find anything resembling a freeze plug on the engine block. It might be due to the fact specific information on Felicia for arctic climate is very scarce. But I doubt a freeze plug would be any practical use because the freeze plug is far from being a precision low temperature safety device and by the time it pops out there are cracks already in cooling passages. In other words, Skoda deals with freeze problem by recommending a proper antifreeze mixture. The only place I see fit to mount an electrical engine preheater is the thermostat area, but you have to have a metallic type housing for it.

The pre heaters I have seen are petrol, not electric, they heat the coolant and circulate it around the engine, so the engine is warmed before the ignition is switched on.

There are two versions, a manual, and one with a remote timer you can set to start the warm-up 1/2 hour before you usually want to leave.

I forget the name, but do remember they werent cheap.

Block plugs and freeze plugs are more often seen in engine steel blocks. Aluminum engine blocks benefit from more modern casting technologies and are machined easier. You have below several examples of electric engine heaters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghdtB2HK6L8&hd=1

Edited by adurer

krrcan

What is the average temperature where you live? And the minimum? Are you using a special engine oil during winter?

I'm asking that because the only reasonable motive to have an engine preheater is to be more cozy inside, but you didn't mention that, so I guess you have gloves and stuff. 

Maybe it's worth while thinking about a little more wear for a few seconds after starting. But a good synthetic engine oil should take care of that brilliantly. Yeah, I know those who sell engine preheaters do a great job on marketing them 'by fear', the most despicable form of advertising, right before using kids in commercials. 

As for the increased fuel consumption till the engine gets warm... a preheater runs also on fuel or electricity. So it's an illusion you're saving money.

Just my 2 cents. It's your call.

Edited by adurer

Gasoline is heavily taxed, electricity isn't.
The savings you make from using a block heater is small, but in my opinion not neglectable.
I removed the PAS for economy, remember? :)

If the engine is warm, there is less tear and wear on the engine as well, and on the oil.
I don't know how much this differance is, but I don't mind spoiling my beloved felly abit. :love:

Here the electric is as expensive as the petrol!!

It is not just the comfort and wear and tear - it saves you sitting in the car uselessly for 10 minutes, waiting for the warm air to defog the windows.

And as mentioned, if you covert to LGP, you can run the car 99% on LPG instead of running on petrol for 10 minutes until the engine is warm enough to switch; important in my situation where most of my driving is stop-start 1-2 miles (1.5-3km); my longest normal drive is only 6 miles each way, with a 15-25 minute wait.

Edited by GentleGiant

• 4 months later...

Stumbled upon this thread and saw that I forgot to post a update!

I found a suitable block-heater:

http://www.defa.com/sv/automotive/warmup/find_your_engine_heater/
http://imgur.com/czWZmgK

Costed me about 70 euros.
Installation wasn't that hard, took me a couple of hours.

Have been enjoying a pre-heated engine all winter now, and I plan on continue to use it for the summer as well.

• Like 1