Another site going off-line Isohunt

Dean-

Sorry, the web page you have requested is not available through Virgin Media.

:( Need to use a proxy.

Really annoys me when ISPs do that... Slowly controlling what is & what isnt deemed as acceptable for its users to go on... Each and every day more becoming like China!

• Like 1

ISOHunt was always a rock solid website, I used it in preference to PB mainly because of that, PB is so flaky that you spend half your time reloading the page because it has timed out.

Oh well, there are still a few good (but quiet) sites to get my fix of US shows a year before they reach the UK.

Its' amazing Gary Fung kept it alive for 10.5 years!

According to Alexa.com, it ranked as the 423rd top site on the web for global traffic and 167th in Canada.

Look's like he will be paying for the privilege longer than that.

Its' amazing Gary Fung kept it alive for 10.5 years!

According to Alexa.com, it ranked as the 423rd top site on the web for global traffic and 167th in Canada.

Look's like he will be paying for the privilege longer than that.

He probably has the cash to spare though I'd imagine, think about that traffic volume, then think about how much he probably got paid for adverts on a site that busy.

I never used this site, but did it allow people to circumvent copywrite material? ie share stuff they weren't entitled too?  I'm sure they did a lot of good stuff too :)

Yep, like most torrent sites, it's primary purpose was piracy.

I'll admit to downloading US TV shows as there's quite a lot that doesn't make it over here, or as a shortcut to avoid the wait for them to be on a freeview channel, or there's no way of getting them without lining Mr Murdoch's pockets.

If there was a legal and sensibly priced alternative method I'd probably be near the head of the queue.

When it comes to music I only rarely download, and that's usually as a way to hear a bit more of an album that I'm not sure about before I buy it. Without that option I almost certainly wouldn't "risk" the money, and I think that's worked out very nicely for the record industry on the whole. I've spent a lot of money on bands that I've first heard through a copied CD. One that I went to see a few days ago I first got a CDR from my brother and I've then bought 8 albums and been to 20+ live shows.

Films I don't download either. I'll very happily pay cinema prices for anything new that I want to see, and then Lovefilm gets me all the rest.

• Like 1

For me it was great to find long lost shows (radio broadcasts)that never made it to the popular format of cd/dvd. 

Isohunt wasn't particularly rich in these and admit when Demonoid was pulled I lost interest in the scene.

Some fabulous stuff was to be found like the deleted Bugs Bunny show that are no longer 'PC' and Radio shows of the Goons and Willy Rushton persuasion.

All lost without the few out there who had the foresight to preserve them when the original broadcaster didn't.